Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All - Have an RTL and would like to replace the headlights with a better than OEM replacement bulb but non-LED. Anyone have recommendations on what aftermarket bulbs offer better performance than stock (probably most based on the fairly poor performance of the OEM headlights, disappointing).

Thoughts and recommendations?

· Registered
441 Posts

· Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Stupid follow-up question - what's the easiest way to access the headlight bulbs? How is the plastic trim piece removed from the top front of the engine compartment - that's what I assume needs to be done to access, correct? Thanks - pics would be appreciated.

· Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Stupid follow-up question - what's the easiest way to access the headlight bulbs? How is the plastic trim piece removed from the top front of the engine compartment - that's what I assume needs to be done to access, correct? Thanks - pics would be appreciated.
Nevermind - RTFM - it's in the owners manual......

· Registered
441 Posts
The trim piece is very easy to remove and yeah I was going to say the owners manual has directions. The low beams weren't to bad but the fogs are more challenging.

· Registered
3,712 Posts
I've changed my fair share of bulbs but I find the RL virtually impossible to get my hand in there even with the cover removed. Those Hoen's appear to be out of stock. An Odyssey, Accord and CRV are much easier.

Those Hoen's look to be out of stock. I'm most likely going to try the Phillips H11 with the 30% more light that won't have much of a penalty in bulb life. Sometimes I don't think that the low beams are all that bad for non led. If I can get them to match my Accord I will be happier. The Accord has projector beams so I was hopeful that they would match or be better in the RL. My wife's CRV Touring has projector beams that seem to be much better.

· Registered
441 Posts
I've changed my fair share of bulbs but I find the RL virtually impossible to get my hand in there even with the cover removed. Those Hoen's appear to be out of stock. An Odyssey, Accord and CRV are much easier.

Those Hoen's look to be out of stock. I'm most likely going to try the Phillips H11 with the 30% more light that won't have much of a penalty in bulb life. Sometimes I don't think that the low beams are all that bad for non led. If I can get them to match my Accord I will be happier. The Accord has projector beams so I was hopeful that they would match or be better in the RL. My wife's CRV Touring has projector beams that seem to be much better.
Actually they are in stock. If you go under fog lights you want the 55w for the low beams. I believe it was before my time, but I read somewhere once the 70w were too powerful and were melting things.

· Registered
488 Posts
All - Have an RTL and would like to replace the headlights with a better than OEM replacement bulb but non-LED. Anyone have recommendations on what aftermarket bulbs offer better performance than stock (probably most based on the fairly poor performance of the OEM headlights, disappointing).

Thoughts and recommendations?
Philips X-Treme Vision +100%

There is an interesting comparison test here:
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...omparison-LED-H11-LL-H11-100-H9&highlight=H11

And here:
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...1-LL-H11-100-H9&highlight=H11+Philips+x-treme

· Registered
427 Posts
I installed XenonDepot 5000K HID bulbs (the Extreme kit that is super low-draw, so you do not even need the relays....just run them off the stock bulb wiring). It is literally the best investment I have EVER made on ANY vehicle I have owned. I did not adjust the aiming of the bulbs, and the amount of light ON THE ROAD is staggering. I got them on a super sale a few weekends ago, so I paid $123 shipped. There is literally zero glare hitting oncoming traffic, as i was extremely concerned about that as that is a HUGE pet-peeve of mine (being in law enforcement). The OEM housings are perfect for this kind of an upgrade. That kit is only 35watts. There are other kits on the market that are 55watts, but I was concerned about blinding oncoming traffic while cresting hills and such. My wife has sensitive eyes, and she said that while she was standing outside my house, with me driving towards her, the lights didnt bother her anymore than regular halogens. Might want to give them a shot.

· Registered
3 Posts
I installed XenonDepot 5000K HID bulbs (the Extreme kit that is super low-draw, so you do not even need the relays....just run them off the stock bulb wiring). It is literally the best investment I have EVER made on ANY vehicle I have owned. I did not adjust the aiming of the bulbs, and the amount of light ON THE ROAD is staggering. I got them on a super sale a few weekends ago, so I paid $123 shipped. There is literally zero glare hitting oncoming traffic, as i was extremely concerned about that as that is a HUGE pet-peeve of mine (being in law enforcement). The OEM housings are perfect for this kind of an upgrade. That kit is only 35watts. There are other kits on the market that are 55watts, but I was concerned about blinding oncoming traffic while cresting hills and such. My wife has sensitive eyes, and she said that while she was standing outside my house, with me driving towards her, the lights didnt bother her anymore than regular halogens. Might want to give them a shot.
I'm sorry to reanimate a thread that has been dead for 6 years, but Border411, can I ask if the headlight swap continued to work out, and if you were still happy with it in the long run?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts