Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. Long time no post. Has anyone had any problems w/the air not blowing out at a consistent temperature? Any info is appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I have an RT with "old fashion dial" heat control that has been great. We hit temps low a 4 degrees F last week. What type of heat system is in your truck? I guess I am asking if this is an electrical problem with the climate control or a problem with the heat itself.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
No problem here at all. The HVAC system maintains the temperature perfectly. I have not noticed if the outlet temperature varies but it makes sense that it would vary somewhat. If yours is changing enough to make it uncomfortable, something may be wrong with yours.

·
Registered
626 Posts
I believe the RTS is similar to the RTL -- the temperature of the air that is coming out will be relative to the current cabin temperature and the temperature to which you have it configured. The RL is also smart enough to factor in sunshine using a detector on the top of the dash near the windshield. The temperature sensor is on the dash near your right knee when you're driving, I believe.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would assume my heating system is the same as any other Ridgeline. It's definitely a problem and would like to know if anyone else has experienced something similar and possibly knows the cause. Thanks everyone for your responses.

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
Not sure if this is what you're referring to or not, but when I first start the RL and it's cold, the heat blows out really hot, then as it approaches the set temperature it starts to cool. As a result, I usually start with the heat seat on 68 and gradually increase it to 72, and sometimes 74, to get warm without burning up while it is coming up to temperature.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I HAD A Ridgline and SHE USED to keep the cabin a consistant temp. Never EVER had a problem. Was it the HEATER that cause my truck to catch fire? Well the some was coming out of the AIR vents in the front dash that surronds the radio............HMMM I dunno. When I looked into the AIR vents that is WHERE I did see flames being shot around and it was at that time that I hurried out of the truck and call fire rescue. None the less hope that you get it looked at!

·
Premium Member
6,881 Posts
speardiver said:
Hi. Long time no post. Has anyone had any problems w/the air not blowing out at a consistent temperature? Any info is appreciated. Thanks.
No heater issues here. Works great. Six months old & 6800 miles.

·
Registered
289 Posts
No problems with the heater as far as I can tell. The internal temperature seems to be pretty constant once it has warmed up. Can't honestly say if the heated air blowing through the vents is at a constant temperature or not. :confused:

L

·
0 Posts
No problems here.
I drove 11 hours yesterday and never once had to adjust the heat due to it being to cold or too hot. I don't recall EVER having to do that in any vehicle before.
I "Set and Forget it!!" :D

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
speardiver said:
I am not sure if you have the digital Heat & A/C control... the digital takes time depending on temperatures to become stable and comfortable. It does try to bring it to the setpoint quickly causing (what I think) excessive fan speed, but is easily adjustable by slowing down the fan.
This is one reason I went with remote start. Today 20 degrees outside, started the truck 5 minutes before I left and with the auto a/c on and all was perfect.
Once your truck reaches normal temperatures, the temperature should remain constant, but take into consideration outside and cab conditions that may need compensating to make it comfortable. If this is not the case I would let Honda look at it.. If they do, and find no problem.. let them show you in another RL that what you have is normal, as sometimes they avoid fixing things and making people live with problems... most cost effective for them to do that

·
Registered
626 Posts
TheRidgester said:
I am not sure if you have the digital Heat & A/C control... the digital takes time depending on temperatures to become stable and comfortable. It does try to bring it to the setpoint quickly causing (what I think) excessive fan speed, but is easily adjustable by slowing down the fan.
This is one reason I went with remote start. Today 20 degrees outside, started the truck 5 minutes before I left and with the auto a/c on and all was perfect.
Once your truck reaches normal temperatures, the temperature should remain constant, but take into consideration outside and cab conditions that may need compensating to make it comfortable. If this is not the case I would let Honda look at it.. If they do, and find no problem.. let them show you in another RL that what you have is normal, as sometimes they avoid fixing things and making people live with problems... most cost effective for them to do that
The RTS has the same digital (automatic) controls as the RTL; it's only the RT that has the all-manual system.

That being said, maybe speardriver does have a problem with the heating system in his truck -- in which case, I'd say take to the dealer, since no one else seems to be having a problem!

·
Registered
302 Posts
I am having problems, too, using the heater for the first time really since acquiring the Ridge 1st week of March. Today it was 55degF here (cold!), but sunny, and I had the Ridge on Auto, it kept blasting hot air out at me. Dial the temp back, dial back, dial back, still hot air. Turn the damn thing off. Try just touching "Mode", finally get some cool air coming out. Fiddle with Mode--can't see the icons worth a damn. Twiddle the temp knob, put it on Lo and gradually dial it back up. Finally got it to where it was comfortable.

For my money the heating control (as with the rest of the instrumentation & electronics) sucks, big-time. Auto does not seem to work "at all". Guess we will ask the dealer about it when we take it in for an oil change.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
I couldn't be happier with mine. There are no hot or cold spots and it maintains the temperature(s) perfectly. I do use auto most of the time. I also do not have any issues with feet getting cold as someone else reported. My wife would be the first to complain about that.

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
laserfan said:
I am having problems, too, using the heater for the first time really since acquiring the Ridge 1st week of March. Today it was 55degF here (cold!), but sunny, and I had the Ridge on Auto, it kept blasting hot air out at me. Dial the temp back, dial back, dial back, still hot air. Turn the damn thing off. Try just touching "Mode", finally get some cool air coming out. Fiddle with Mode--can't see the icons worth a damn. Twiddle the temp knob, put it on Lo and gradually dial it back up. Finally got it to where it was comfortable.

For my money the heating control (as with the rest of the instrumentation & electronics) sucks, big-time. Auto does not seem to work "at all". Guess we will ask the dealer about it when we take it in for an oil change.
The system does start blowing hot air out to warm the cabin quicker, then the temperature coming from the vents will cool to more closely match the temperature you set. Otherwise it would take forever to warm up. I usually start with mine at 68 to 70 in the morning, then gradually go up to 72 or 74 once the cabin gets up close to where I want it. This lets the cabin warm quickly without burning me out.

·
Registered
423 Posts
I have heating problems too. I will start the truck maybe 10-15 minutes before leaving in the morning, and leave it set to 72. I then find I have to change it to 65 or less when driving, or it burns me out of the truck! I generally lift up the sunroof to get rid of the excess heat. Even at 65, it's still too hot.

I've had other vehicles with climate control, and always ran them comfortably at 72. This has got to be a problem with my ridge.

I guess it's time to call the dealer.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Yes, I'm using Auto.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Wow, LexRidge, I wish I had even a wild guess for you. There have been several people reporting the same or similar problems as you are having so there must be something in common. At the same time I and most others do not have any problems. For what it's worth, I do not have the dash vents directed directly at me. They are directed around me so I do not feel the outlet temperature unless I do it intentionally. The cab heats up faster than any other vehicle that I have owned and maintains that temperature until I reset it. I usually have it set for 70 ~ 72 degrees and forget it unless the defroster is needed. My wife usually cranks her side up by as much as 10 degrees. That does affect the fan speed but not my comfort. I am afraid that when she does that we will have our own little cloud form between us and it will start to rain!:rolleyes: I don't know if any of that helps you or not but maybe it can help to isolate any differences.
Anyway, I hope that they find something simple for you and the others and can get it working satisfactorily for you quickly. Maybe something like an electrical connector not seated correctly or a loose vacuum line. I am curious about what they find. Good luck.:)

·
Registered
302 Posts
LeXRidge said:
...I've had other vehicles with climate control, and always ran them comfortably at 72...
Our issue is consistent with your own. Maybe there is hope that we simply have something mis-wired as Ultra-HOG suggested.

Since we have had Zero issues with our Ridge (since delivery early March--very first at our dealer), and I do mean NONE, we have written this off as a design problem ala the infamous All Door Unlock issue. Of course, it has been hotter than Hades here right up to a couple weeks ago so we are noticing the heater thing for the first time.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts