Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Passed a gen-1 (like my previous) on I-25 this afternoon, and seeing it was hauling two adult-sized dirt bikes, it got me thinking about my needs.

The setup today looked pretty much like what Honda showed in its ads for the gen-2, so I got out my tape measure to see where the rear wheel would bear with my BMW F800GT tied on with the front wheel right up tight to the front of the box. The bike weighs about 480 full of gas.

The rear wheel would bear on the dropped tailgate, maybe 3 to 4 inches back from its leading (bottom) edge. Just about like those two Honda dirtbikes on the back of the gen-1 I saw today.

The license plate and tail-light would pooch out just beyond the extent of the dropped tailgate.

So if you are hauling a bike or bikes in your gen-2 box, tell me something about your setup. Like what you do for tie-downs, whether the OEM tiedowns at front and rear corners are all you need, what you do to further fix things from moving around, and what kind of a ramp do you use.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Hey,

I hauled a Triumph Scrambler and Ducati 959 in the back of my Ridgeline (at different times). I have 12' ramp, which is 40" wide. The tailgate had to stay down, and I used the 4 tie downs in the truck. Very simple and secure.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Yet to carry a bike on my 2g.

Part of the reason I purchase the 2017 ridgeline is to transport a dirt bike.

i did utilize the 1g ridgeline for this task several times. And I always just used the Stock tie down points with the tailgate down.

I purchased a ktm 950 last year and that was a nice 20hour drive trip (one way). I tied it down with every strap I had (just in case) and arrived safely at my destination.

On that 1G RL the tailgate cable finally failed 6monyhs ago when I stepped on it (the cable was rusted out. Luckily there was no damage and a new cable did the trick.

So with the new 2G, based on my experience, I would just use the stock tie anchors with tailgate down to move a bike. While keeping an eye on the condition of the tailgate cable to ensure it's not rusted out.

If moving a heavy bike, secure at least at 4 points (front and rear)

·
Premium Member
4,234 Posts
If you have room for a trailer, the one in this video shows a kickazz design....front end drops to provide a ramp into the truck bed.

The diagonal of the G2 bed is around 87", or slightly longer than your bike....don't think your bike is narrow enough to squeeze into that space, though..

I remember seeing wheel chocks for motorcycles that bolt down to the bed, but they are made mainly for trailers (think I saw one in a recent issue of MCN). You'd have to rig up some bridge planks in the bed to bolt them to, if you didn't want to drill holes in your bed. If you did drill holes in your bed, you'd probably want to reinforce them with backing plate.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I often haul 2 dirt bikes in the bed w/ 4 tiedowns. Only issue is the bed is so short that the real weight of the bikes rides over and behind the back wheels. This causes the vehicle to tilt back a bit, which in turn can cause your headlights to blind both oncoming traffic as well as the people you follow. Other then re-aiming the lights, I have no solution. It's my only gripe w/ the truck.

·
Registered
46 Posts
had very good luck removing rear squat when carrying heavy loads with air suspension kit. Air up when towing and air down when not. Had on F150. I see they sell kits for RL.

·
Registered
711 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Funny you guys worrying about hauling ONE 500lb bike in the bed of the RL....

I've done 20+ track days hauling VFR800, CBR600 and Ducati 999, and did one track day hauling both the VFR800 and the CBR600. With one bike loading is a breeze, and use the in bed tie downs with nothing else. For the double bike load I attached wheel chocks and a central tie down eyelet to a sheet of 3/4" plywood. Trip was 2 hours each way.

Not an issue ever hauling any of these loads with the RL. Don't get too hung up about the loads it can handle....

Attachments

·
Registered
75 Posts
I always wonder how Honda can get so much streeth on the right side of the tailgate. Makes me kinda queesy when I see some of these loads. Anyone ever hear a capacity rating on the tailgate???

·
Premium Member
4,234 Posts
I always wonder how Honda can get so much streeth on the right side of the tailgate. Makes me kinda queesy when I see some of these loads. Anyone ever hear a capacity rating on the tailgate???
The dynamic load rating is 300lbs. The static load is likely much higher.

Somewhere back in the ROC annals, there is supposedly a photo of a G1 Ridgeline resting on the tailgates of two other G1 Ridgelines, with each end (bumper) of the suspended truck on a tailgate. This was apparently a publicity stunt put together by G1 LPL Gary Flint to demonstrate the strength of the truck.

Perhaps one of the admins or mods has the skills to find that photo?

·
Premium Member
1,400 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,234 Posts
Just yesterday I saw this referenced, and I believe the Static Load limit is 1200 pounds. I'm searching to find where I saw that. If I find it, I'll update my post with the reference URL.

EDIT: Found it. Post #8 of 12, after four photos. http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/...torcycle-loading-ramp-length.html#post2677233
That would make sense. Engineers typically rate structures for working loads at 30-50% of their actual breaking strength (or point of failure), depending on how critical the application is.

I would, however, like to see some official documentation....and that photo!

·
Registered
2 Posts
First, excuse for my poor english, I am a french canadian from Quebec... :)

Just bought 2018 sport ridgeline. I put my vfr 800 and my girlfriend cbr500 on the bed... No problem at all (525+430=955 pouds)

Don't know wy the picture is upside down!!

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts