Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I have been lurking here for over a year, and I finally pulled the trigger on my "new to me Ridgeline". I heard that these trucks were buletproof, and most reviews seem to support that. I purchased a 2008 RTS, 80k milkes, White body , Tan cloth interior with roofrack and afetrmarket moonroof. The vehicle is beautiful and I am exited.
My initial complaints are the tan seats, and how bad they stain, a slight whistle when going 47 - 50 mph, and a cycling sound when shifting into reverse. These items dont bother me too bad.....However, my excitement was short lived, I ran into an issue today, and need help.

We have had a lot of rain and I was surprized to find a leak in the interior of the vehicle. I checked the forum, and I cant seem to find the exact issue.

My Ridge is wet around the perimiter of the headliner, all sides. Its not dripping, but if I push on it, I get water spillage. There is no water on the floor anywhere. Both front seatbelts are wet. ...I checked the sunroof, and all drains are clear (It was professionally installed and it it not leaking from there..totally dry around it. It seems to be originating from right rear above the rear airbag in the pillar (C). I wanted to take teh 3rd brake light panel off, but Im scared I wont be able to get it back on, and I do not have the clips that are needed. Any Advice on where to look. I sooo want to love this truck, but is hard when dealing with problems right off the bat.
Thanks in advance for any help.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I would still suspect the sunroof first. I had a Ford Explorer with a factory installed sunroof and it started leaking after about 5 years. It got the headliner (and me) wet like you mentioned. The sunroof needed a new seal installed.

If not that, was an aftermarket antenna installed on the roof? Another potential spot might be the center mounted brake light. It doesn't seem likely that bad seals around the doors would cause the problem but that's another place to look. Of course there is also the seal around the back window. But, the doors and back window are below the headliner. Was your truck parked on a steep hill?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The truck was parked on a slight decline (Rear was slightly higher). Which is why I suspect the rear brake light panel. I searched everywhere around the monnroof, and while there were water droplets in the gutter, no major water anywhere around the seal. All of the water was around the perimeter of the headliner. I know that water travels strangeley, and its hard to determine where exactly, but I cant see it traveleing from the moonroof to the edge without coleecting somewhere in the center. I will try to take pics later. I was searching for some pics of the ridge with teh brake light panel removed, but I have had no such luck.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I found some other information...and if this should be put in another thread, please let me know. I viewed many images, trying to determine the source. The headliner is lowest at all the edges, and this is exactly where teh water is. I have not ruled out the sunroof drains, as this could be an issue with the gutter holding water. Is there any quick way to make sure these draines are clear? Compressed air, wire etc... I also suspect the brake light, and the c pillar sealant. Its funny that the previous owner never had an issue. He only put 4000 miles on it in two years...sat in garage most of the time. I still think he had to get rained on at some point??? If anyone has any other ideas, please feel free to let me know.

·
Premium Member
2,183 Posts
Congrats on your RL and welcome to the ROC!

While reading your original post, I had the same thoughts as others...sunroof, brake light or antenna leak. If you have a roof rack, check that too.

Check the sunroof for the whistle as well as roof rack (if you got one) and antenna.

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Welcome to the club.

Here are some shots showing what is under the roof valence. There are openings for the brake light wiring and antenna just left of center. Grommets fill the other openings pretty snuggly. Other seams are welded.

There were problems with leaks in the first couple years of production, but I don't remember the details. You can do a search if you haven't already.

Left...
Middle...
Right.

Attachments

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I moved this problem to the appropriate category... View "Headliner wet around edges" in the problems section.
Thanks for the help.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts