Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My shift lever has always been hard to move. In particular, when I go from drive to park or reverse to park, it feels like it doesn't want to go there. My dealer looked at it and we compared a couple other Ridgelines, which were not so bad. Is this normal?

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
You did not mention if you are pulling the lever towards you first then shift down or up. There are certain moves that you have to do this i.e. P to R. Other moves can be done by simply shifting up or down without having to pull it towards you first. An example, R to N to D. After backing up, I will use a overhand push down on the shifter. Whereas, on other moves, I would use underhand move to pull towards me and then pull down. It is further explained on pg 193 in your book. :)

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for replying, but I realize you must pull the shifter towards you when trying to go into Park. It still requires more effort than I think it should, certainly more than any car I've ever owned. The service guy I talked to (dealership's #1 service tech) said that he thought the shifter is mated to a cable that runs down to the transmission and did not have an adjustment. I guess I will wait a while longer to see if it clears up (6000 miles so far).

·
Registered
138 Posts
Like any Honda with an automatic transmission I've owned, the shifter lever requires some "breaking in." For the first month or two it seems hard to shift into any gear. After about a month or so, the shift lever will move smooth as silk.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I had the same concern about my Ridgeline until I studied the diagram in the owner's manual. There are several 'stages' or 'levels' that the shifter must be moved to for various purposes.

I suspect the owner, rather than the car, gets broken in after a few months. :D

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I will go lift some weights and read the owner's manual. Who will teach my twin girls? They don't exercise or follow directions.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Desert Ridge said:
I had the same concern about my Ridgeline until I studied the diagram in the owner's manual. There are several 'stages' or 'levels' that the shifter must be moved to for various purposes.

I suspect the owner, rather than the car, gets broken in after a few months. :D
I can take some kidding ;) , but I'll still stand by my assertion that the shifter mechanism loosens up a little after some usage. My CR-V was hard to shift at first, after a few months it just slid into gear. And my Acura MDX, with a console mounted shifter as opposed to a column shifter, now glides between gears. The first month or two it was much stiffer, even knowing the sequence of when to pull towards you, etc.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I think i saw my next question in another thread, but im going to throw it out here anyway.

I dont so much have a problem with it being hard to shift.... but who else is DRIVEN NUTS by over shooting reverse when comming out of park?????
I have to be SOOOOooo deliberate to not go right past reverse and into Neutral?
any thoughts on this???

·
Registered
20 Posts
The first couple days I had issues going from Park to Reverse and vice versa. Now that I've had the truck for a week, I've gotten used to how I need to shift it to not "over shift" past what I wanted.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts