Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Some pics of the weekend project of building a sidewalk . Not sure of the exact weight but it was alot.

It had 1 yard of 3/4 road gravel
(2 big scoops from loader)
And 13 pressure treated garden ties.

I felt like a low rider because the hood was definitely up lol.

Braking is strong in this truck . Seemed almost unaffected by this weight.

Handling was good, but noticeable in corners.

Shocks did not bottom out and there was no rub at all. When I went to home Depot for some nails I did notice going over the speed bumps the rear shocks were almost maxed but it still handled and rebounded smoothly .

I owned the first gen Ridgeline and had a similar load with gravel and a large travel trailer .

I can tell the second gen was improved over my earlier model. It really handled this like it was nothing .

Just wanted to share if anyone was curious how these Ridgeline perform under very heavy loads.(y)

Attachments

Registered
2019 RTL-E (white on beige) in central Texas
It had 2 yards of 3/4 road gravel
Um, sorry, not even close.

2 yards of material is 54cu ft; the G2 Honda bed capacity (filled flush to the top rail) is a tad under 34cu ft; your pics show lots of that capacity is not filled with 'road gravel'.

Take it from an old construction manager .... a yard of 3/4" gravel weighs well over 2000#; 'road material' (with 'fines' filling the void between the gravel stones) even more. You didn't have over 4000# in your RL (thankfully), waaay under 2 yards, no matter what you got charged for.

Registered
2007 RTL Steel Blue
Still a nice haul. The most I've had in my 1G is 1/2yr drainage rock..with me, maxes out the payload. Made me truly appreciate that swinging tailgate.

Super Moderator
Yeah, 1/2 yard. I just had 1 yard of mulch on my utility trailer. It was twice yours.

Steve

Registered
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Sorry guys I typed wrong. I meant to type 1 yard at 2 scoops of 1/2 yard each.

And yes that for sure is 2 scoops under there of 1/2 yard each. I watched him load it. I had done one load before this with only 1 scoop to test the trucks handling and knew I could try 2.

He did one scoop from left side of truck and the other from from the right side so the corners would absorb some and not pile up in the middle or one corner of the box.

I would not do more then 2 though. Handling was affected as much as I feel comfortable.

Anyways I didn't post it to start a dick measuring contest. I'm sure many here have pushed their trucks more then I have by far.

I Posted this to help potential buyers of the truck to show them the truck can handle diy jobs for almost anything you need, and I bigger truck is not required.

But I would love to see some of these heavy loads others have spoke of.

Registered
2019 RTL-T Forest Mist Metallic
I've had 1500 lbs of feed in the back of my truck, and it wasn't sagging nearly that much. That is indeed a heavy load.

Premium Member
I had 160 gold bars in my bed yesterday and it did not even sag! 馃槒馃槣馃槈

Registered

2 yards of material is 54cu ft; the G2 Honda bed capacity (filled flush to the top rail) is a tad under 34cu ft; your pics show lots of that capacity is not filled with 'road gravel'.

Take it from an old construction manager .... a yard of 3/4" gravel weighs well over 2000#; 'road material' (with 'fines' filling the void between the gravel stones) even more. You didn't have over 4000# in your RL (thankfully), waaay under 2 yards, no matter what you got charged for.
Great reply.

Registered
Some pics of the weekend project of building a sidewalk . Not sure of the exact weight but it was alot.

It had 1 yard of 3/4 road gravel
(2 big scoops from loader)
And 13 pressure treated garden ties.

I felt like a low rider because the hood was definitely up lol.

Braking is strong in this truck . Seemed almost unaffected by this weight.

Handling was good, but noticeable in corners.

Shocks did not bottom out and there was no rub at all. When I went to home Depot for some nails I did notice going over the speed bumps the rear shocks were almost maxed but it still handled and rebounded smoothly .

I owned the first gen Ridgeline and had a similar load with gravel and a large travel trailer .

I can tell the second gen was improved over my earlier model. It really handled this like it was nothing .

Just wanted to share if anyone was curious how these Ridgeline perform under very heavy loads.(y)
My MAX Load, and it WAS Maximum, was just over 2,000 lbs weighed at the dump, as they do for charging, weigh in weigh out... I did a complete bathroom remodel, laid a full sheet of plywood on the floor of the bed (on 2xs to keep it off the tailgate), 2 on the sides, and ultimately a custom cut across the back and loaded it up... a 4x4x8 foot box of bathroom parts... A Low-Rider Ridgeline... I was working 2 miles from the dump station, other wise I would have never done it...

Registered

He said "2 scoops, 1 yard"... I just measured my closed 1st gen bed... 54x57x16... 1 yard filled flush to the tailgate... is the second gen bigger? I hauled just over 2,000 lbs in my 1st gen to the dump, weigh in weigh out... His story is plausible...
My load was in a nice, but make-shift 4x4x8 foot box, So I rode lower than him, but it was fine for the 2 miles I had to drive to the dump station... If the trip was longer, I wouldn't have done it...

Registered
2019 RTL-E (white on beige) in central Texas
He said "2 scoops, 1 yard"
The OP was edited / corrected after I made my post (see true and correct quote of the original un-edited post in my post #3 above); as originally posted the scenario was not plausible.

My G2 measures:
59-7/8" wide at top rail
59-1/2" long inside top of tailgate to inside front top rail
16-3/4" floor to top if rail (uniform all around)

Arithmetic using those numbers yields:
34.5 cu ft (~coincides with published spec)
1.279 cu yd

So, yes, using 'our measurements' for the bed volume level to the top of the tailgate, the G2 is larger than the G1 by ~6 cu ft.

BTW, the width and length differences 'we' measured correspond closely to the difference referenced in the G2 Press Kit (+5.5" width; +3.9" length; though the volume difference is not mentioned).

Registered
Anyways I didn't post it to start a dick measuring contest. I'm sure many here have pushed their trucks more then I have by far.
Don't get all mad because my load is bigger then your load.

/s ;)

I had red pavers level to the bed sides in my g1 with about 2/3 rows level with the middle of rear window. If i posted that picture I would probably be castrated by the safety police. But yes these trucks are very capable.

Registered
2019 RTL-T Forest Mist Metallic
The OP was edited / corrected after I made my post (see true and correct quote of the original un-edited post in my post #3 above); as originally posted the scenario was not plausible.

My G2 measures:
59-7/8" wide at top rail
59-1/2" long inside top of tailgate to inside front top rail
16-3/4" floor to top if rail (uniform all around)

Arithmetic using those numbers yields:
34.5 cu ft (~coincides with published spec)
1.279 cu yd

So, yes, using 'our measurements' for the bed volume level to the top of the tailgate, the G2 is larger than the G1 by ~6 cu ft.

BTW, the width and length differences 'we' measured correspond closely to the difference referenced in the G2 Press Kit (+5.5" width; +3.9" length; though the volume difference is not mentioned).
I agree with Centex math :)
Google tells me that a yard of gravel weighs 2200 lbs.
I think it is reasonable by the pictures to say that he had half a yard (less than half full) so that is about 1100 lbs plus the weight of the lumber ( a couple hundred pounds more? hard to tell). Regardless he was probably near, but under the payload capacity.
As I posted earlier, I have had 1500 lbs in grain in my bed (30 fifty pound bags, even I can do that math!)
It seemed like my 1500 pound load sagged less than the OPs pictures but it might just be the picture angle -hard to judge.
Or as was mentioned above, if the gravel had a high content of gold, or lead, that would significantly increase the weight.

Registered
I deleted the pics of the rocks I picked up... Future warranty issues avoided...;)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts