Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,654 Posts
Wait til you have to replace a LED headlight because one element has failed - Well over $1000 plus installation another $300.
Headlight Assembly, R Part Number: 33100-TG7-A21 $1092.75

No thanks, Halogen is just fine for me.

·
Premium Member
2018 Ridgeline RTLT in the odd 'green' shade. stock, with bed cover, I am 02nd owner
207 Posts
Wait til you have to replace a LED headlight because one element has failed - Well over $1000 plus installation another $300.
Headlight Assembly, R Part Number: 33100-TG7-A21 $1092.75

No thanks, Halogen is just fine for me.
??$1000.00 ?? for a light bub!! WOW, someone is making the Big Money. I think I payed circa $30.00 for a LED headlight bulb for my Suzuki Burgman

·
Registered
2020 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E
93 Posts
Yes it's so expensive that Salvage Yard units look very attractive at ~1/2 price. I replaced an LED taillight on my Wife's Passat Wagon that way. I also upgraded the High-Beams and Fog Lamps on my RL with LED replacement "Bulbs"...sooooo much better than the OEM Halogen Bulbs.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Yes it's so expensive that Salvage Yard units look very attractive at ~1/2 price. I replaced an LED taillight on my Wife's Passat Wagon that way. I also upgraded the High-Beams and Fog Lamps on my RL with LED replacement "Bulbs"...sooooo much better than the OEM Halogen Bulbs.
What LED bulbs did you go with on both fog and High?

·
Administrator
16,835 Posts
Well,Of COURSE its not available, profit is the god of all companies
Perhaps a more plausible explanation is that there's no standard, DOT-approved LED while standards for sealed beam and halogen bulbs have been around for decades. Replacement incandescent bulbs are everywhere because there are only a few common types. With LED headlights, virtually every design is different. Perhaps one day LED lighting will become as standardized as incandescents, the housings will become relampable, and you can buy replacement LED elements at any auto parts store at a much lower cost. Until then... :)

·
Premium Member
2018 Ridgeline RTLT in the odd 'green' shade. stock, with bed cover, I am 02nd owner
207 Posts
Perhaps a more plausible explanation is that there's no standard, DOT-approved LED while standards for sealed beam and halogen bulbs have been around for decades. Replacement incandescent bulbs are everywhere because there are only a few common types. With LED headlights, virtually every design is different. Perhaps one day LED lighting will become as standardized as incandescents, the housings will become relampable, and you can buy replacement LED elements at any auto parts store at a much lower cost. Until then... :)
You are being too kind to the auto industry, IMHO. There are NO standard DOT approved LED standards for motorcycles. motor scooters either. But you have a choice of perhaps a dozen BULBS and just take out the Edison bulb, and add the LED bulb. No need to buy the entire front fairing just to get a bulb.

All to often parts seem to be a money making gimmick; ref. my neighbors Caddy truck, its a Ford F0150 'in a tuxedo " but they want circa $200.00 to change an Edison bulb, because the socket is made 'odd' from the F150, so an 'odd' bulb is needed.

·
Premium Member
4,466 Posts
You are being too kind to the auto industry, IMHO. There are NO standard DOT approved LED standards for motorcycles. motor scooters either. But you have a choice of perhaps a dozen BULBS and just take out the Edison bulb, and add the LED bulb. No need to buy the entire front fairing just to get a bulb.

All to often parts seem to be a money making gimmick; ref. my neighbors Caddy truck, its a Ford F0150 'in a tuxedo " but they want circa $200.00 to change an Edison bulb, because the socket is made 'odd' from the F150, so an 'odd' bulb is needed.
The problem here is that the reflector can be designed for a halogen bulb or an LED "bulb" or array. For an LED headlight with a lot of 'throw' to get light far down the road, you need a deep reflector. Halogen reflectors are too shallow, so if you put an LED "bulb" in the housing, you typically get a blinding wall of light right in front of the vehicle. It's impressive to be sure, but may be fooling you into thinking you have more visibility than you actually do, say, a good 150 yards in front of you. This, along with blinding oncoming drivers with scattered light, is why it is illegal to put LEDs into headlight housings designed for halogen bulbs, when operating the vehicle on public roads.

I have an expensive LED flashlight designed to throw light quite a distance. It has a single LED set in a deep reflector. I have another LED flashlight designed to be a flood light. It has multiple LEDs with a shallow reflector. It is great for lighting up a room, but doesn't light up anything 50 feet away.

·
Administrator
16,835 Posts
By "Caddy truck", do you mean the 2002-2013 Cadillac Escalade EXT? That truck used industry-standard 9005/9006 (halogen) D1S/D1R (HID) bulbs.

·
Premium Member
207 Posts
By "Caddy truck", do you mean the 2002-2013 Cadillac Escalade EXT? That truck used industry-standard 9005/9006 (halogen) D1S/D1R (HID) bulbs.
And the answer is YES, and the details I did not know of thanks

·
Premium Member
207 Posts
The problem here is that the reflector can be designed for a halogen bulb or an LED "bulb" or array. For an LED headlight with a lot of 'throw' to get light far down the road, you need a deep reflector. Halogen reflectors are too shallow, so if you put an LED "bulb" in the housing, you typically get a blinding wall of light right in front of the vehicle. It's impressive to be sure, but may be fooling you into thinking you have more visibility than you actually do, say, a good 150 yards in front of you. This, along with blinding oncoming drivers with scattered light, is why it is illegal to put LEDs into headlight housings designed for halogen bulbs, when operating the vehicle on public roads.

I have an expensive LED flashlight designed to throw light quite a distance. It has a single LED set in a deep reflector. I have another LED flashlight designed to be a flood light. It has multiple LEDs with a shallow reflector. It is great for lighting up a room, but doesn't light up anything 50 feet away.
And again you are correct in your views. In the case of my Burgman{I use that machine as its the one I know} it has a deep reflector set up. Via the Burgman USA forum, I found which of the LEDs work best with the reflector. Even with the reflector set up, not all LEDs work alike in it-ask me not the'why' of it. This is a very useful exchange for all, IMHO

·
Registered
2020 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E
93 Posts
What LED bulbs did you go with on both fog and High?
I got both sets from Amazon back in August 2020:

High Beam: HB3 High Beam LEDs, 60W ea., 10,000 Lumens ea., 6000K Color Temp. (Car Work Box $52.99)

Fogs: H8 Fog Lamp LEDs, 30W ea., 5,000 Lumens ea., 6500K Color Temp. (Fahren $39.99)

They're working great so far!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts