Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Problem 1:
Wife does not like the passenger headrest, because of the forward tilt design it does not allow you to lay your head back with the seat reclined which is nice for sleeping on our 13 hour road trips.

Problem 2:
Right rear seat headrest helps enlarge the already significant blind spot for checking right lane traffic after coming off an exit ramp.

Does any one know of any aftermarket headrest that would be available?

·
Registered
159 Posts
:) HA HA ! Thats funny! My wife said the same thing. So what I did was turn it around for he while we drive and it worked fine. Just take it all the way out and turn it around.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
swishman said:
:) HA HA ! Thats funny! My wife said the same thing. So what I did was turn it around for he while we drive and it worked fine. Just take it all the way out and turn it around.
We did that on the test drive, but what to do about the rear, short of just removing it?

·
Registered
430 Posts
Go long............................remove them.

Or adjust your mirrors the CORRECT way.
Driver's side rear view mirror should be adjusted by placing your head against the driver's door window. Adjust the mirror so that you just see the side of your truck in the right side.
Passenger side rear view mirror sould be adjusted by leaning towards the middle of the vehicle. Adjust the mirror so that you just see the side of your truck in the left side.

It will take some getting used to, but trust me, your field of rearward vision has just DRAMATICALLY improved. In essence the side mirrors are now looking into your blind spot. You will notice that as a vehicle leaves your field of view in the rear view mirror it will appear in your side rear view mirrors. As the vehicle leaves the field of view of your side rear view mirrors, it will enter your peripherial vision. If you have decreased peripherial vision, you will just have to turn your head slightly to the side instead of careening your neck.

Try it, you'll like it!

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Has anyone had a loose driver or passenger headrest?

·
Premium Member
6,881 Posts
Oddjob said:
Has anyone had a loose driver or passenger headrest?
Hi Oddjob, Ours were installed backwards and were loose when we bought the truck. Then I just happened to find this Ridgeline Owners Club website and someone had said to pull the headrest out and turn them 180° and reinsert them so I went out to my Ridge and poof problem solved..... I don't know if you have done this yet, but it worked for me.:)

·
Registered
479 Posts
nevadagarth said:
Go long............................remove them.

Or adjust your mirrors the CORRECT way.
Driver's side rear view mirror should be adjusted by placing your head against the driver's door window. Adjust the mirror so that you just see the side of your truck in the right side.
Passenger side rear view mirror sould be adjusted by leaning towards the middle of the vehicle. Adjust the mirror so that you just see the side of your truck in the left side.

It will take some getting used to, but trust me, your field of rearward vision has just DRAMATICALLY improved. In essence the side mirrors are now looking into your blind spot. You will notice that as a vehicle leaves your field of view in the rear view mirror it will appear in your side rear view mirrors. As the vehicle leaves the field of view of your side rear view mirrors, it will enter your peripherial vision. If you have decreased peripherial vision, you will just have to turn your head slightly to the side instead of careening your neck.

Try it, you'll like it!
Bingo!

I totally agree! I love the head restraints on this truck. And I have a nice bed at home for sleeping.:eek:

fins

·
Premium Member
5,392 Posts
Our backseat headrests are removed. If we have passengers for the back we have to take out the doggie deck and we put the headrests back. They fit nicely under the seat buy may need to be anchored if you don't have the underseat storage.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
5S Dude said:
Hi Oddjob, Ours were installed backwards and were loose when we bought the truck. Then I just happened to find this Ridgeline Owners Club website and someone had said to pull the headrest out and turn them 180° and reinsert them so I went out to my Ridge and poof problem solved..... I don't know if you have done this yet, but it worked for me.:)
I'll give it a try. But I really think they are in correctly just the driver's is a little loose...... It is pouring cats & dogs now so I'll do it tomorrow and let ya know....

·
Premium Member
5,392 Posts
I bought one of those squishy pillows for the headrest and it made it much more comfy, but I won't be sleeping in my truck unless there's a big emergency.

·
Registered
112 Posts
My headrest problem is a bit different. In my rush to get my child's car seat installed in my ridge I didn't put anything between the hard plastic and the headrest. I recently moved the seat to the other side of the car and noticed that there is now an indentation where the car seat was pressing against the headrest. Does anyone have any suggestions for how to get the headrest back to its original form? It is not a critical problem (I know I coujld just buy a new one) it just really annoys me every time I look at it. I hate to see a blemish on such a new truck.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
If it was summertime I would say to just leave it in the sun for a while. Maybe a nice sunny window will allow it to get warm enough to allow it to relax.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Several things come to mind. Best case scenario is whiplash. (ouch!) Worst case scenario is basilar skull fracture. (nice knowin' ya!)

I don't particularly like the headrests either. This thread explains why my dealer had each one raised completely - so average height people aren't annoyed by them on a test drive. But completely removing an integral part of this vehicles safety equipment (or turning them around backwards?) seems like a really bad idea.

The best idea is probably to have someone else adjust the headrest height while the occupant is sitting in that seat. I'd rather adjust to the headrest than jeopardize my safety. It's different from my other car, but I'll adjust to it.

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
All new cars seem to have headrests that lean forward way more than they used to. Definitely someone figured out that whiplash control is only achieved with the headrests closer to the head than they used to be. The Ridgeline's are not as bad as some others, but they are definitely noticeable, especially if your last vehicle was more than a couple of years old.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
swampler said:
My head isn't near the headrest while driving unless I lean my head back on purpose. Maybe, being tall, I recline my seat more than those who don't like the headrests?
I am exactly the same as you, for me to put my head on the headrest I need to be in a rather uncomfortable position because normally my head is a few inches in front of the headrest. Maybe it is because our necks lean unnaturally forward ;).

·
Registered
319 Posts
BlueVette said:
Several things come to mind. Best case scenario is whiplash. (ouch!) Worst case scenario is basilar skull fracture. (nice knowin' ya!)

I don't particularly like the headrests either. This thread explains why my dealer had each one raised completely - so average height people aren't annoyed by them on a test drive. But completely removing an integral part of this vehicles safety equipment (or turning them around backwards?) seems like a really bad idea.

The best idea is probably to have someone else adjust the headrest height while the occupant is sitting in that seat. I'd rather adjust to the headrest than jeopardize my safety. It's different from my other car, but I'll adjust to it.

Excellent points. Changing those headrests is putting your future mobility at great risk. Unless you like self propelled or battery powered 4 wheel vehicles, I think you should not mess with the headrests. Removal being by far the worst scenario. I actually like the forward angle of mine. Whiplash occurs when the vehicle accelerates underneath you in a rear end collision. Actually it is now called an acceleration/deceleration injury, not whiplash. Your body moves forward first (accelerates) as the seat carries you forward. Your head follows slightly after because there is nothing behind it until it hits the headrest (decelerates). So the forward angle actually decreases the time and distance your head translates backward. Because the energy is reduced when the movement of the head is less, there is potentially less injury to the muscles and ligaments, and less recoil forward. All of which are a good thing. Proper placement should put your head approximatley 2 inches in front of the headrest with the bump on your skull in the back approximately at the half way point or higher on the headrest (NEVER above the headrest). Any more than that is bad and obviously less would be better in a rear end collision, but worse in a frontal collision. In a frontal collision the truck stops first but you keep moving forward. Hence the airbags. THe farther your head is coming forward before striking the air bag can and does cause neck injury, but it keeps you off the dangerous steering wheel and windshield, both of which cause nasty problems.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts