Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't seem to remember how to turn off my headlights. I keep turning on my wipers instead! :D

·
Registered
635 Posts
Yes other people have made the same post, as I did.
It is especialy tough on us earlier Honda product owners, I have been trained since 1979 in Honda cars, the ergonomics all seemed natural. Now I need to retrain each time I move from Accord to Ridgeline.

I am assuming that Honda was trying to appeal to drivers of Fords and Chevy's they were all used to some kind of headlite knob where ours is located.

Or it is possible that Honda makes more money selling wiper blades than cars. I know I will now be wearing them out sooner on all of my Hondas.

Steve

·
Registered
264 Posts
I go back and forth between my Ridge and a GMC Savana . The controls are similar. Others have also complained about the difficulty of shifting from park into drive. This is also near identical in the column feel between the 2 vehicles. Maybe there is some truth to that thought process.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Like you Jules, I also drive occasionally my wife's GM van so the learning curve with the control placements is not that steep. I also used to drive a CR-V where wiper control was on the right side (i think).

·
Registered
188 Posts
Exactly!
Why are they trying to copy Ford or Chevy trucks?
We are mostly previous Honda owners, why change
something that wasn't wrong?
At least they didn't copy the non functioning running light from Chevy. :)

·
Registered
68 Posts
I have not turned on or off a headlight in 8 years, I was dissapointed that the ridge did not do it on Auto like my Chevy Avalanche , Tahoe, GMC Mountaineer, ect had. I guess i was spoiled with the lights and also fog lamps.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I would rather have nothing automatic.
If Honda considers DRL in U.S., I hope it's an option.
Still getting used to auto tranny.
Been driving manuals the last 10 years.

·
Registered
10,401 Posts
I hear ya, Northwood. I'm still reaching for the stick and stabbing for the clutch. The one thing that's made the transition easier is the incredible brake system on this truck. I'm not used to this kind of fine brake control.

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
Northwood said:
Exactly!
Why are they trying to copy Ford or Chevy trucks?
We are mostly previous Honda owners, why change
something that wasn't wrong?
At least they didn't copy the non functioning running light from Chevy. :)
Maybe they're expecting to take Ford and Chevy truck customers away and wanted it to "feel" natural to them when they take the test drive?

On the cars (at least our Accord), the shifter is in the floor which lets you have lights on one side of the steering column and wipers on the other. With the shifter on the column, something had to move because 2 "sticks" on the right side would be awkward. I like it the way it is, but then again, I was already used to it.

·
Registered
188 Posts
swampler said:
Maybe they're expecting to take Ford and Chevy truck customers away and wanted it to "feel" natural to them when they take the test drive?

On the cars (at least our Accord), the shifter is in the floor which lets you have lights on one side of the steering column and wipers on the other. With the shifter on the column, something had to move because 2 "sticks" on the right side would be awkward. I like it the way it is, but then again, I was already used to it.
Good points. I really don't think the light switch location would help
persuade them to buy a Honda though.
They'll know it's a better vehicle when they drive it. :)

·
Registered
97 Posts
I read somewhere that the reason why they placed the wiper control on the left side is to avoid reaching for the shifter by mistake. It actually makes sense.

One more thing, I also used to drive a Nissan with a manual tranny and had the same experience with pressing on the clutch pedal where there was none and reaching for a non-existent floor shifter. :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts