Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Twice my headlights have turned on by themselves. The truck was in my garage with the lights on auto. Had not driven the truck either day. Just walked in and found them on. Anyone have this issue or have any idea what is causing this?

·
Super Moderator
2021 Radiant Red RTL
8,089 Posts
Twice my headlights have turned on by themselves. The truck was in my garage with the lights on auto. Had not driven the truck either day. Just walked in and found them on. Anyone have this issue or have any idea what is causing this?
From @zroger73, "2. Auto on/off means that the headlights automatically turn on when it's dark and off when it's light when the headlight switch is set to "AUTO". If you left the headlights on when you shut off the truck, they will automatically turn on when the fob is detected. When you entered the garage the vehicle detected your fob.

Reactions: WB77

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
In the 5 years I have owned this 2017 Sport it has only done this 3 times. Twice yesterday and once about a month ago. The third time being after I posted this last night. I had been in the garage for about an hour heard a click and the lights were on. Until now I left the lights on auto and they came on when the truck was turned on and it was dark enough for the sensor to turn them on. The fob never turned them on. I think something is wrong.

·
Registered
108 Posts
All the time. If you locate the turn signal switch (seems to be tougher for some drivers than others) you will find a dial at the end to control the headlights which has a setting "Auto". This stands for automatic lights not automotive lights. When it gets dark and/or you have the windshield wipers on, the headlights will turn on.

If you do not have an "Auto" setting you may want to try the time honored IT solution of unplugging (remove the battery) and reboot the truck.

·
Registered
2021 RTL-E, Lunar Silver Metallic
918 Posts
Is it possible the driver door was slightly ajar? The headlights in the auto position will come on when the driver door is opened even without the fob nearby.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Is it possible the driver door was slightly ajar? The headlights in the auto position will come on when the driver door is opened even without the fob nearby.
I wish it was that but I don’t think so. The truck is off with doors closed and the lights just come on. I did hear a click like you hear when you push the start button.

·
Registered
2021 RTL-E, Lunar Silver Metallic
918 Posts
I wish it was that but I don’t think so. The truck is off with doors closed and the lights just come on. I did hear a click like you hear when you push the start button.
Perhaps the door sensor is at fault. Your truck is 5 years old. Has this started happening just recently?

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
This happened once about a month ago then twice a few days ago. My lights never come on when the doors open. Only when the truck is turned on. This is a Sport so perhaps some of the higher trims do. IDK but I think there is a control module that could cause this as I have seen on 3rd gen pilot in a forum.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Update: Now my alarm will activate for no reason. Based on other post here I think my MICU is bad.
Hopefully this is not the case, sounds expensive to diagnose and fix. Wonder if the second fob could be involved. Perhaps stored in proximity to the vehicle and getting unintended button pushes?
The previously stated idea of disconnecting the battery is reboot also seems like a good idea.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Actually the second fob was far away from the truck when this happened last time (like 2 hours driver away). I have actually replaced the battery since all this started. I guess I will take it to the dealership service dept.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts