Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It was the weekend to haul things around in the Ridgeline:

- My sister-in-law has been visiting for a few days so we had to haul her and her luggage to the airport on Saturday. No ratchet straps were needed.

- On the way home from the airport, we stopped at a furniture store to pick up a chair we bought that morning. It was probably just a bit too big to fit in the hatch of my wife's Fit. One ratchet strap held it nicely against the back of the cab with old towels to pad the the chair from the cab and strap.

- After my wife got home from work today, we hauled an old leather chair to her mom's empty condo for disposal. One ratchet strap held the chair and the seat cushion went in the back seat. The condo is in a large senior complex and pickers cruise through the place every Sunday evening looking for discards. The chair was probably gone within an hour of us putting it out.

- As we need to empty the condo in preparation for sale, we took a small recliner and drop-leaf end table back. The chair went in the bed and the table fit nicely in front of the folded rear seat - each secured with a ratchet strap and padded with towels.

Why did I ever think I could survive without a pickup?

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Yep. Pruned a tree and picked up all the branches along with a bucket of dog crap and hauled to dumping spot. Was able to haul all bikes to get air in tires. Nice to have a truck.

·
Registered
58 Posts

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Let's see....

Prius
S2000
Fit

You absolutely positively most assuredly need a pickup!
Actually, we can get quite a bit of cargo into the Prius and especially the Fit. Dirty stuff needs a tarp under / around it. Aside from heavy cargo, which I seldom carry, the main limitation is the 32" x 32" max hatch opening of the Fit.

·
Registered
512 Posts
This was one of the key reasons I traded my 12 Wrangler in to get back in a (13) Ridgeline... aside from the fact that the wrangler was aggravating me to no end mechanically, I had forgotten how useful my previous Ridgeline's had been in terms of hauling everything, everywhere. And once you get used to that capability you can really take it for granted (at least until you don't have it any more). Moving kids back and forth to college, sports equipment, trash, mulch, firewood, etc., etc. Most of us probably don't even think twice about all of the times we throw stuff in the bed... But I sure did miss that capability when I didn't have it!

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
More hauling this weekend:

- Two loads of donated furniture (plus a load in my son's Yukon) to our local Love Inc. furniture ministry.

- Two loads of e-waste to our county drop-off event. The load from my in-laws condo was impressive: 4 TVs (including an old 25" set in the wood cabinet), computer, stereos, VCRs, etc. I was going to strap down the big TV but when my kids were done loading, but it was so tight back there nothing was going to move around.

We went to lunch before dropping off the last, big load of e-waste - hoping someone would steal it. No such luck.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Hauled my 20' boat over to the ramp at Popponesset Bay on the Cape and was FINALLY able to get back on the water after an endless winter in New England! RL tows that boat beautifully.

·
Super Moderator
22,604 Posts
Hauled 2 loads of bagged mulch last week. Got 21 bags (grossly underestimated the need) and went back for another 24 bags (2 cu ft per bag). The RL is perfect for that work.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Bought this play kitchen for the grand daughter today.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Picked up a 4' pine tree for planting. Used my FEL on the Kubota to get it out of the RL bed

·
Registered
145 Posts
Going to be in a community yard sales this weekend and went to the future Mrs. goreds2 house to get some stuff. Live out in the country so this stuff will sell. (Hog cages for county fair showings etc)

Attachments

·
Registered
19 Posts
I'm in the process of building a house and have been hauling things in the RL like, 23 sheets 5/8 OSB boards and hauled 80 2x4 studs and hauled some 2x12 x10. It hauled everthing just fine no problems with the RL.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Towed my sons car home from the hills of Akron to Central Ohio... about 170 miles one way. It was a couple weekends ago. I left here at 6:30am, got there, loaded up and home in time for lunch! On a normal basis, my wife has a boutique, so this old girl gets regular freight time hauling boxes of clothing, and antiques, toting furniture home to get redone and the hauled down to the shop... it’s lifted so it’s great for loading and unloading antique dressers and buffets🙄

·
Registered
458 Posts
We did not purchase our Ridgeline for hauling cargo so I am just shaking my head and giggling here, where I am comparing the cargo carrying capabilities of the Ridgeline to the likes of the ol Ford Ranchero or Chevy El Camino, which worked for some things, (where the Ridgeline is mostly perfect for us), but when we want to do any real hauling we will be depending on our 1971 or 1972 Chevys with the full sized beds! ;)

Bill

·
Premium Member
2,044 Posts
We did not purchase our Ridgeline for hauling cargo so I am just shaking my head and giggling here, where I am comparing the cargo carrying capabilities of the Ridgeline to the likes of the ol Ford Ranchero or Chevy El Camino, which worked for some things, (where the Ridgeline is mostly perfect for us), but when we want to do any real hauling we will be depending on our 1971 or 1972 Chevys with the full sized beds! ;)

Bill
Why have a vehicle with a bed and an okay tow rating if you're not going to use it?

If your early 70s Chevys (which I love, hold on to them) are the light half-tone type, they probably have the same hauling and towing rating as many modern-day mid-size trucks. It's amazing how capable these midsizers are getting.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Why have a vehicle with a bed and a okay tow rating if you're not going to use it?
I am not putting down the Ridgeline, far from it, a primary reason for our purchasing the Ridgline was to have a comfortably economical vehicle to tow our lil folding trailer, and the bed is much more useful to us than seats would be. The Ridgeline serves these purposes admirably.

Again, think modern day El Comino! ;)

Bill

·
Premium Member
2,044 Posts
... Again, think modern day El Comino! ;)

Bill
How about calling it a four-door off-road capable version of the Chevy Cameo Carrier instead; at least that was a truck?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts