Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Premium Member
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have any of you ever owned (or still have –lucky you) a 1965-1973 American muscle car? (or wannabe). Those years were considered the “golden age” of American muscle cars – when their styling and power emerged, but they weren’t yet saddled with the early 1970’s “smog controls”. I may be dating myself with this post.

I’ve owned an eclectic bunch of cars and trucks in my life (MG, Alfa, GM, Ford, Chrysler, Honda, etc). However, my one brush with the muscle car genre was when I owned a 1969 Dodge Dart GT in my last 2 years of college. I don’t have any good surviving photos, but mine was identical in color/body/features to this one for sale (link and photos below). The only difference was mine didn’t have its pin stripe, and my wheels were different.

In 1969 the Dart’s production engines ranged from 225 slant 6 up to the 440 V8. And about 80 (1968 models) were special order produced for drag racing which had Morpar’s legendary mighty 426 hemi. My 1969 Dodge Dart GT had their 273 V8 and 3 speed automatic. So with this engine it really wasn’t a “muscle car” (maybe more of a “wannabe”), but looked the part and sure was fun to drive. My Dad (bless his heart) located it used and help me buy it. Even though my V8 was only 273 CID, it was (to me) fast and fun to drive. My car served me faithfully in my last 2 years college through the first year of my career, when I traded it in at 139K miles for a new Ford mustang (my first new car).

Anyway, that’s my story of my one brush with this automotive era. Post up if you had anything from it. Cheers!

For Sale: 1969 Dodge Dart GT in Merrimack, New Hampshire

·
Premium Member
1,653 Posts
Back in 1966 my family "labored" over the specification sheet for a new Dodge 4dr sedan, the model I can't remember. However when my father returned from the dealer, (presumably to turn in the order) he returned with a brand new dark blue two-door hardtop Dodge Polara 500. Bucket seats, center counsel with shifter, 383 four-barrel. I don't know if it was classified as a muscle car but it could get up and go pretty good. For its time the Polara was a very good looking car. Of course, at that time the South Dakota Highway Patrol was running 440 Plymouth Furys, so it was no contest. I was on a first-name basis with Capt. Tim Printoff. Tim even arranged for breakfast, lunch, and dinner for me at the Roberts County B&B.

·
Premium Member
510 Posts
As a kid I used to jump into the back seat of a 72 Plymouth Fury Gran Coupe on a daily. We always had to put towels down on the seats in the summer. Some may not consider this a true "Muscle Car" but man from what I remember it could go. It had a 440 under the hood. 🧐

This is not the one we owned,

by GhostYK1, on Flickr

The one I grew up in was a triple green, dark green vinyl top, dark green vinyl interior and metallic green paint.

·
Premium Member
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
One of my dream cars: Ford’s muscle car - with race tweaked competition engine and suspension. It was designed to compete in SCCA’s popular Trans Am road racing series. Back in those days they actually raced production vehicles, with modifications allowed if that same car was “homologated” - sold to the general public with sales of X units (3K for Trans Am?)

So the Boss 302 was a muscle car that not only was fast, but handled well on a
road race track. You sir are a lucky man to own one!

Great posts everyone. If you don’t have photos of yours anymore, if you wish - just grab some similar ones online (like I did), and edit or add then into your posts.

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
23,264 Posts
I had a 1968 GTO back in the day. 400CI 4bbl carb with the automatic/Hurst shifter. Silver with the black vinyl top. Loved that car. While I was out of the country, my dad loaned it to a family relative for a day and they wrecked it. Sigh.

A cousin had a '68 Roadrunner with the 383/4bbl carb. Another cousin had a '67 Ford Fairlane with the 427/dual 4 bbl carbs. I coveted the 69 Chevelle SS 396 or Yenko 427.

I would be dangerous if I had money. ;)

Reactions: RevJed and Dogs 2C

·
Premium Member
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Back in 1966 my family "labored" over the specification sheet for a new Dodge 4dr sedan ..... However when my father returned from the dealer, (presumably to turn in the order) he returned with a brand new dark blue two-door hardtop Dodge Polara 500. Bucket seats, center counsel with shifter, 383 four-barrel. I don't know if it was classified as a muscle car but it could get up and go pretty good....
Jay Leno told a similar story of his dad ordering some anemic 1960’s Ford Galaxie sedan, which Jay (car guy, even back then) surreptitiously changed his order form to a fire breathing 429 V8 hard top Galaxie, and with lots of other performance goodies. Was his dad ever surprised when he picked up that car!

Did you do that to your Dad?

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
23,264 Posts
Had a friend in high school that bought a new Plymouth GTX 440-six pack and 4 in the floor. What a hoss. Loved those 426 Hemis too.

Reactions: Dogs 2C

·
Premium Member
3,868 Posts
No musclecar, but my first daily driver was a '67 Plymouth Fury VIP with a rebuilt 383 in it. Very fun car which I wish I still had. Next car was a '76 Charger SE - not a true musclecar, but it came with a 400-2V and NO catalytic converters (had a lean burn system). I replaced the 2V with a Carter T-quad and added true dual exhaust with crossover pipe. I also added a MSD 5C ignition and re-gapped the plugs to .050. Those changes netted me an extra 3mpg. The car was not loud or obnoxious, but it tended to set off car alarms when I drove by.

Next vehicle was a '92 Dakota with the 318 Magnum (230hp), so it was a bit of a muscle truck for that time period. It was 2wd, and it spun the rear tires way too easy.

Next ride was a 2002 Accord coupe. It only had a 149hp four-banger, but made up for it with a 5-spd manual. Not quick, but very fast in the corners and 33mpg in mixed driving, 40mpg on road trips.

Traded that in for the 2019 RTL, and the rest is history.

A sister had a '69 Camaro, bright orange with white rally stripes, very sharp looking, but it was 6-cylinder and 3-speed manual.

Brother had '73 Charger, candy apple red with white interior, but a 318 motor. His college roommate had a '70 Charger w/ 383-4V. He put a shift kit in it, and the 727B Torqueflite would shift out of 1st at 55mph, and out of 2nd at 90mph, chirping the 12" wide tires each time.

Then there was the '73 Nova w/350, bright yellow with black interior...

·
Premium Member
2,146 Posts
Growing up, Dad always made sure we had some interesting cars in the family. Daily Drivers I remember:
Cream/Black 1963 Lincoln Continental
Black/Red 1965 Ford Galaxy big V8 can't remember the displacement
Blue/Black 1969 Volkswagen Squareback 4-speedMT (engine balanced, blueprinted, ported polished)
Aqua/Aqua Cadillac Sedan DeVille 472 V8
1973 Vega GT wagon 4-speedMT
Black/Silver top/Red 1975 Ford Grenada Ghia 351 Windsor w/ Holley 4 barrel, intake, headers and continental kit
White/Black 2005 Dodge Hemi Pick up truck.

We also restored one of Carol Shelby's projects, following the success of the Cobra Shelby wedged a Ford 260 V8 (MKI) and later a Ford 289 (MKII) into a Sunbeam Alpine and called it the Sunbeam Tiger. Ours was a 1967 MKII with a 289 V8, Holley carb, intake, headers, and other mods I can't remember. We won a few car show trophies with that car and autocross with it a time or two, then Dad got bored with it and traded it for cash and a Red 1946 Ford Coupe with a 50's flathead and three on the tree.

I did find a photo of the Tiger.

·
Registered
959 Posts
We had a 1970 Plymouth AAR ‘Cuda when I was young. Dad bought it to roadrace, as a more powerful entry than the 240Z he had been racing. Those were equipped with Mopar’s 340 and 3 x 2-barrels. It pulled pretty hard, but we were much more a sports car family than an American-style straight-line-only dragster family. That’s why he bought the AAR in particular.

Unfortunately, the engine let go in the early part of the first race (chief mechanic had forgotten to Loc-tite main (or big end rod? Can’t recall) bearing cap bolts, as I recall). For unrelated reasons dad quit racing, and a neighbor who worked on the farm bought the car, repaired the engine, and had it as his high school car. No idea where it ended up. No pics, but here’s a same-model car. Ours was blue:

·
Super Moderator
1,431 Posts
Well, I missed the muscle car era by just a few years. But had lots of friends with Hemi's in Cuda's or RoadRunners with 383's even one with a RoadRunner Superbird (he never drove it and i did get an offer to buy it for $5,000 just was wrong timing for me). I did end up with a 76' Cobra II (blue white stripes) and a 80' Mercury Capri Turbo RS (Black with red interior). Both of those cars were chick magnets and I married one which i still have hanging around (she drives a Cadillac SRX after the other Cadillac CTS which was a nice handling machine too).

Steve

This is the stock brochure for that year (which i still have btw just not the car!). Mine had the Red stripe accents instead of these green ones.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I've had my 1967 chevelle ss 396 4-speed since 1999. When I brought it, it was competely tore apart. But the good thing was the drivetrain had been competely gone through. Back in the 70's I traded and bought several muscle cars including a 69 camaro ss/rs big block ragtop, 68 rs/ss camaro big block ragtop, 68 gto ragttop. Now most of these cars needed work done to them which was a lot of fun for me. My first car was a 1966 Nova ss 327 4-speed 4:10 posi, it was really quick and it would run only on premium gas.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts