Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,825 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy,

Has anyone installed a remote starter in their Ridgeline? I live in Ohio and there will be winter days when I want to start my truck well before I'm ready to drive it (I hate taking a scraper to the glass in my vehicles!). I'm not fond of the idea of carrying an additional remote but I would do it to avoid scratching the glass with a scraper.

Thanks for any info/details that you might provide.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Yes, I did. And I did it myself. I did it along with an alarm, which takes away the need for two remotes. Adding a remote starter without adding an alarm would require two remotes for the vehicle, or for you to always use the key in the door to unlock it.

The only other real issue is dealing with the Immobilizer circuitry. I took care of this by using a device designed to handle this and installing a programmed but uncut key into it. It only activates when the remote starter is starting the vehicle, so unless it is started by remote the immobilizer still kicks in and prevents the vehicle from starting without a key.

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
I added a DEI system... works great.. I personally do not like the key / remote so I gave them that one to hide in the dash to allow it to start. Now I have a plain normal looking key, a remote thats good up to 1/3 mile, and ability to raise and lower all 4 windows as far as the remote can reach...helps when it starts to downpor rain!
Someone else on the group had givin the wiring harness and code info, let me know & i'll hunt for it and post it again...BTW... dont let DEI sell you thier all 4 window modules...very expensive(labor intensive) ..any alarm shop can tap Hondas door key switch all reasdy in place!

·
Premium Member
1,825 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cool! I don't plan to do the install myself but it's good to know that it can be done. I'll be asking many questions, of the installer, before proceeding. :)

Thanks!

·
Registered
67 Posts
I have a remote start in my 2000 Odyssey since new and had the same guy install one in my Ridgeline. Used the valet key and the regular system stays intact. Paid $200.00 for remote starter, two remotes and labor. Worth it in the northeast and with two kids I leave it running alot without the key in it. I literally use it everytime I'm in the van and when I get over being so protective of my truck I'll probably use it just as much!

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
ridgeline5 said:
i had installed the Clifford Matrix 3.5 in the Ridge, so far so good!
Hi, I sent you private message a while ago asking you for details on your install. Did you do the install yourself?

I purchased a Clifford Matrix 10.5 and would love to get the install started (I keep putting it off). DJDJ kindly gave me the Ridgeline wiring info, but need to know if there is anything with the alarm side of things I need to be aware of.

thanks...........

·
Registered
55 Posts
I plan to install a remote starter on mine as well, I have a NAVI though and heard there may be some issues. I don't want an alarm really as I have one on my expedition and it is more a pain then anythign else. Also, does anyone know the Avitar remote starter brand?

Hopefully the seat warmers switch can be left on when I exit the truck as would like to leave the switch on so when I start the truck, that worsk too.

Thanks, snow is coming and I'll need it.

·
Registered
86 Posts
mugen1 said:
Hi, I sent you private message a while ago asking you for details on your install. Did you do the install yourself?

I purchased a Clifford Matrix 10.5 and would love to get the install started (I keep putting it off). DJDJ kindly gave me the Ridgeline wiring info, but need to know if there is anything with the alarm side of things I need to be aware of.

thanks...........

yes, there is an issue...there's a hood pin that is connected to the unlock/lock button from the factory key, that has to be spliced and then connected together to the system can think it's "open hood" so the clifford brain can be first in command. that's the only thing i know of.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I'm having my remote start done 2morrow. But I've been told and even tried myself that you NEED a seperate remote from the factory key since you wont be able to open the door with the factory key once the car is started. I started the truck with the valet key and tried locking and unlocking the truck with the factory key and it will not work. I was told that the immobilizer circuit thinks there is a key in the ignition. They said the alternative is that when i walk up to the door of the truck, I will need to put the physical key in the door lock to unlock the door.

Just what I've been told......

Vinny :)

·
Registered
125 Posts
Had the compustar two-way lcd remote starter/alarm installed. So far works great just in time to the snows a com'in

·
Registered
268 Posts
vincent007 said:
I was told that the immobilizer circuit thinks there is a key in the ignition.
It isn't the immobilizer circuit. It's the factory security system doing that. It tries to be smarter than you are.

I highly suggest an aftermarket alarm, just for this (and other) reasons.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Ridgeline Crime Unit said:
Mine is being installed today. No second remote though. Mine is being programmed, that I hit lock 3 times on the factory remote to activate remote start.
Which brand remote start did you have installed? Not having to use another FOB sounds like the best solution. Does hitting the remote lock 3 times have any effect on the windows automatically rolling down?

·
Premium Member
1,825 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
My Dad just called, out of the blue, and told me that they were getting a remote starter for me as a Christmas gift. We had never discussed this so I was somewhat surprised! He was with me the first time I spotted a Ridge at a Honda dealer so he feels he has a vested interest in the truck. ;)

The system is a CrimeStopper Cool Start model RS-1304DP. I hope it can be integrated to use my Honda key/remote instead of requiring an additional fob but I won't know until I speak to the installer. If not, I may buy another system, on the sly, and let Dad think it's the one he chose. ;)

I won't obtain the system until next weekend so it will be a while until I know what can and cannot be done with it when installed in a Ridgeline.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
BKLYNBOY11 said:
I have a remote start in my 2000 Odyssey since new and had the same guy install one in my Ridgeline. Used the valet key and the regular system stays intact. Paid $200.00 for remote starter, two remotes and labor. Worth it in the northeast and with two kids I leave it running alot without the key in it. I literally use it everytime I'm in the van and when I get over being so protective of my truck I'll probably use it just as much!
Could you elaborate on the "valet key"? So the Honda keys no longer works? If you are using the remotes that came the with RS kit, what do you use to turn the ignition switch on? How about the windows, can you open them with the Remote Starter kit remotes fob?

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
TheRidgester said:
I added a DEI system... works great.. I personally do not like the key / remote so I gave them that one to hide in the dash to allow it to start. Know I have a plain normal looking key, a remote thats good up to 1/3 mile, and ability to raise and lower all 4 windows as far as the remote can reach...helps when it starts to downpor rain!
Someone else on the group had givin the wiring harness and code info, let me know & i'll hunt for it and post it again...BTW... dont let DEI sell you thier all 4 window modules...very expensive(labor intensive) ..any alarm shop can tap Hondas door key switch all reasdy in place!
Hi TR, questions:
1. who sells and installs DEI system.
2. you gave one of the Honda key/remote to hide in the dash? why? I know that there is chip or something in the Honda key for the truck to start, but I thought that the Honda key had to be inserted into the ignition?
3. now you have a plain normal key? where did you get this key? can get you more than one for spare? please elaborate.:)
4. aside from the plain key ( I'm assuming this key is used to turn the ignition switch) a separate remote is used to start, lock, unlock, open the windows and close the windows too? originally you could open but not close the windows with the remote key.
5. Lastly, did you have to provide the wiring diagram and codes?
Sorry for the bundle of questions. There's been contradictions that I've read, which originally made me decide against a RS system installed on the RL. Although, I've one all my vehicles since I moved to CT.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I have the viper system and I also used the valet key for system. The regular keys still both function normaly. You can have the remote start system raise or lower the windows as well. The remote start key fob has better range than the Honda key. I can be almost 1000 feet away and start the truck. Also, the viper system I have is a two-way system, in that the key fob indicates via its lcd if the truck is locked, unlocked, started, etc.

1 - 20 of 91 Posts