Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2014 RTL that i bought about six months ago. I don't drive it every day it sits sometimes for two weeks.
If I am lucky when i go to start it it starts. Sometimes I get the message asking for the code to the navigation system or I have to put it on charge because the battery is dead.
I ask the local Honda dealer about it they said I wasn't driving it enough. So I put a trickle charge on it and so far so good.
Anyone else have this happen?

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
That''s pretty common with a battery that's 3 or 4 years old and you don't drive it much. If it's a new battery and it's a cheap one same answer. If it's OEM battery and on the new side then you may have a problem . I would take it it to dealer and have them check starting system,charging system and battery. You could have draw pn the battery thats killing it. Like a dome light left on.Or get yourself a float charger, not a tricke charger. And just mount it in engine bay, when you park it, plug it in. Or drive it more often.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
297 Posts
Check out ctek chargers - they're designed to be both a charger & maintainer for those vehicles you don't drive often

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
297 Posts
Rock auto has them at a good price

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
+1 on the Ctex chargers, My 2010 has one on it now. Haven't even started it in almost months surgery on RTL foot.

On another note: since truck hasn't' been started in 3 months. I want to crank motor over without starting. To get oil back in top of motor. I dont want to start other ( dry). Any ideas out there?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
297 Posts
Lol, RTL foot :) nice autocorrect

Reactions: ROBSRTL

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the answers. I will have to stop by the dealer have them check the battery and starting system. So far the Battery Tender I have hooked to it is working.

·
Registered
4,141 Posts
Sister has 2007 Ridgeline I use to drive the first two yrs when new and still keep it serviced when at dealership. This past year and I posted about this she had few intermittent starting problems where the battery had to be started by AAA auto club. Battery checked out fine several times as it was not that old probably not 2yrs at time. Someone suggested a charger to her and she got one but I told her to take it back she did not need it because she drove all the time and put enough mileage on the truck for it to be fully charged all times.
I told her it might door lock actuator and she had not mention to me at first she was having problem with a rear door sometimes giving her problem locking it had been doing this for awhile.
I took it to dealership to have other service done and told them to check service manager said when tested it was door lock actuator causing drain just like was suspected. I had saw a post on here with that problem so it made me do research. I had also heard on auto show about phantom battery drainage from door switches and interior lights that are not on to eye but causing drain.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Has anyone installed a NOCO trickle charger to their G2 2017 or 2018 battery? Difficult to install the wire adapter to the battery terminal?

·
Super Moderator
1,563 Posts
I use a Energizer brand one from Walmart on the G2. It's a smart trickle type with a 2A charging circuit. I've been putting it on the last few months since i've been driving these rentals to Cleveland for the company work here. It seems to work just fine using the spring clips and reaching under the plastic housing to the negative terminal. Keeps the battery fully charged even if I haven't driven the truck for weeks.

Steve

1 - 11 of 11 Posts