Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

Has your Ridgeline headliner sagged?

• Total voters
41 - 60 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Just noticed a couple weeks ago the headliner on my 07 RTL (sunroof) is beginning to drop down in a couple places. It's beginning to come down next to the back glass in the rear on the passenger side and over the passenger side window. It took a minute to realize it was sagging as it was hard to tell the difference between where its sagging now and the contour of the headliner.

·
Registered
9,815 Posts
^^ Give it a few weeks and it will get worse. Luckily, with a sunroof, even when the majority of it starts sagging there aren't many areas where it can drop down far enough for it to become annoying. I really can't complain about mine sagging now. I always have the windows down while driving in my 07 RTL when the weather cooperates. Plus, we get temps from -10 to 105 here with a decent amount of humidity. A couple hundred bucks to get it fixed isn't a big deal.

·
Registered
67 Posts
^^ Awesome! Thank you for that. I would think that removing and reinstalling would cost more than $90. I know those shops are pros at trim panel removal, but it's still going to take at least an hour to get it out of there and another hour to get it back in. Oh well. There are two shops close to me that I'll be calling at some point to get it taken care of. I'll report back after. Could be this fall or I may let it ride til spring if it doesn't bother me.
No problem.
Good luck with whatever you decide to do!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Had to replace the sagging headliner in my 2006 Ridgeline RTL. OEM glue breaks down. My was always garaged in Southern Illinois. Want to remember total cost for removal, materials and labor was just short of $450.

·
Registered
375 Posts
I finally had mine fixed this week (2007 RTL). I had two quotes for the work: $475 (with a 30+ day wait) and another shop that quoted $350, with sunroof. I went with the cheap guy. He used a "generic" headliner fabric, so it's not the same weave/texture as the original, but the color match is perfect. Seems to be a little more thickly padded than the original, so the sunroof is a little "stiffer" to open. I was a bit worried about the plastic trim being damaged, but looks to be perfect. It's been sagging so long I forgot how the ceiling was even contoured!

Attachments

·
Registered
67 Posts
I finally had mine fixed this week (2007 RTL). I had two quotes for the work: $475 (with a 30+ day wait) and another shop that quoted $350, with sunroof. I went with the cheap guy. He used a "generic" headliner fabric, so it's not the same weave/texture as the original, but the color match is perfect. Seems to be a little more thickly padded than the original, so the sunroof is a little "stiffer" to open. I was a bit worried about the plastic trim being damaged, but looks to be perfect. It's been sagging so long I forgot how the ceiling was even contoured!
My sunroof cover was a little stiffer too, but the actual sunroof seems to open just fine. I imagine it's probably closer to how it was when the truck was brand new. Figure the cover will get a little smoother over time, although I rarely use the sunroof anyway.
And I too had forgotten all of the contours of the roof, nice to see it again!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just bought my 2008 RTS. Had it for a month. Drove for first time on highway with all windows open , now 90% is sagging, boom just like that! Any recommendations for repair kits , etc?

·
Super Moderator
6,799 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Just bought my 2008 RTS. Had it for a month. Drove for first time on highway with all windows open , now 90% is sagging, boom just like that! Any recommendations for repair kits , etc?
I would suggest having a new headliner professionally installed. Will run you about. $400. Mine was $395 and am happy with it

·
Registered
2 Posts
The headliner on my '08 RTL is sagging badly. Over the past year I have made a point to stop anyone I see in a parking lot who drives a Ridgeline and have not met one person whose headliner has not sagged.

If the number of Ridgeline owners experiencing this problem is significant I'm hoping that we can convince Honda to replace the failing headliners much in the same way that Toyota is replacing cracked dashboards in their Siennas.
I had to replace mine after 10 years and 81K miles. No biggie. Any good upholstery shop can do it.

·
Registered
117 Posts
And what did it cost you? Because around here they quoted a stupid amount due to the work of getting it out and would have to remove so much. A couple grand is ridiculous.

·
Registered
9,815 Posts
And what did it cost you? Because around here they quoted a stupid amount due to the work of getting it out and would have to remove so much. A couple grand is ridiculous.
There is another thread floating around here about this in which the average price for this job is about $350-400. From what I'm able to tell, this price included the removal of the headliner, scraping off the old material, gluing on new material, and re-installing. Removing the headliner does NOT take a whole lot of time and any vehicle upholstery shop who knows what they're doing could have it out in about 20-30 min. If a shop is quoting you over $2000 to do the job, go elsewhere.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The headliner on my '08 RTL is sagging badly. Over the past year I have made a point to stop anyone I see in a parking lot who drives a Ridgeline and have not met one person whose headliner has not sagged.

If the number of Ridgeline owners experiencing this problem is significant I'm hoping that we can convince Honda to replace the failing headliners much in the same way that Toyota is replacing cracked dashboards in their Siennas.
I did a lot of travelling between DC and NJ during periods of heat and high humidity- and no Air Conditioning. The windows were open to keep cool. The wind beating on the headliner, heat and humidity- it was basically pulled down. A buddy of mine in Florida, his headliner starting coming down a couple years ago.

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
Still no issues with mine at 307,000 miles now and I have even had a body shop remove part of mine to reinstall the destroyed OEM Sirius antenna about 6 months ago. Still the same nice tight headliner.

·
Registered
4 Posts
The rear section of my was sagging. Had it replaced in Little Rock for $350. Very happy with the color match and they finished product.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I need to get my 2008 RTX headliner replaced. It is sagging on passenger and driver side. Can someone give me a rough estimate on how much it was cost and about how long it will take to be replaced by a professional? Thanks

·
Registered
14 Posts
I need to get my 2008 RTX headliner replaced. It is sagging on passenger and driver side. Can someone give me a rough estimate on how much it was cost and about how long it will take to be replaced by a professional? Thanks
$250-$300 around where I live in California, DIY $46 for the material and $10 for the spray on amazon. Check out youtube. Very easy to do. Took me 2 hours.

·
Super Moderator
22,619 Posts
No headliner issues in either my 2006 Pilot nor 2008 Ridgeline. Yet.

My beater '99 Civic has some issues due to sun damage and is coming apart near the sun shades. I need to find a local shop.

41 - 60 of 60 Posts