·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's the follow up video. Sleep well Zroger! :grin:

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
Good choice, made in Japan. That car always wins the comparison tests. Unfortunately, your RL was a really bad example and you would have been part of the harness recall anyway to add to your frustration. When I read your posts and Csimos posts I'm waiting for my RL to fall apart but so far so good.

·
Registered
101 Posts
2 very slight different colors on the LED running lights. I've seen his previous videos...and I thought I was OCD.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
2 very slight different colors on the LED running lights. I've seen his previous videos...and I thought I was OCD.

HAHA... one DRL was 5000K and the other was 5500K lol.. actually it was noticeable, but hey if those were the worst of my problems then i'll take it! :)

I'd still give honda a chance, but they will have to give me a Ridgeline Type R for me to do it :)

I'm glad that most of the RL's on here are holding up, though I have read more horror stories and it's funny when my name gets mentioned :) I just had a bad apple, and even worse bag of apples when it came to customer service and dealing with corporate. Never in my wildest dreams would I imagine a corporate representative from Honda of America telling a loyal customer who has owned 9 hondas that that they didn't care about these forums and what the good people on this forum had to say about their Ridgelines. I wish I had recorded that conversation so that he wouldn't have a job with honda anymore. That guy is a real piece of work and shouldn't have any job dealing with the public. Honda never followed up with me on the incident and assumed that I just wen't away....

well guess what honda, i'm still here. :act030:

Happy new year! >:)

Reactions: don1968

·
Registered
377 Posts
Big Truck to Small CUV?

The totally new 2017 CX will be at dealers sometime in March, Mazda's odd about their intro dates.
Too bad you had to settle for the older version as the new one is much more like a small CX 9 than yours or my old one.

FromConsumer Reports:

"The new 2017 Mazda CX-5 may look like the outgoing model, but the changes go deep and are, indeed, substantial. Although the styling updates may seem subtle, the new CX-5 is both longer and lower than the previous version."

"The 2.5-liter four-cylinder engine carries over; output for the 2017 model wasn’t disclosed, but the last iteration of this powerplant put out 184 horsepower. Mazda has hinted that a diesel engine might come to the U.S. Buyers can still opt for either a six-speed automatic or six-speed manual transmission. Mazda says the 2017 models also get an enhanced stability control system."

I came from a '15 CX 5 GT and there is really no comparison between it and a Honda truck.
No way around it, a CX 5 is pretty tight inside.
Much smaller, slower, way less versatile but the Honda is a truck when you need one.

Actually Mazda's re-done CX 9 would be a proper comparo but it has cramped front seats that do not adjust vertically.
Even the cheaper CX 5 has that feature.

https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123856627-New-CX-9-vs-2017-Ridgeline

The Honda dealership allowed me $24,000 as a trade for it and 27 months of ownership and I paid $29, 500 for it.
Best thing about a most Mazdas is that if properly maintained they have good resale/trade values if you know how to deal.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Re: Big Truck to Small CUV?

The totally new 2017 CX will be at dealers sometime in March, Mazda's odd about their intro dates.
Too bad you had to settle for the older version as the new one is much more like a small CX 9 than yours or my old one.

FromConsumer Reports:

"The new 2017 Mazda CX-5 may look like the outgoing model, but the changes go deep and are, indeed, substantial. Although the styling updates may seem subtle, the new CX-5 is both longer and lower than the previous version."

"The 2.5-liter four-cylinder engine carries over; output for the 2017 model wasn’t disclosed, but the last iteration of this powerplant put out 184 horsepower. Mazda has hinted that a diesel engine might come to the U.S. Buyers can still opt for either a six-speed automatic or six-speed manual transmission. Mazda says the 2017 models also get an enhanced stability control system."

I came from a '15 CX 5 GT and there is really no comparison between it and a Honda truck.
No way around it, a CX 5 is pretty tight inside.
Much smaller, slower, way less versatile but the Honda is a truck when you need one.

Actually Mazda's re-done CX 9 would be a proper comparo but it has cramped front seats that do not adjust vertically.
Even the cheaper CX 5 has that feature.

https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123856627-New-CX-9-vs-2017-Ridgeline

The Honda dealership allowed me $24,000 as a trade for it and 27 months of ownership and I paid $29, 500 for it.
Best thing about a most Mazdas is that if properly maintained they have good resale/trade values if you know how to deal.
This new 2017 CX5 is on my short list as a replacement for my wifes car.Hopefully the diesel version which is supposed to be available mid year but with all the volkswagen crap it may be delayed. Never liked the busy ride of the CX5 which I have driven several times as rentals and my sister has one. They said they worked hard on improving this substantially so I assume it will no longer be an issue. Styling is greatly improved also. This one will surely have both front and rear heated and air conditioned seats along with heads up display and all the latest and greatest safety features. A diesel in this thing will probably get 40++ mpg.

·
Super Moderator
5,332 Posts
Nice vehicle--I owned one for two days. Took it back because it was to small. The AutoNation dealership at the time offered a 3 day-500 mile full return policy and I took advantage of it.

The black trim on the CX-5 does hug the contours of the wheel well much better than my G2. One odd thing about the CX-5 I owned, was that if you used the manual shift mode to upshift you actually pull the lever down rather than up as one would expect.

Reactions: Ridgerunner67

·
Registered
973 Posts
When I read your posts and Csimos posts I'm waiting for my RL to fall apart but so far so good.
Personally, I take both opinions with a whole truckload of salt. These single poster opinions have to be considered only one data point among thousands. They may be valid for the OP but are only universally valid if they become the majority or at least a very large percentage of owners. They are not even remotely close to that - in fact, quite the opposite.

IMHO what should matter are unbiased professional opinions (Consumer Reports and similar) plus one's own experience. Both of those have been close to 100% positive on both the G1 and G2 (and I was part of the - now fixed - harness recall).

Bottom line: Beware of Greeks bearing gifts and opinions on forums.

·
Registered
214 Posts
.......One odd thing about the CX-5 I owned, was that if you used the manual shift mode to upshift you actually pull the lever down rather than up as one would expect.
Actually, to many the down motion to upshift and up to downshift is more natural when speaking in terms of driving a manual transmission. 1-2, down; 3-4, down; 5-6, down. Reverse that for downshifting.

I find pulling the shifter down to downshift unnatural and weird. If I were driving a manual, I'd most likely be moving the shifter upwards to down shift and down to upshift.

·
Registered
50 Posts
So, Mazda has a quality control problems with head lights and its OK. The G2 has the same thing and all of Honda is crap. Nice double standards.

·
Registered
3,640 Posts
The sad news is I wanted a Ridgeline, but not a single one would pass my QA. Doors that were out of gap everywhere, hood alignment, trunk lid alignment, swing gates that were hard to open. Windshield trim that did no fit right - one had the rear lift seat that rattled just touching it. Kind of reminded me of looking at the 1993 Dodge Ram 1500's on a Dodge Dealership in 1993.

30 years ago, I could not find a single defect in any New Honda on the lot. 13 years ago, I saw a few issues, but none were the type to keep me from buying, 8 years ago I had my choice of 14 Ridgelines and only one had no visible defects and 6 were minor issues. 3 years ago, I found a Pilot with one minor issue and a CR-V with none.

Honda Quality is back to that of GM and Ford of the 1980's. Honda is too busy making cars to put quality in the builds - it is costing them a lot of sales only those folks that remember the quality of the 1990-1997 Accords think the new ones are as good.

I have to laugh at the Honda owners that have been rear ended on the interstates when the autonomous braking system slammed on the brakes because a vehicle was passing them and it saw "danger". Like I said before, no car/truck on the road should have one computer making driving decisions - it needs 3 with 2 agreeing to do any evasive maneuver. Someone is going to get killed because there is only one decision computer. I still remember seeing the Accord with the right side creased by a guard rail. The entrance ramp to the interstate had painted dashed to the end and the lane assist would not allow the car to merge because the turn signal was not on and the lady was not strong enough to override the computer or to stop before kissing the guard rail. I am pretty sure that if there had been 3 computers only one would have voted to go straight and the other two to merge.

I am betting that soon insurance companies will charge more for the vehicles with driver assist features since they can cause accidents.

I suspect that either Mazda, Kia or Hyundai will make my next car - I dislike turbo engines - supercharger are ok but the lag in turbos is a loser to me. Yes I owned a few turbo cars. The only one that was good was the Subaru GL-10. It had 165,000 miles on it when it was rear ended and totaled.

my 2 cents

Just remember that Cismo warned everyone - but few have listened.

·
Registered
926 Posts
Cismo can warn all he want, but when nothing's wrong w my RT, why listen?

I have read his gripes, and most sound like a woman scorned.

I looked through other trucks for a couple of months and the G2 fit me well, and I may have some gripes but they are minor and I wouldn't trade it for another kind of truck.

Of course, I have the RTL-T so all those 'extra' features don't have a chance to malfunction because they simply aren't there.

·
Registered
149 Posts
So this guy buys a Ridgeline truck, complains on YouTube about some defects, and then trades it in for ... a sports car? Sounds like he wanted a sports car all along, and used the RL issues to cover his bad purchasing decision.

Reactions: adubeau

·
Registered
973 Posts
I am betting that soon insurance companies will charge more for the vehicles with driver assist features since they can cause accidents.
Wow, I would take that bet for any amount you care to name. It would be a sure thing since I suspect soon you will be paying higher rates for vehicles w/o those features. To suggest otherwise is to totally ignore reality and statistics, all of which say that overall (and overall is all that counts when it comes to insurance rates) these systems are much safer.

·
Registered
973 Posts
So this guy buys a Ridgeline truck, complains on YouTube about some defects, and then trades it in for ... a sports car? Sounds like he wanted a sports car all along, and used the RL issues to cover his bad purchasing decision.
I would point to his signature line showing the number of vehicles he has owned. Significant? You decide.

·
Registered
973 Posts
Cismo can warn all he want, but when nothing's wrong w my RT, why listen?

I have read his gripes, and most sound like a woman scorned.
I also have gotten that feeling. It does make one wonder.

·
Registered
349 Posts
I did learn something from this post. Adjusted the rubber stop under the passenger side of the hood and now the alignment is perfect. Only minor issue I've had so far with my RTL-E = now fixed.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Lol, I bought a few 4-packs of LED flashlights at costco. each light had a different tint, i guess they have a quality control issue also :) that's just the nature of the beast. Like i said, i'll take a mis-matched headlight over a door gap, acceleration/safety issue and in-ept employees any day.

I'm very picky, maybe I should work for BASF? ;)

there are some things that are reasonable and acceptable. Hondas service was neither IMO. And here you have Mazda stepping up to the plate changing out the friggin headlights to satisfy a customer :) Way to go mazda, i dont care what anyone says.

As far as the soon to be released CX-5, I did my homework and I picked the 2016.5 for a reason :) I don't care for the CX-9 and the new 5 is a mini version of it if you ask me.

Remember guys, i traded in a CR-V for the RL. I owned 5 CR-Vs previously, so I like compact SUV/CUV's. The whole reason I bought a truck was to assist in the house build. Those plans are on hold so i don't need a truck anymore.

all in all it's been an interesting journey with honda. the take home point here is that their customer service and corporate is a joke. They don't build them or stand behind them as they have in the past. I'll never purchase another Honda, and if you do, buy at your own risk.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts