Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to buy a Ridgeline RTL. I'm in a 2003 Pilot now, with almost 200k miles (198k and counting). I bought my Pilot in 2010 with 137k miles. It has held up well and I expect someone will be able to squeeze another 50k to 100k miles out of it. I like the look of the RL and the utility of having a small truck. I'm hoping a Ridgeline will last at least 200k like my Pilot. I'm not afraid of driving a Honda from 100k to 200k.

I found this site while researching used models. I am interested in learning about quirks to look for and be prepared for as well as cost of ownership type things. I'm also looking for real world experiences regarding reliability and longevity. I understand that there are no guarantees, much depends on care and maintenance over the life of the vehicle, and Your Mileage May Vary (etc. etc.).

I'm limiting my search to RTL models only. (I really want the heated seats, which my Pilot lacks.) Pricing seems to be all over the place. I'm hoping to find a great deal after the '17's come out and folks start trading up.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
I'm looking to buy a Ridgeline RTL. I'm in a 2003 Pilot now, with almost 200k miles (198k and counting). I bought my Pilot in 2010 with 137k miles. It has held up well and I expect someone will be able to squeeze another 50k to 100k miles out of it. I like the look of the RL and the utility of having a small truck. I'm hoping a Ridgeline will last at least 200k like my Pilot. I'm not afraid of driving a Honda from 100k to 200k.

I found this site while researching used models. I am interested in learning about quirks to look for and be prepared for as well as cost of ownership type things. I'm also looking for real world experiences regarding reliability and longevity. I understand that there are no guarantees, much depends on care and maintenance over the life of the vehicle, and Your Mileage May Vary (etc. etc.).

I'm limiting my search to RTL models only. (I really want the heated seats, which my Pilot lacks.) Pricing seems to be all over the place. I'm hoping to find a great deal after the '17's come out and folks start trading up.
Welcome. The first thing to be aware of is ALL Ridgelines are now subject to a nationwide recall, and Honda dealers have been prohibited from selling one unless it has been fixed (airbag) or they become liable for any potential injuries/deaths. This means you will be dealing with independent used car dealers or individuals. The 17's will be out before the Gen 1's are fixed. You may be able to use this to your advantage when negotiating if the airbag doesn't immediately concern you. It is fairly safe to say that very few Ridgelines (RL) as a percent of the total will be fixed when the 17's hit.

All RL from all years have essentially the same running gear (a slight update was done in 2009). Common problems can be found in other parts of the forum (tranny connection to radiator, spark plugs loose). The most important thing is to find one that has been maintained to factory specs. Then the truck will perform like you want it to. Ridgelines are particularly happy with regular fluid changes which includes the rear differential.

RTL's all have leather (I think). They have the upgrade audio system which is antique by today's standards. They tend to have moon-roof and may have the NAV system. These items have their own unique positives and failure modes. Most of us report build-quality suffers in the later model years but most of this is fit and finish stuff and does not seem to affect operational longevity.

If you can find a RL that has been properly maintained, it will serve you well. and you can get the airbag fixed at your own convenience.

·
Registered
979 Posts
Welcome to the ROC! Be aware of the airbag recall as mentioned above. Lots of good information on this forum regarding known issues/problem areas to be aware of if you start looking into specific model year/mileage RLs. Good luck with your search!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts