Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 222 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Heated Seat Performance

I own a 2017 Ridgeline and I noticed that when I turn on the drivers seat heater on high, it takes sometime for it to heat up and when it does, it never really gets warm enough to turn it to low or off. It almost feel like it is in low heat. If I put it on low it does not get very warm at all. I was wondering if anyone else has this problem and if so what can be done. My wife's 2013 pilot heats up in no time and you have to turn it down in a short time. Thanks

·
Administrator
7,332 Posts
re: Heated Seat Performance

I own a 2017 Ridgeline and I noticed that when I turn on the drivers seat heater on high, it takes sometime for it to heat up and when it does, it never really gets warm enough to turn it to low or off. It almost feel like it is in low heat. If I put it on low it does not get very warm at all. I was wondering if anyone else has this problem and if so what can be done. My wife's 2013 pilot heats up in no time and you have to turn it down in a short time. Thanks
Energy to heat the seat means more amps from the alternator and/or battery. It reduces fuel economy and is not "green technology".

I honestly wish I could explain how SCREWED UP Honda's current mentality is. I honestly don't expect them to be a major player in the North America market in the next few years. Low quality, lagging technology, poor engineering, and terrible assembly. They were also named as one of the worst as far as recalls and being a company that was not FORCED to recall vehicles for safety violations (and it's much more that the air bags). Honda is in chaos. Shipping JUNK in my opinion.

It's very sad. There are still some elite engineers at HRA and they are ignored. The new Ridgelne is a thrown together severe compromise. I'm not disputing it's versatility, but honestly it's poorly engineered and assembled terribly in my opinion. Once again Honda shoots themselves in the foot. They can't ride on their reputation of years ago much longer. They'll be a non-player unless drastic changes are made. GUARANTEED. And yes you can count on your resale tanking if that occurs.

Sometime the truth hurts. Ito ran the company into the ground. The new regime talks the talk but does NOT walk the walk. It's a nightmare at HMA and HRA. Not to mention the screwed up corporate structure they use to avoid US taxes.

The Ridgeline remains the most versatile vehicle in it's class, but engineering and assembly errors more than offset that fact. I will NOT buy a G2 unless I see DRASTIC changes. It's really that bad in my opinion.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts

I've noticed that the seat heater works the best when you really drive the truck harder and get the revs up. My guess on this is the energy saving feature of the power control for the alternator is cutting out the seat heater. They probably provide a minimum amount of on time when the truck is idling or running low RPM's. When you pick up the rpm's above 3k it heats up quick.

Steve M

·
Registered
179 Posts

Energy to heat the seat means more amps from the alternator and/or battery. It reduces fuel economy and is not "green technology".

I honestly wish I could explain how SCREWED UP Honda's current mentality is. I honestly don't expect them to be a major player in the North America market in the next few years. Low quality, lagging technology, poor engineering, and terrible assembly. They were also named as one of the worst as far as recalls and being a company that was not FORCED to recall vehicles for safety violations (and it's much more that the air bags). Honda is in chaos. Shipping JUNK in my opinion.

It's very sad. There are still some elite engineers at HRA and they are ignored. The new Ridgelne is a thrown together severe compromise. I'm not disputing it's versatility, but honestly it's poorly engineered and assembled terribly in my opinion. Once again Honda shoots themselves in the foot. They can't ride on their reputation of years ago much longer. They'll be a non-player unless drastic changes are made. GUARANTEED. And yes you can count on your resale tanking if that occurs.

Sometime the truth hurts. Ito ran the company into the ground. The new regime talks the talk but does NOT walk the walk. It's a nightmare at HMA and HRA. Not to mention the screwed up corporate structure they use to avoid US taxes.

The Ridgeline remains the most versatile vehicle in it's class, but engineering and assembly errors more than offset that fact. I will NOT buy a G2 unless I see DRASTIC changes. It's really that bad in my opinion.
wow. not what I wanted to read. Just ordered a g2 and should be in in Feb. Reading this makes me rethink things and maybe should stick with my Colorado. I test drove one and it seemed nice. But I did put on heated seat and it did not get hot. that is something I use daily in my truck on high because it helps my back butt as much as I am in it.

·
Registered
534 Posts

I've noticed that the seat heater works the best when you really drive the truck harder and get the revs up. My guess on this is the energy saving feature of the power control for the alternator is cutting out the seat heater. They probably provide a minimum amount of on time when the truck is idling or running low RPM's. When you pick up the rpm's above 3k it heats up quick.

Steve M
I had to take an accident detour today on a more highway road to work this morning when it was 38 degrees, had the seat on high and thought I noticed it hotter than when I was on my normal road doing 35-50mph vs 65mph this morning. I was on the gas much more than usual and had a thought like the seat was getting more juice because on it, but that was my bizarre thinking self and wasn't sure if true or not. But funny you mentioned it.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts

The real problem in vehicles today is that the power system in use is only 12v. And with all of the power hungry accessories they put into them it is overloading the charging circuits. There has been talk of pressing a 48v system into service in more cars. I know there are few out there now that they've converted to a hybrid system of 48v and 12v (legacy power for existing circuitry). I've read a couple articles about this now and I believe we'll be seeing more of it as we move to electric vehicles.

The real reason for a 48v system is that it is more efficient for use in a car than the 12v one in use.

Steve M

·
Registered
1,363 Posts

wow. not what I wanted to read. Just ordered a g2 and should be in in Feb. Reading this makes me rethink things and maybe should stick with my Colorado. I test drove one and it seemed nice. But I did put on heated seat and it did not get hot. that is something I use daily in my truck on high because it helps my back butt as much as I am in it.
I agree with him also. I would not buy one right now, no way. Too much money for too much risk. If you have the Duramax version no way I'd make that trade. I'm waiting for the new ZR2 reviews.

·
Registered
458 Posts

I use mine on a regular basis as of late and after about 10-15 mins or so I need to lower the heat or turn it off as it gets too warm for my liking. I really cannot complain at all. That being said, my past cars all had heated seats and do not see any real difference in overall heat or how quickly it heats up.

·
Registered
459 Posts

My gf has a 16 Jetta with a 12v system and those seat heaters roast ass.

I wonder about our seat heaters, is it lack of voltage? Is there a preset timer? Thermostat perhaps?

Time to get a printout of the seat heater electronics. Perhaps there is a modification we might make 😎

·
Registered
231 Posts

I use mine on a regular basis as of late and after about 10-15 mins or so I need to lower the heat or turn it off as it gets too warm for my liking. I really cannot complain at all. That being said, my past cars all had heated seats and do not see any real difference in overall heat or how quickly it heats up.
Mine is the same, I have no issues with the seat heaters or the seats themselves. Maybe being a climate were a person really needs them makes a difference. The only complaint I could muster up about the seat heater is that they do not turn off when the vehicle is shut down. Well, that and the fact that I have to go to Canada to get rear seat heaters. Which I tried by the way...

Have to add, That negative burst is one persons opinion, in my opinion. Honda has always been a leader in quality and my G2 is as good as any vehicle I have ever owned and that includes many brands known for quality, performance and advanced engineering. In general the automotive press agrees especially as it relates to the Accord, Civic, Ridgeline and others. The auto business is very tough, it has many critics, know it alls and highly opinionated individuals, not to mention all the government interference. I suggest that anyone should do their own research using all available sources, weigh the results and show your opinion with your pocketbook.

·
Registered
179 Posts

I agree with him also. I would not buy one right now, no way. Too much money for too much risk. If you have the Duramax version no way I'd make that trade. I'm waiting for the new ZR2 reviews.
the new zr2 is going to be nice especially if you do not tow over 5k anyway. I do not. It would give me a lot better off road vehicle when needed if I wanted to go extreme off road which I used too but this truck is not really good for in its form. I will see what happens between now and Feb and keep on this sight. Like I said the ride and comfort where fantastic on the g2. The Colorado is not bad just not near as smooth as ride and not as comfortable either but not horrible.

·
Registered
179 Posts

well I took the be tonight again for 20 mile test drive and all I can say is I am taking my rtl e . ride and comfort is so much nicer than the Colorado. I really like it a lot and amazed. Wish it was rtl e in silver and id of took it tonight. Now the wait till Feb.

·
Registered
2 Posts

I am having same issues as louie, low heat or no heat.
Fairly sure it can be fixed.
Heated seats are old technology.
Maybe thermostat or relay or loose wire.
Will take to dealer next week.

·
Registered
38 Posts

HONDA heated seats aren't very warm in any of the vehicles I've owned. 2007 ridge rtl , 2007 accord. Just got a 2017 rtl-e .....same deal barely get warm. Need to go German marque to get warm seats. VW,BMW,PORSCHE etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11 Posts
Seat heaters don't work after remote start followed by vehicle entry and pushing star

New problem just started. Intermittently following remote start and then getting into truck neither seat heaters work in front didn't check back yet. Seat cooling still works. Next time I remote start ok don't usually have silly problems like this with Honda. Anyone else?

·
Registered
284 Posts
Re: Seat heaters don't work after remote start followed by vehicle entry and pushing

New problem just started. Intermittently following remote start and then getting into truck neither seat heaters work in front didn't check back yet. Seat cooling still works. Next time I remote start ok don't usually have silly problems like this with Honda. Anyone else?
I'm assuming this is for a gen 2 RL as your profile shows a 2006 RL. My seat heater is adequate but does take a little longer than my past vehicle, a VW. But, it does work after using my remote start. Silly question but you are turning it on once you start your RL? It doesn't remain on after remote start mode is ended, same for the steering wheel heater. You have to manually toggle these on after you start your vehicle. You probably know this but I wanted to make sure.

I always use the high setting for my seat heater. I don't feel the low heats up much. Now on the other hand the steering wheel heater works well and quickly!

Paul.

1 - 20 of 222 Posts