Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

Super Moderator
Discussion Starter #21
I'm thinking something like this might be a good idea.
That might be a good idea. We tried to install a similar product on our 2016 WRX and it was nearly impossible with all the curves and angles of the headlight lens. Maybe the Ridgeline will be somewhat easier.

Registered
2018 Touring (馃崄) - Deep Scarlet Pearl
We tried to install a similar product on our 2016 WRX and it was nearly impossible with all the curves and angles of the headlight lens. Maybe the Ridgeline will be somewhat easier.
It may be easier than the WRX, but I would still definitely advise using a heat gun and installation squeegee for application on the Ridgeline. There is one particularly nasty tight little curve on the top section of the "swoosh" light, and the fog lights are simply a round globe surface, which are a pain in the butt. My original post in "What have you done..." thread, #571. The precut kit leaves just a sliver of the headlight uncovered around the edge. Unless you look really closely, you can't tell the film is there (unless you buy a "smoke" kit!).

@Solo mentioned the Weathertech kit, I would guess that it is made by XPEL, and they are the same thing under a different brand name. When I was looking for a kit last year, XPEL and Weathertech had the exact same part number, now W'Tech has changed their number to try to differentiate themselves. I would go with whichever you find the best price on.

My 2018 only has 26,000 kms on it. but sits outside:

Super Moderator
Discussion Starter #23
It may be easier than the WRX, but I would still definitely advise using a heat gun and installation squeegee for application on the Ridgeline. There is one particularly nasty tight little curve on the top section of the "swoosh" light, and the fog lights are simply a round globe surface, which are a pain in the butt. My original post in "What have you done..." thread, #571. The precut kit leaves just a sliver of the headlight uncovered around the edge. Unless you look really closely, you can't tell the film is there (unless you buy a "smoke" kit!).

@Solo mentioned the Weathertech kit, I would guess that it is made by XPEL, and they are the same thing under a different brand name. When I was looking for a kit last year, XPEL and Weathertech had the exact same part number, now W'Tech has changed their number to try to differentiate themselves. I would go with whichever you find the best price on.

My 2018 only has 26,000 kms on it. but sits outside:

View attachment 403043
I love the Scarlet color of your RL. Thank you for the tips. We do have a heat gun. That is something, that when we bought it, we didn't think we would use it much - be we really have used it plenty.

Reactions: zroger73

Registered
I recently noticed severe hazing on the headlight lenses of my 2017 Honda Ridgeline with 20K miles. We used to own a 2004 Honda Civic and this seemed to be a common problem, but this Ridgeline is only 4 years old. It almost seemed like it happened within a week, but I have been busy and have not been babying my Ridgeline as much as I should be.

The hazing includes fine scratches and dullness. I do not use an automatic car wash and I don't drive on dirt roads. I plan on using the recommended headlight restorer (by Project Farm) and will hope for the best.

Has anyone else noticed this extent of wear on their headlight lenses? I do park outside most of the time, which may promote this type of wear.

If it makes you feel any better, just yesterday I noticed the same thing on mine. You can barley see it starting on the top outside corners. It's a 2017 I bought used about a year ago, so I can's say if it was kept out in the elements or not. It's been garaged about 50% of the time since I've had it.

Would using glass lenses really cost that much more?

Bill
I think this was deemed a safety issue back in the 90s.

Registered
I can recommend the WeatherTech LampGard products. I have a 2006 RL that started getting the headlight fog 3 years ago. I polished the lens then applied the film with the help of a heat gun and followed the instructions. It has been 3 years now, I park outside, and the lens still look great. I have applied the films to daughter's fading 2009 Civic, preventive application to a 2012 Accord and our latest car, a 2014 Accord as well. The heat gun is a necessity with the crazy contours on the last three vehicles. The Accords were the most challenging but still doable with patience. Nothing ages a car's appearance faster than yellowed, cloudy headlights. Not to mention the safety factor.

Super Moderator
Discussion Starter #26
I can recommend the WeatherTech LampGard products. I have a 2006 RL that started getting the headlight fog 3 years ago. I polished the lens then applied the film with the help of a heat gun and followed the instructions. It has been 3 years now, I park outside, and the lens still look great. I have applied the films to daughter's fading 2009 Civic, preventive application to a 2012 Accord and our latest car, a 2014 Accord as well. The heat gun is a necessity with the crazy contours on the last three vehicles. The Accords were the most challenging but still doable with patience. Nothing ages a car's appearance faster than yellowed, cloudy headlights. Not to mention the safety factor.
I ordered the Weathertech kit and will take a stab at installation this weekend.

Registered
After polishing the headlights clear and cleaning with alcohol, the LampGard instructions say to use a spray bottle with one part baby shampoo to two parts water. This step is a must as the soapy spray keeps your fingers from sticking to the adhesive as you peel the film from the release backing, and it allows you to slide the film around to position on the lens.

The kit comes with a squeegee to work the excess water and bubbles out from under the film. I found I had to work over the film many times with the squeegee and reposition the film and use moderate amounts of the heat to get the film to lay down and stick. The soapy water allows you to reposition the film easily but it also keeps the film from sticking down, until you keep working the water and bubbles out. So it takes some time and patience. Sometimes you can't get it perfect and a little bit of the film will stick past an edge. I just used a razor blade to remove the extra film after it has had time to dry.

Also, the kits come with cutouts for your fog lights if you have them. You might first start there since they are usually less challenging so you can get a feel for how this works.

Registered
I wonder how much environment has to do with the hazing issue. I have owned several vehicles in my life, most with plastic headlights, and I've never had a hazing issue.

Administrator
I wonder how much environment has to do with the hazing issue. I have owned several vehicles in my life, most with plastic headlights, and I've never had a hazing issue.
Things that are harmful to polycarbonate headlights...

1. UV light - primarily from the sun, but some from the light source itself.
2. Not keeping them clean.
3. Mechanical abrasion (polishing) or chemicals (cleaners) that compromise the UV coating.

Registered
2007 RTL Steel Blue
If you keep a good coat of wax on them, they'll last a long time. I discovered this by accident when I was a kid. My parents bought a new 1988 Dodge Caravan which I would detail all the time, and I always waxed the plastic headlights when I did the rest of the vehicle. I didn't know any better..I just did it.
My aunt had an 87 Caravan that never met a carwash. Eventually her van's headlights and paint failed while ours were still clear and shiny. We lived around the corner from each other and neither vehicle ever saw a garage...except for when they were in the shop getting headgaskets LOL.

Super Moderator
Discussion Starter #31
Things that are harmful to polycarbonate headlights...

1. UV light - primarily from the sun, but some from the light source itself.
I crossed off the last two options and was wondering about the first one, with regard to having installed HID's on my RL. Could that be a factor or not?

Administrator
I crossed off the last two options and was wondering about the first one, with regard to having installed HID's on my RL. Could that be a factor or not?
HID light sources naturally produce a lot more UV light output than incandescent bulbs or LEDs.

Genuine HID bulbs from reputable manufacturers should have a UV-attenuating outer glass layer, but there's still a small amount of UV that passes through and degrades the headlight lenses over time more quickly than other types of lighting.

Registered
My Acura TSX came with factory HID kit and still got the same result. Don鈥檛 think it鈥檚 the oem or aftermarket HID kits.

It鈥檚 just the elements and cheap plastics. My TSX is a garage queen. Paint correction. Polish/wax. Only went thru 2 car washes ever since I bought it. Been hand wash with two bucket system. Gets driven maybe 3,000 miles a year at most and still got the headlight haze.

The Ridgeline sits in the elements and doesn鈥檛 get much love when it comes to polish/wax/paint correction. So wasn鈥檛 surprised to see this happen this soon.

Maybe I鈥檒l do a headlight restoration and buy the weathertech headlight film. But I am not good with vinyl so at this point I鈥檒l let it be lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Registered
Same thing on my 2017 with 16k miles as the original post. I'm in the Denver area but I bought mine used last fall. It was from the San Diego area. I stopped by the dealer yesterday and they won't warranty it. That said I am really disappointed in Honda using apparently garbage materials and not standing behind it. This was a common problem in the early days of plastic headlights (maybe up to around 2010) but most cars don't experience it now. I looked online to see what a replacement headlight would cost and saw something like $700. If it was $150 I would assume they are using cheap materials and the replacement wouldn't be so bad. But at a premium price this stuff should not happen after only 3 years. I ordered a Cerakote kit that is supposed to work well and last as long as I own the car. I've used 3M and a couple of others but it 's probably been 15 years since I had this problem.

Registered
A friend was complaining about this on his Pilot and a Ford pickup. I knew he parked outside all the time, usually facing west. I told him to try parking the other direction. He had the headlights restored and started parking facing east and they aren't deteriorating nearly as quickly.

Super Moderator
Discussion Starter #36
A friend was complaining about this on his Pilot and a Ford pickup. I knew parked outside all the time, usually facing west. I told him to try parking the other direction. He had the headlights restored and started parking facing east and they aren't deteriorating nearly as quickly.
I usually park facing south, but the height of my house blocks most of the sun nearly the entire day. That is why I get to shovel so much and my neighbors across the street have a dry track.

Registered
2019 RT Ridgeline ~ Luna Silver
Not a ridgeline but these are The headlights on the 06 crv that my youngest son is about to start driving. Was doing a little cleanup for him. I bought a 3M headlight restore kit. Impressed w results. Should have done it years ago.

My f150 did the same thing but my oldest fixed that by hitting a deer 馃.
new headlights 馃挕 馃槀 馃

Attachments

Super Moderator
Discussion Starter #38 (Edited)
I finally got to the task of polishing up my headlights. Wow, two Ridgeline projects in two days. I used the Sylvania headlight restore kit. It was basically a 5 step process:
  • Apply surface activator
  • Sand with 400, 1000, and 2000 grit sandpaper
  • Buff on (by hand) clarifying compound
  • Re-apply surface activator
  • Apply UV clear coat
Everything went fine up to the point of re-applying the surface activator. The lens was still not clear enough and there were fine scratches in it. I had to grab some Mequiar's M110 and M210 Ultra compound and polish and buff that on by hand. It took a little work, but most of the damage to the lens was removed. Then I applied the UV clear coat.

I am going to install the Weathertech Lampguard protection next week.

So far, this project should be considered a success.

hdl1.jpg hdl2.jpg hdl3.jpg

Registered
Same thing on my 2017 with 16k miles as the original post. I'm in the Denver area but I bought mine used last fall. It was from the San Diego area. I stopped by the dealer yesterday and they won't warranty it. That said I am really disappointed in Honda using apparently garbage materials and not standing behind it. This was a common problem in the early days of plastic headlights (maybe up to around 2010) but most cars don't experience it now. I looked online to see what a replacement headlight would cost and saw something like $700. If it was $150 I would assume they are using cheap materials and the replacement wouldn't be so bad. But at a premium price this stuff should not happen after only 3 years. I ordered a Cerakote kit that is supposed to work well and last as long as I own the car. I've used 3M and a couple of others but it 's probably been 15 years since I had this problem.
I had very mild hazing in the corners of my headlights. I followed the instructions on the prep work of cleaning and sanding. But one side did not go on even and seemed to be rough. I assume there must have been particles still on the surface before I applied the final coat. After letting it dry 90 minutes I lightly re-sanded the bad side with the gray final sanding paper, rinsed it off and wiped it with a clean towel. After letting it dry a second final coat did the trick. It's too soon to tell how long this stuff will last. It does look good.

Registered
2020 RTL-E Deep Scarlet Pearl
I just bought the Sylvania kit in the YouTube video for my wife鈥檚 2012 Acura MDX. I will post before and after pics to maybe help someone decide for or against this product.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts