Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

Has your Ridgeline headliner sagged?

• Total voters
61 - 69 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
The headliner on my '08 RTL is sagging badly. Over the past year I have made a point to stop anyone I see in a parking lot who drives a Ridgeline and have not met one person whose headliner has not sagged.

If the number of Ridgeline owners experiencing this problem is significant I'm hoping that we can convince Honda to replace the failing headliners much in the same way that Toyota is replacing cracked dashboards in their Siennas.
My 2009 RTS Headliner is sagging and in process of getting pricing from Upholstery shops to re-glue/replace it.

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
My 2009 is also letting go. I'm researching doing it myself. Lots of information here and on YouTub. I've got a new timing belt and possibly new rotors in my future. So I need to save some dough on the headliner.

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
... Makes me wonder why there isn't a better way to manufacture headliners. I know, or think, all the manufacturers do it this way. Couldn't they spray some serious glue and then coat microfiber felted beads or something?

·
Registered
2007 Nimbus Grey Metallic RTL
10,044 Posts
Mine has now nearly completely let go in all areas. However, between the sunroof, rear light, and other things attached to the roof, the sag doesn't affect head room. It hasn't bothered me as much as I thought it would, but I know it will need addressed at some point. I'm not wanting to spend $400 on having a shop do it for me, so I'll be looking into doing in myself, too. Just need to find the best source for fabric, adhesive, etc.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Mine has now nearly completely let go in all areas. However, between the sunroof, rear light, and other things attached to the roof, the sag doesn't affect head room. It hasn't bothered me as much as I thought it would, but I know it will need addressed at some point. I'm not wanting to spend $400 on having a shop do it for me, so I'll be looking into doing in myself, too. Just need to find the best source for fabric, adhesive, etc.
The headliner in my 2008 was almost completely detached. I tried to use a spray adhesive to stick it back up, but it didn't work. I got a little frustrated, and yanked out the headliner altogether. There was a bunch of nasty adhesive residue on the fiberglass roof panel, so I used Goo-Gone and a sanding sponge to remove everything I could. It still looked awful.

I didn't want to drop a bunch of $$ on a headliner, so I thought I'd try painting it. I taped everything carefully, covered the seats and dash, and I wore a face mask and hat to protect myself. It took two coats of Killz to cover the glue residue. I put another two coats of interior paint on top of that, and, voila! Problem solved!

You can see in the pic that it's not perfect, but I don't think most people would notice the mistakes. It also gives the truck a bit of rugged look, kinda like the inside of a Jeep. Best of all, it only cost me about $20, plus a couple hours of work.

Hopefully, this will be of some help to somebody!

IMG_2240.jpg

·
Registered
50 Posts
The headliner in my 2008 was almost completely detached. I tried to use a spray adhesive to stick it back up, but it didn't work. I got a little frustrated, and yanked out the headliner altogether. There was a bunch of nasty adhesive residue on the fiberglass roof panel, so I used Goo-Gone and a sanding sponge to remove everything I could. It still looked awful.

I didn't want to drop a bunch of $$ on a headliner, so I thought I'd try painting it. I taped everything carefully, covered the seats and dash, and I wore a face mask and hat to protect myself. It took two coats of Killz to cover the glue residue. I put another two coats of interior paint on top of that, and, voila! Problem solved!

You can see in the pic that it's not perfect, but I don't think most people would notice the mistakes. It also gives the truck a bit of rugged look, kinda like the inside of a Jeep. Best of all, it only cost me about $20, plus a couple hours of work.

Hopefully, this will be of some help to somebody!

View attachment 405019
Very nice option, definitely adds to the rugged look of our trucks.

·
Registered
10,044 Posts
That's actually pretty cool. You remove the fabric from the equation altogether so it can't sag. I'm at the point of ownership with this truck that I just need it to function. Looks are a plus, but I'm not dropping $800 for a new one nor am I fond of $350-400 having a upholstery shop do it for me. I will eventually get to it when it bothers me enough.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Thanks Ty Webb. Your solution makes perfect sense. My 2008 is sagging between the rear window and the sunroof. Instead of paying big $$ for an upholstery shop I'm going to strip it and paint it! 206K on the odo and a few dents but still running fine!

·
Registered
10,044 Posts
Just curious, but being that you're basically stripping the fabric and foam from the headliner, prepping, painting, and re-installing, wouldn't it make for an overall louder cab? I mean, while you have it down, you can certainly apply some sort of deadening material to the roof to help with that, but I would think having a solid surface headliner would make the cab a much noisier place to be.

61 - 69 of 69 Posts