Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy, new member here and a new owner of two weeks. I had an opportunity to take my new ride through the mud and fields durring a hunting trip with my son. I was pleased with the Ridgelines performance and had no problems. My 14 year old son took a turn at the wheel in the mud and did just fine. I really can't say enough about how impressed I am with the engineering and features. This is my first Honda and it won't be the last.
I do have a concern/question about the trucks penchant for gathering weeds,sticks and grass in the under carriage. I noticed clumps of everything we drove over packed into numerous spots under the engine and around the suspension including the heat shield over the catalytic converter. Doesn't that thing get hot enough to ignite dry grass? We noticed the built-up debris while cleaning off the truck and fortunately it was raining so the debris remained wet while driving home.
This forum was a great influenenceto my purchase and provided more information then any of the sales-guys I spoke to--- thanks to all.

·
Registered
964 Posts
I can't really answer your question, but I did want to welcome you to a great forum and congratulations on owning a GREAT truck :)

·
Premium Member
1,554 Posts
Gr8wheels said:
Howdy, new member here and a new owner of two weeks. I had an opportunity to take my new ride through the mud and fields durring a hunting trip with my son. I was pleased with the Ridgelines performance and had no problems. My 14 year old son took a turn at the wheel in the mud and did just fine. I really can't say enough about how impressed I am with the engineering and features. This is my first Honda and it won't be the last.
I do have a concern/question about the trucks penchant for gathering weeds,sticks and grass in the under carriage. I noticed clumps of everything we drove over packed into numerous spots under the engine and around the suspension including the heat shield over the catalytic converter. Doesn't that thing get hot enough to ignite dry grass? We noticed the built-up debris while cleaning off the truck and fortunately it was raining so the debris remained wet while driving home.
This forum was a great influenenceto my purchase and provided more information then any of the sales-guys I spoke to--- thanks to all.
Welcome Gr8wheels, love your username. Describes the Ridgeline perfectly.
Sounds like you had great fun in the mud. I won’t even drive in the rain cause I don’t even want to get my RL dirty. :D Just kidding, not much rain here in So. Cal.

Yes, the catalytic converter gets quite hot. I haven’t really looked under my truck much yet but you mentioned a catalytic shield. That will help but not if dry grass gets between it and the converter.

My wife worked with a women that had just bought a new Cadillac. While driving on the freeway an idiot lost a mattress out of his truck right in front of her.
You guessed it, she drove over it and got stuck on top of it and her Cadillac burnt to the ground.
I would be careful stopping in any tall dry grass.

Have fun with your great purcahse.

Joe

·
Premium Member
5,392 Posts
Welcome to the forum. We're glad to have you here. We've done some dirt road travel, but nothing through enough vegetation to pick up anything. We got to tow tire track dirt roads with weeds and flowers growing in the center, but they were not tall. We have a strict policy about not going off road and leaving tracks.

I think your concerns are valid and Joe Ridg's cautionary tale is a good one to remember.

I want to invite you to swing by the following thread to give more of our regular members a chance to offer you a proper welcome.

http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2743

·
Registered
333 Posts
Gr8wheels said:
I do have a concern/question about the trucks penchant for gathering weeds,sticks and grass in the under carriage. I noticed clumps of everything we drove over packed into numerous spots under the engine and around the suspension including the heat shield over the catalytic converter. Doesn't that thing get hot enough to ignite dry grass?
Reminds me of driving truck during wheat harvest when I was a kid. In good years, the stubble after cutting was quite tall, and I was constantly reminded to a) don't stop in the tall stubble, and b) every time you do stop, get out and pull the straw away from the muffler and exhaust pipe. Many times, we stopped cutting to rush off to a wheat fire we could see several miles away. Always carried a shovel.

So, yeah, it can be a problem, even without cat converters in those days. Thanks for the heads up, I have been wondering what the underside looks like... I notice as I walk up to the RL there seems to be an inordinate amount of stuff 'hanging', small hoses and such.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Welcome aboard Gr8wheels! You make a good point about the stuff getting stuck in places that could cause trouble. It does make good sense to check the underside after driving in those conditions. The others that pointed out about parking over flammable debris makes a lot of sense, something that seems to be lacking in far too many people these days. Most people will recall that it has been in every owners manual for the past 25 years! Earlier this week there was a story in the paper about a teacher that arrived at school only to find that there was a large pile of leaves in the street in her favorite parking spot. The leaves were gathered there so the town leaf truck could suck them up for disposal (composting actually). She pulled right into 'her' parking spot anyway. Pretty obvious where the story ends, isn't it? The picture in the paper shows the burned out hulk of her minivan. Gee, I never would have thought that leaves could cause such a big fire.......

·
Green With Envy Moderator
2,346 Posts
Welcome to the club and congratulations on your new truck.

I went through some deep mud a while back and ws amazed at how much got in various places. It took me awhile to get all of that mud out of the nooks and crannies of the undercarriage.

·
Premium Member
6,881 Posts
Gr8wheels said:
May I suggest a high pressure washer for use on the undercarriage. Be extra careful around the CV joints and trans/rear diff seals though.:)

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
There was a lively discussion in the forum many months ago about this exact topic and some members going out and trying to build there own undercarriage brush guards to prevent this "baggage" from accumulating. Something about the engine mounts needing to break and release the engine in a front end collision and that would not allow placement of a fixed undercarriage guard.

·
Registered
3,179 Posts
Gr8wheels - I also drive mine off road a bunch and I do check mine a lot during the dry months here in Texas as I get a lot of broomweed stuck everywhere under mine. Been lucky so far as I have not had it actually catch fire but it does give off some warning aromas that I check out very quickly.
Welcome to the forum and it sounds like you are going to use your RL like I use mine. I love the utility, it holds all the hunting & camping gear I need to haul. The bed is plenty large enough to hold ice chests, gas cans, water and feed and the trunk is perfect for my tools, recovery/tow straps and other "just in case" items.
Lots of great info here on the ROC forums, hope you enjoy it and your new ride.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts