Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought this used last December, 2018 RTL E. I seem to have more room over the tires than most RLs I've seen, has this truck been lifted? Are there any other ways to tell without crawling around in the mud and slush(really wet winter around here)?

TIA,
Bill

·
Administrator
13,746 Posts
Bought this used last December, 2018 RTL E. I seem to have more room over the tires than most RLs I've seen, has this truck been lifted? Are there any other ways to tell without crawling around in the mud and slush(really wet winter around here)?

TIA,
Bill
The front has almost certainly been lifted. The rear is inconclusive. I'd guess a leveling kit has been installed.

·
Registered
932 Posts
I am going to guess Traxda 2 inch front strut spacers. The reason I say 2 inch is that with nothing done to the rear it's almost over leveled IMO. 1.5 inches seems to be the sweet spot for leveling.

Regardless, the front of your truck definitely has something done to it.

·
Registered
69 Posts
As a first time truck owner, what is the purpose for this? I am intrigued by the look of some Ridgelines I have seen that are leveled, as opposed to extreme lifting.Is it purely aesthetics? I have negative zero interest in offroading, I simply like the look of the truck leveled. What are the cons to leveling?

·
Registered
2018 RTL-E
36 Posts
Leveling kits are primarily for appearances. Some people simple don’t like the ‘raked’ look or newer pickups.
Cons would be the expense, minimal loss in fuel economy, and a very small proportion of people have had problems with sensors after leveling.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I’ve actually been wondering this myself on a new to me 2017 rtl-t. It’s a replacement for 2017 rtl that I bought new and was recently totaled by someone who blew a stop sign. I never lifted or leveled the first one so I know it was stock. I swear I’m sitting up higher in my new truck though.

Attachments

·
Registered
69 Posts
Leveling kits are primarily for appearances. Some people simple don’t like the ‘raked’ look or newer pickups.
Cons would be the expense, minimal loss in fuel economy, and a very small proportion of people have had problems with sensors after leveling.
Thanks for the feedback!

·
Registered
932 Posts
While I'll be in the minority on this one a leveling kit can be of benefit if you go off road or in our case mostly snow. Every little bit of ground clearance helps. 1.5 or 2 inches under the front end and maybe 3/4s inch from larger tires and you've gained a lot of ground clearance. Ridgelines are amazing in the snow and even better when they're up a little higher.

Most do it for looks though. Which we also did.

I've never heard of anyone having problems from a leveling kit on a gen 2 Ridgeline. Ours was done with 1k miles on it (self installed) and never gave a lick of problems nor do I have any justifiable reason why it would.

·
Administrator
13,746 Posts
I've never heard of anyone having problems from a leveling kit on a gen 2 Ridgeline.

Now you have. :)

·
Registered
932 Posts

Now you have. :)
Some people can break a steel ball bearing in a rubber room.

That's why I do stuff myself.

Also my post was in response to the post about having sensor problems.

·
Administrator
13,746 Posts
Some people can break a steel ball bearing in a rubber room.

That's why I do stuff myself.

Also my post was in response to the post about having sensor problems.
The radar and camera are aimed based on stock ride height and pitch. Small changes to the ride height and pitch can result in big changes in the detection range.

·
Registered
932 Posts
The radar and camera are aimed based on stock ride height and pitch. Small changes to the ride height and pitch can result in big changes in the detection range.

Thanks for that zroger. Makes complete sense. I did not have that system on my RTL-T. When I saw that post earlier in this thread my mind was on drivetrain.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks to all for the quick replies! I haven't been able to get my head in the front wheel wells to look, I'll try to take a pic with the phone(DUH).

I haven't noticed any problems with the sensing but I'm getting an average 19.8 mpg and it seems like others here are getting better mileage, that would explain it. I averaged 19.6 with my 2018 Tacoma Limited and expected at least a minor improvement.(that's actual mpg, not the dash display)

Thanks again, love this forum!
Best,
Bill

·
Registered
932 Posts
That's not bad fuel economy at all for 4500ish pound truck especially.

I drive in nothing but stop and go traffic for 3 hours a day and was lucky to get 17.5 in the winter months and maybe 19 in the summer. That was with larger tires too which did far more damage to the fuel economy than lifting the front up.

·
Registered
2019 RTL-T Forest Mist Metallic
76 Posts
While I'll be in the minority on this one a leveling kit can be of benefit if you go off road or in our case mostly snow. Every little bit of ground clearance helps. 1.5 or 2 inches under the front end and maybe 3/4s inch from larger tires and you've gained a lot of ground clearance. Ridgelines are amazing in the snow and even better when they're up a little higher.

Most do it for looks though. Which we also did.

I've never heard of anyone having problems from a leveling kit on a gen 2 Ridgeline. Ours was done with 1k miles on it (self installed) and never gave a lick of problems nor do I have any justifiable reason why it would.
Isn't the lift considered a body lift, where the stuff below the body is not raised up, so you are not really increasing clearance?

·
Registered
2019 RTL-T Forest Mist Metallic
76 Posts
Trucks are higher in the back to to still be level with a load in the bed or when towing. If you use your truck like a truck it actually looks worse when leveled. You are driving down the road pulling your trailer and your nose is pointing up in the air.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Isn't the lift considered a body lift, where the stuff below the body is not raised up, so you are not really increasing clearance?

Negative.

You are increasing the overall length of the strut which pushes the control arms down. The center of the drivetrain and the rest of the chassis are then lifted up. You can't do a body lift on a unibody vehicle. Not possible.

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
Some folks get confused because the lifts don't increase ground clearance where the control arms meet the wheels. Only taller tires can do that, and we all know the G2's wheel wells don't accommodate more than an inch increase in tire diameter without additional mods.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts