Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

Super Moderator
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I recently noticed severe hazing on the headlight lenses of my 2017 Honda Ridgeline with 20K miles. We used to own a 2004 Honda Civic and this seemed to be a common problem, but this Ridgeline is only 4 years old. It almost seemed like it happened within a week, but I have been busy and have not been babying my Ridgeline as much as I should be.

The hazing includes fine scratches and dullness. I do not use an automatic car wash and I don't drive on dirt roads. I plan on using the recommended headlight restorer (by Project Farm) and will hope for the best.

Has anyone else noticed this extent of wear on their headlight lenses? I do park outside most of the time, which may promote this type of wear.

Attachments

Premium Member
2010 RT - Bali Blue
Though 4 years is rather short time for this to happen, your geographical location may contribute to the effects.
How often do you wash and wash your truck? My parents barely wash their '09 Fit and I had to replace their headlamp assembly three months ago because they were totally bad and it became worse within 3 weeks. I would say restore it and then use a 3M protection film to protect the lamp housing.

Super Moderator
Discussion Starter #3
I keep my truck clean and wash it every couple of weeks. I live in Denver, so maybe the high altitude has something to do with it. My wife's 2018 Outback and my son's 2016 WRX (which also lives outside) show no signs of similar hazing. Wish Subaru built a truck.

Registered
When we did the clear bra on the front of our Ridgeline we also did the headlights, we were told that this will keep them from hazing, I am waiting to see...................

Bill

Premium Member
2010 RT - Bali Blue
My wife's '08 Corolla had that nasty hazing and pitting as well, but she rarely washed that car (God rest its soul, lol).
I concur with Bill, the 3M film, or one of those protection films with UV protection do seem to help as I have that on the current headlamps on my G1.
I am not sure if anyone else has a better alternative than the protection film and I have been thinking about the same thing on my Odyssey. These darn plastic headlamps.............

Registered
Hazing on my 2011 Pilot was bad after ~6 years. I used the 3M restoration kit on that and it came out like new.

I applied a 3M clearcoat on my new Ridgeline, hoping that will add some protection - time will tell.

Super Moderator
Discussion Starter #7
It is interesting that we have no issues on our Subaru's.

Super Moderator
Discussion Starter #9
Just another problem avoided by @zroger73, by selling his Ridgeline (s).

Reactions: zroger73

Super Moderator
Discussion Starter #10
2017 , 15,000 miles. started noticing it today ...

Our 2015 forester is pristine too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's so strange that the plastic material does not just fade, but it actually has hairline scratches! Our 2004 Civic headlight lenses faded, but I never noticed any small scratches.

Administrator
I hate, hate, hate plastic headlights. Both vehicles I've had longer than a year or two did this ('99 Regal and '10 Ridgeline). They can be polished to look "much better" (I've never seen any headlight restoration project that made them look literally new again), but if some type of UV coating isn't sprayed on, they'll just haze up again in a matter of weeks or months.

Registered
It's so strange that the plastic material does not just fade, but it actually has hairline scratches! Our 2004 Civic headlight lenses faded, but I never noticed any small scratches.
My 2009 Acura TSX has the same headlight problems. Some TSX owners got Acura to replace entire headlight assembly under warranty-a safety issue because it would affect light output visibility...it worked for some since the hazing was also right in front of the projectors. My Acura stealership told me to kick rocks lol

Did the DIY kit from Meguiars, it lasted for a few months but came back.

Guess I鈥檒l do the same for the Ridge...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Registered
2018 Touring (馃崄) - Deep Scarlet Pearl
Both @Sparkland and @17sport seem to have tiny scratches in the lens, rather than the typical hazing/oxidation. Odd. I had the hated haze-polish-haze-polish going with my previous Subaru, so I did install the XPEL #H0224B headlight protection kit on my G2 last year. It's parked outside all the time, so far so good, but time will tell...

Registered
Glass weights more than plastic - It is weight reduction.

Registered
2019 Sport Lunar Silver
From bumper to bumper, a few ounces here & there add up. I agree, this is not a good place to cut weight.

Super Moderator
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
I purchased this stuff for the repair "Sylvania Headlight Restoration Kit", as it was the best performer on the "Project Farm" Youtube Channel. I will let you know how it works.

A poster in the video commented:

Wet Lettuce
6 days ago
"Get some headlights from a Honda those are always real bad"

Reactions: letterman5

Administrator
Would using glass lenses really cost that much more?

Bill
Probably not, but in addition to the weight mentioned above, plastic is more resistant to impacts. When a rock hits a glass headlight, it cracks or shatters. That wasn't a big deal when headlights were universal and a new sealed-beam could be purchased for less than $10 at any auto parts store. When the surface area of headlights increased for styling and aerodynamics, so did the weight and cost. When HID and LED lighting were introduced, the price went WAY up and now we're looking at well over $1,000 each for a new headlight. If the housings were made out of glass, you might end up having to replacing them more frequently due to rock damage than sun damage. And, it's easier to remove haze from plastic than to weld glass. :)

1 - 20 of 40 Posts