Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I find my headlights are aimed very low.....maybe I'm getting old and need to have an eye exam but I feel like they are bright but aimed very low while driving with low's. Highs are pretty close to what i would expect.

I'll have them check this next service visit but thought I would post and see if anyone has similar experience.....??

is this something I can do myself in case its not a warranty thing....??

·
Registered
578 Posts
Headlights should come aimed from teh factory... they can be off.
Keep in mind that our trucks are higher than typical cars... so if yuo raise the headlights too much, you are bound to get flashed.

·
Registered
430 Posts
The newer headlights are also designed to reduce the "wasted" light that is directed into the air. More of the beam is directed down and away than older headlights which just cast a beam of light out and away. There is still enough light directed up to illiminate signs and such, just less than older headlights. If you park two vehicles next to each other facing a building, one with new headlights and one with old headlights, you will see more of a horizontal "cut-off" line with the new headlights.

This increases the amount of light where you actually need it most and reduces the amount of glare vehicles in front of you experience.

Perhaps you are experiencing the reduced amount of light higher up in the beams path.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Yup, I totally agree with nevada. The RL's headlights do seem low compared to other trucks (I'm using a Suburban as a comparison vehicle here, but same difference), but I think Honda did this on purpose for both the wasted light reason and also because traditional truck headlight alignment is a total glare nightmare for oncoming cars and when you're behind a car that doesn't have tinted rear windows.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
I believe that light focal position from the front of a vehicle is supposed to be standardized. So these shouldn't really be any lower than other trucks, they should be about the same as any other vehicle of this size with the lights positioned in a similar position.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
methodtim said:
Yup, I totally agree with nevada. The RL's headlights do seem low compared to other trucks (I'm using a Suburban as a comparison vehicle here, but same difference), but I think Honda did this on purpose for both the wasted light reason and also because traditional truck headlight alignment is a total glare nightmare for oncoming cars and when you're behind a car that doesn't have tinted rear windows.
Oh if only someone would be nice to the low car drivers, I being one of them on a regular basis. I always hate being blinded by trucks that have been lifted.

·
Registered
430 Posts
I am not saying the focal point is low or the lights are aimed low, I am just suggesting that the new headlights project less light up above the height of the hood. My wife's new Subaru has an amazing "cut-off" line where the headlights don't shine up. Audi is also very famous for that.

·
Registered
626 Posts
gormley, my low beams are very good, so I would take yours somewhere to see if they're aimed incorrectly (as someone pointed out, they could've been aimed wrong in the factory) or if the bulbs are somehow defective. The low beams on this truck are *outstanding*, IMHO.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Gormley, I also have thought that my low beams were aimed too low. It seems that the vision on the Ridgeline is not as good as on my Subaru Outback Sedan. I've been meaning to have the lights checked but thought it may be MY problem. I will definately have them checked now..........

·
Registered
430 Posts
My lights are better than the '03 Accord I traded in for the Ridgeline......so I am happy with mine.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
nevadagarth said:
My lights are better than the '03 Accord I traded in for the Ridgeline......so I am happy with mine.
How do you like the Tribeca. My wife wouldn't even look at it, she said if I was trying my Forester to get a truck because I couldn't load wood into the back, the Tribeca wasn't going to do me any good. I agree but I still wanted to look at it.

As to the lights, could this be an issue of people who are used to cars moving to a truck and thinking the lights aren't as useful because you don't see as much of the road close to you as you do in a car? Honestly I haven't driven in the dark much to know, but the few times I did, I didn't think they were much different than my Subaru Forester.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I sold a 2003 Ford Ranger before I bought my RL. It set at least as high as the RL and my night vision was better in the Ranger.

·
Registered
430 Posts
My wife loves her Tribeca and the more I drive it the more I like it. It will never replace my love for the Ridgeline, but considering we have become a Subaru family (this is our fourth), the Tribeca was perfect for us.

The engine is snappy, the ride is smooth and quiet and you are surrounded by luxury.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
I don't drive at night very often, but the times I have, it is very obvious to me that my low beams are too high, and it seems I cannot see very well immediately in front. I always say to myself "Self, you should ask your fellow ROC heads about this"

Did a search on headlight alignment, took me awhile because it did not pick on this thread due to the separate words head light. Then, after I found this thread, and reading the posts, I realized I was the only one complaining it was aimed too high. Everyone else complained of being too low. So, now I've come to the conclusion that definitely my alignment is too high.

Any advise on how to bring them down? I have'nt gone out to take a look for the adjusting screws, it's friggen cold outside and it's now dark. The other question is does the high beams have separate adjusting screws or share the same for the low beam? My high beams are also way too high.:)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts