Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My father passed away recently, and I made a trip this past weekend to load up items we want to go through--documents, old family photos, plus a variety of other items. The Ridgeline holds a lot, but getting the load secure enough for a long trip at highway speeds added some limitations. Mainly, I didn't want to stack boxes too far above the bed height, thus limiting me to two layers of "bankers boxes."

Bed height is about 17", and this photo shows that measurement falls just below the handle on the second box. So, two layers deep was what I limited it to.
Wood Cabinetry Gas Electronic device Machine

Partially loaded bed...
Automotive design Motor vehicle Material property Publication Personal protective equipment

Here's the total haul using the trunk, bed and cab (large trash can added for perspective). There was only room left for me and a small suitcase...
Waste container Gas Shipping box Automotive tire Box

After loading the bed, I pulled the tarp over everything and tucked in the sides. Then I added the Honda cargo net over the tarp. That was then followed by two ratchet straps in a crisscross or "X" over the load. I intertwined a third ratchet strap into the edge of the cargo net by the tailgate to keep it more secure. In hindsight, I think a fourth ratchet strap placed in the middle of the bed under the tarp would have helped cinch things, even though it wouldn't have been attached to any tie-down cleats.

It was a long trip, I'm tired today, but glad to have gotten home safely!

·
Registered
558 Posts
I'd say your RL did just fine and sorry to hear about your Dad - losing a loved one and then having to sort through their possessions is one of the more heart-rending things we all get to do sooner or later.

·
Premium Member
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'd say your RL did just fine and sorry to hear about your Dad - losing a loved one and then having to sort through their possessions is one of the more heart-rending things we all get to do sooner or later.
Thank you fdeno, I appreciate the kind words. And you're right about the Ridgeline--it did everything I wanted it to do on this trip.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts