Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Howdy, Folks.

I joined because I'm thinking pretty seriously about buying a used Ridgeline, and I want to know the good, the bad, and the ugly, before I dive in.

Any friendly links to existing posts would be appreciated. I'm particularly interested in known problems. I read vertrkr's buying guide, and while I appreciate the exhaustive list, I'm way more concerned about engine failure, tranny failure, body rot, etc. than I am about stereo system issues.

Cheers,
Vlach

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
# 4 cylinder, tranny failure due to bad radiator come to mind. Proper maintenance is key including rad replacement for prevention and timing belt and water pump replacement at interval maintenance schedule. Maintenance on fluids is important and Honda fluid replacement can be an important factor for tranny, and diff fluids. Do a search on these subjects and you will get most of your concerns. The ridge is not known as a rust bucket unless it's exposed to extreme rusting conditions like any other vehicle would react in same.

J

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Heh...:act029: I wonder if Jonesy was having fun with me? The "radiator" search turned up 2,600 hits. Still, I read through a bunch of pages, and I feel much better equipped. If I buy a Ridgeline, I'll check to see if an aftermarket radiator was installed right off the bat.

I wonder if there's a way to tell if damage was already done? Could the tranny be compromised but still shifting smoothly?

I'd already read about the #4 cylinder issues, and I think I'm hearing that the problem was limited to a quantiy of '06 and perhaps '07 models. Does anyone know if the range has been dialed in to, for instance, a specific range of VINs? Or, conversely, has the apparent range grown as more '08 & '09 models have been on the road for long enough to manifest problems?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Welcome - I just recently purchased a 2008 RTL/Nav. This is my second 08 RTL. The first was replaced (company vehicle) after 3 years & 135k miles. During that time I had zero issues, in fact i got 92k miles on the factory Michelin tires. I have since left that company and needed to purchase a vehicle to replace the 4 runner they had me driving and immediately looked for a Ridgeline. Decided on an 08 with the same package I had before (just less miles) while waiting to see the gen2 models.

If you can find a clean 1 owner with a good service history and you cant go wrong.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I just recently purchased my 2007 RTL in Nimbus Gray. It is in great shape with only 61K miles and looks and rides like new!

I enjoy driving it and actually look forward to going to work since it gives me the opportunity to take it for a spin. No long trips yet but I am sure that it will perform. First tank of gas was 17.1 miles per gallon.

I really like this truck!

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
The radiator issue seems to be way more pronounced if you are located in a salt environment (snow, shore).

I think the earlier models (especially 2006) are part of the Takata airbag recall.

If I were looking for one, I would try to find one that has not been used to tow. I know that although I never abuse my truck, I have often towed more than the rated 5000lb. the truck always worked swell, but it has to put a strain on the mechanicals.

Look for one with the maintenance history intact. Regular fluid changes. Timing belt and water pump done at around 100k miles. We have an occasional report of people pushing this way out beyond 200k miles but I would not risk it.

My experience (I'm on my 2nd RL) is that you can expect significant maintenance to start happening from about 150k miles on. By significant I mean CV axles, struts, bushings etc. This would also be true of just about any car or truck.

This is a good solid vehicle with excellent original Honda engineering. Many report some build quality issues on the newer models (2012 up) but the vast majority of these are fit and finish or trim.

You said you didn't care but the radio reception in these trucks is crap. it is a design problem. Consider other options if you need any significant infotainment in the truck. If you find one with aftermarket equipment in it, it is probably an improvement.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts