Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If anyone has changed their own oil on the Ridgeline I would like to know things such as what it looked like in terms of color, consistency and any shavings or other debris found.

The reason I am asking is that I just now noticed a sticker the dealer placed on the windshield recommending my first oil change at 3,750 miles. How I missed that sticker I will never know! It shocked me because after reading a thread here about oil changes and the computer's maintenance reminder, I asked three different people at the dealership this question the day I picked up my RTL. All three, spoken to at different times and not together, said the computer will tell you when you need to change oil - they did not give me a specific mileage number. Now all of a sudden I see that someone most likely in the service department put that 3,750 mile sticker on.

The threads on this subject I've read have no definitive answer as most people are either going to change oil by the computer % (15%. if I remember right, is when it is required) or go the way they always have with other cars using time and mileage factors. I've also learned the brake-in oil in the Ridge is suppose to stay in longer than in older cars when steel shavings would collect rather fast during break-in.

So, if you've changed your own oil, at what mileage did you change it and what did you find.

·
Registered
10,401 Posts
I haven't changed it yet, but I have the Mobil1 and SuperTech filter ready to go when HAL tells me to. I will wait until it says "Service Due Now". I orginally thought that this would be at 7500 miles but now it's looking like closer to 6000.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I HAVE changed my oil...I did it at a little over 3,000 miles. HAL said it was only at 70% but I don't need to take chances with a $30k vehicle. I loved the way the drain plug was off to the side and the fact that the filter was pretty easily accessible too. One thing that prompted me to go ahead and change it at 3,000 miles was the fact that you are supposed to use 5W-20 oil and to me that's pretty light stuff! But if you'll notice, pretty much ALL major manufacturer's are going to that weight...mainly to increase mileage I would imagine. Just remember that oil technology has come a long way and that todays 5W-20 is yesterdays 10W-30. I also know that it is a SERIOUS offense to put a thicker weight oil in your motor! If you have engine problems and they test your oil and find you have a thicker weight, your engine warranty is VOID! My oil was a healthy brown color, to me it looked like it was ready for a change, but I didn't see any shavings (wasn't really looking for any though),but boy does that stuff run out like water from a warm engine!

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys for the response and info. Can you tell me what that Supertech filter is? Is that a brand name and where do you buy it? I've heard of Fram, AC and such but never Supertech.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I changed my oil at 5083 miles. The oil was dark but no shavings. I use Amsoil and a Honda filter. The indicator had 30% on it when I changed the oil.

Tiger

·
Registered
10,401 Posts
You get them at Wal-Mart and they're made by Champion.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Speaking of Wal-mart, I found 5 quart jugs of Castrol 5w20 @ $7.49. This works out to $1.49 a quart, which is .50 cheaper than buying it by the quart. I bought enough for 4 oil changes. While I'm not a big Wal-Mart fan, they do have some great prices as long as you don't mind rummaging thru the clutter to find them!

·
Registered
89 Posts
I changed my oil at 3200 miles i switched to amsoil with an amsoil filter, I have had great success with mobil 1 in my mazda, but i wanted to try amsoil I have heard nothing but good things about their product. @ 10,000 i am changing the tranny fluid to synthetic amsoil also, the tech said there's a drain plug for the tranny as it is a sealed unit so thats a plus

1 - 8 of 8 Posts