Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We turned in our 300S AWD lease and picked this pristine 2016 Hellcat from a good friend in Ohio. He wasn't planning on selling it till we called 2 weeks ago. Two long 670 miles days and we were home with it a week ago today. This is my daily driver till winter. The ultimate sleeper car. Huge back seat and a 16.5 CF trunk.

I've never heard a stock exhaust note like a Hellcat in my life! 10K miles at pick up. If you didn't know the year, you'd think you were buying a new car. It's pristine with the original tires still on it, albeit getting close on the back end. Just for the heck of it on the 1st tank back from the Akron area, I babied it as far as my foot goes. Running 7 over at 77 MPH for most of the tank and then 82 MPH for about 100 miles, I got a calculated 23.7 MPG. I find that amazing! Putting my foot in it some for the rest of the ride, I still got 23.1. 180 of those miles were at 72 MPH in the UP. I would bet a meal after running another tank through it since, and hammering it multiple times, this Cat would easily get 24 and maybe 25 or 26 if it was humanly possible to run a whole tank through at 62 MPH. The speed limit is 55 everywhere within an hour of here. I got a calculated 16.94 on the 'experimenting' tank.

So much for trying for some MPG numbers, there's work to be done on the tires :giggle: The MPG pic was just before I popped it up to 82 when the speed limit changed to 75 north of Flint. The reading is ambitious, but after a couple more tanks, not nearly as ambitious as our G2 RL. The 16.94 tank was .4 MPG off the display

·
Super Moderator
5,356 Posts
I am not a muscle car kind of guy, but your Hellcat certainly does look pristine. It is obvious it has been a garage queen for most of its life. Good find!! We will be waiting for a cold start video with sound.

Reactions: Steve70

·
Premium Member
2010 RT - Bali Blue
3,734 Posts
I used to be very thrilled about the Hellcat, then realized the capabilities of it and it was lack luster to me after. Red is my least favorite color, but love the metallic grey that it comes in. I do admire the brake package on these cars.
However, when I saw the Track Hawk, I was in awe. It is surely something that I wont mind driving for a bit. Reliability, operating cost and serviceability may deter me from owing one long term, but at least the Track Hawk is on a newer chassis, than the Charger & Challengers.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
I have looked at the Challenger version with the manual. It's tempting. A manual is a requirement for me. I've done the ZL1 vs GT350 vs Hellcat eval for months now.

Congrats on the new ride.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I used to be very thrilled about the Hellcat, then realized the capabilities of it and it was lack luster to me after. Red is my least favorite color, but love the metallic grey that it comes in. I do admire the brake package on these cars.
However, when I saw the Track Hawk, I was in awe. It is surely something that I wont mind driving for a bit. Reliability, operating cost and serviceability may deter me from owing one long term, but at least the Track Hawk is on a newer chassis, than the Charger & Challengers.

To each his own. We've only ever had one other red car, but this has grown on us both. I'm not sure what the Trackhawk can do that a Hellcat can't do on the street? You can't be talking about off road? :) If you're talking track stuff, I have 155K Viper miles under my belt with lots of road course time on several tracks on our twin screw SC GEN 2. (700HP/750TQ/2.4L blower...123K miles from factory pick up in 2000) We also have a GEN 5 Viper. The other thing is that at 68 and 72 years of age, we're not ready for the SUV route yet on the daily driver ride. :giggle: The Hellcat crosses all the 'Ts' for us at this time! Looks like we'll save some fuel dollars as well to put towards some new rear skins every now and again.

That being said, enjoy the Trackhawk! (y)

·
Administrator
14,918 Posts
The first time I drove a Hellcat, I thought it felt and sounded brutal when pushed, but was surprised at how comfortable it was as a daily driver when driven gently. I didn't care for the lack of grip and felt it needed AWD to be "perfect". Then, I drove the Trackhawk. Problem solved! :)

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have looked at the Challenger version with the manual. It's tempting. A manual is a requirement for me. I've done the ZL1 vs GT350 vs Hellcat eval for months now.

Congrats on the new ride.
Thanks! We've got the big power manuals. Happy to have the 8 speed auto in this one. I believe 160 millisecond shifts in track mode. The Hellcats are heavy rides. The GT350 would be much sportier I would guess? I don't care as much for the ZL1, but they're all nice. Good luck

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The first time I drove a Hellcat, I thought it felt and sounded brutal when pushed, but was surprised at how comfortable it was as a daily driver when driven gently. I didn't care for the lack of grip and felt it needed AWD to be "perfect". Then, I drove the Trackhawk. Problem solved! :)
I'm still sorting out the power, but getting used to it. I completely agree about tires. They should have tubbed it a tad and added some rubber. Another 700 pounds of weight in the Trackhawk detracts from performance. The traction limited Hellcats appear to beat the Trackhawk across the board. Given we have other really fast cars, we only need this to do just what we bought it for. Golf course, groceries, a little touring, and keeping the rubber companies in business :giggle:

·
Administrator
14,918 Posts
Happy to have the 8 speed auto in this one. I believe 160 millisecond shifts in track mode. The Hellcats are heavy rides. The GT350 would be much sportier I would guess? I don't care as much for the ZL1, but they're all nice. Good luck
That ZF 8HP is a fine transmission. It's too bad the ZF 9HP is the polar opposite. :)

I'm still sorting out the power, but getting used to it. I completely agree about tires. They should have tubbed it a tad and added some rubber. Another 700 pounds of weight in the Trackhawk detracts from performance. The traction limited Hellcats appear to beat the Trackhawk across the board. Given we have other really fast cars, we only need this to do just what we bought it for. Golf course, groceries, a little touring, and keeping the rubber companies in business :giggle:
While I like steering with the rear wheels sometimes, I appreciate the ability to keep the Trackhawk's accelerator pedal planted around a corner and not end up with the wrong end facing forward. ;)

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Congrats, I guess the attention it draws you won't mind as you've had Vipers. Those cars are quite popular around here. I think most of them are the V6, even the Troopers use the V6 AWD model around here. I was researching the R/T as an Accord replacement. Would like to have one of the last V8's either in a pickup or a sedan before my driving days are over.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That ZF 8HP is a fine transmission. It's too bad the ZF 9HP is the polar opposite. :)

Agree. The reading says this 8 speed is beefed up about 30%. I like the rev matching. So far it seems like the programming is spot on for most all one would want to do. I only have about 900 miles so far so much more fun to have!

While I like steering with the rear wheels sometimes, I appreciate the ability to keep the Trackhawk's accelerator pedal planted around a corner and not end up with the wrong end facing forward. ;)
Given the track numbers all favor the RWD...and that I just saw a pic of the 5400 pound Trackhawk up on two wheels, I'll stick with what I got. I will say props to the JEEP engineers for being to coax what they did out of a vehicle 10 inches taller than the Hellcat.

How do I post a video clip with sound?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
2010 RT - Bali Blue
3,734 Posts
Majority of the people who buy these high power vehicles are wallet stout; not much in the skill department. Someone like you who has the acquired skills would be able to enjoy it very much.
Someone like me, who has neither such skill or the commitment, something like a Track Hawk with the AWD, provides a safety margin, when a mistake is made. Offloading is not my thing.

I was watching a Youtube video, or a series I should say, of someone who took this and transplanted it to the body of a Magnum. Though I liked the idea of the Magnum, seeing something like that, with this much power and AWD would be nice. I am sure you will enjoy it during the summer months, esp depending on where you live you may even have much longer seasons to enjoy it.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Congrats, I guess the attention it draws you won't mind as you've had Vipers. Those cars are quite popular around here. I think most of them are the V6, even the Troopers use the V6 AWD model around here. I was researching the R/T as an Accord replacement. Would like to have one of the last V8's either in a pickup or a sedan before my driving days are over.
Thanks! The 300S AWD we just turned in on lease was an excellent car and engine! I actually preferred the RWD bias AWD to the RL in snow and ice. Much more natural for me. I would have leased / bought another 300 if there was anything close to a good deal to have. We almost bought the 300 at residual ..until my beautiful bride said while taking our daily walk on 6/15: "Why don't you see if Bill will sell his Charger" Something I had never even thought of before. I called him an hour later. He wasn't planning on selling, but said he'd get back to me that day. The rest is history.

We're livin in the moment while we can. Life can spin on a dime! It just did these last many months now.

Majority of the people who buy these high power vehicles are wallet stout; not much in the skill department. Someone like you who has the acquired skills would be able to enjoy it very much.
Someone like me, who has neither such skill or the commitment, something like a Track Hawk with the AWD, provides a safety margin, when a mistake is made. Offloading is not my thing.

I was watching a Youtube video, or a series I should say, of someone who took this and transplanted it to the body of a Magnum. Though I liked the idea of the Magnum, seeing something like that, with this much power and AWD would be nice. I am sure you will enjoy it during the summer months, esp depending on where you live you may even have much longer seasons to enjoy it.

Thanks Smufguy! Everyone is different. I hope the Trackhawk checks every box you want it too! I know it checks the blow your hair back part :)

I am not a muscle car kind of guy, but your Hellcat certainly does look pristine. It is obvious it has been a garage queen for most of its life. Good find!! We will be waiting for a cold start video with sound.
This was taken on cold start up when we got to his garage in Ohio

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Thanks! We've got the big power manuals. Happy to have the 8 speed auto in this one. I believe 160 millisecond shifts in track mode. The Hellcats are heavy rides. The GT350 would be much sportier I would guess? I don't care as much for the ZL1, but they're all nice. Good luck
I don’t care for the ZL1 looks or poor visibility. The GT350 engine, the Voodoo, is a known issue. Too many blowing up (valvetrain still an issue on 2020’s) up. If it ain’t reliable it ain’t worth it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts