Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

21 - 40 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
4,076 Posts
Re: Buffering

I experience this issue with my G1 (many other G1 owners as well) and Lexus. Lower the rear windows and tremendous buffering noise occurs. Apparently the aero design causes this effect and there is no solution.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Re: Buffering

I have an 2018 RTL E with sunroof. When either the sunroof is open or a window is open there is horrible buffering. Is this a common problem and is there a cure?
Yeah aerodynamics is creating high pressure and fighting to relieve it. Favorite option is to open the sliding rear window at least 1/2 way open, and it’ll take care of the pressure relief.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My wife and I was driving back from her hair appointment. She wanted some fresh air and started to lower her window when she realized the wind was messing up her hair. She put her window back up and asked me to open just the rear windows. When i did she said "what is that noise? A flat tire?" The truck was vibrating badly so i slowed down, checked the tire pressure on the instrument cluster, it was good. Feels like driving on a washboard dirt road. As I started to speed up again the noise got louder (very similar noise to a flat, flapping noise) and the truck vibration got worse. I closed the rear windows to get cab quieter to try and figure out where the noise was coming from, and the noise quit and the vibration stopped. Really? Started lowering the rear windows again, noise and vibration came back. No window visors or other modifications other than a hood protector. When windows are closed, no problems. Seems like wind turbulence but from the amount of noise and vibration, something is amiss. Anyone else experience this?

·
Registered
2018 RTL-E
635 Posts
My wife and I was driving back from her hair appointment. She wanted some fresh air and started to lower her window when she realized the wind was messing up her hair. She put her window back up and asked me to open just the rear windows. When i did she said "what is that noise? A flat tire?" The truck was vibrating badly so i slowed down, checked the tire pressure on the instrument cluster, it was good. Feels like driving on a washboard dirt road. As I started to speed up again the noise got louder (very similar noise to a flat, flapping noise) and the truck vibration got worse. I closed the rear windows to get cab quieter to try and figure out where the noise was coming from, and the noise quit and the vibration stopped. Really? Started lowering the rear windows again, noise and vibration came back. No window visors or other modifications other than a hood protector. When windows are closed, no problems. Seems like wind turbulence but from the amount of noise and vibration, something is amiss. Anyone else experience this?
I feel/hear the same thing in our Ridgeline as well as in my wife’s Lexus NX200T. Most vehicles I’ve had with rear seat and windows has done the same thing. I’m told that if you open the rear sliding window, then open a rear seat window it’s ok. I haven’t tried that, I rarely open any windows while driving.

·
Registered
788 Posts

·
Registered
1,096 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thank you for replies. I had an F150 Supercrew before this and never experienced anything more than just more road noise. Relief to know as we are going on a 10 to 11 hour trip soon.

·
Registered
155 Posts
In accord with everyone else here who note that this turbulence when opening rear windows at highway speeds is common to many new vehicles, I have the following hunch.
The turbulence could be the buffeting of outside (moving air) pushing against the static air pressure within the vehicle.
It would seem that new cars are so airtight that outside moving air is repelled instead of being sucked in as was common in our older vehicles.
This would explain why cracking the rear slider stops the turbulence. It simply releases the static pressure within the airtight vehicle.
Of course this hunch stands to be corrected by an engineer...

Attachments

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have noticed this when I open only the driver's window. Almost painful vibrations on my left ear. The vibrations go away when I open all my windows. I did not experience this on any other vehicle I owned. I've only owned two cars and now three pick up trucks. Not including my motorcycles (2) or motorhomes. (2).

·
Premium Member
339 Posts
It is just like blowing into a bottle to make it whistle. Except the frequency of resonance is way lower.

Have had multiple vehicle do the same. Most noticed when I open a sunroof with out open a window, too.

It is normal.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Same here, all of last several four door vehicles. It’s something you have to compensate by experimentation and the solution seems to differ with speed. I would suspect having a sunroof cracked open or rear slider might help.

·
Premium Member
792 Posts
Thank you for replies. I had an F150 Supercrew before this and never experienced anything more than just more road noise. Relief to know as we are going on a 10 to 11 hour trip soon.
That’s likely because the Ford was so loud all the time, you didn’t notice the resonance when you opened the rear windows. >:)

But seriously, most vehicles do this. Can be replicated by opening the moon roof, also. Some vehicles pop up a bar that breaks up the resonance; pull this bar down with your hand, and the sound will make your ears VERY uncomfortable.

Reactions: GreginJaxFL

·
Registered
155 Posts
Correct. All a matter of aerodynamics. Even a name for it: Helmholtz Resonance.
I never saw this before on any older car but my relative's newer Lexus and this Ridgeline.
Its their sophisticated aerodynamics and quoting an expert who calls it "air thump":
"Modern cars and trucks are more subject to air thump because they’re so aerodynamically efficient and well sealed against wind intrusion."

·
Registered
139 Posts
I noticed the buffeting noise when a drunk buddy had to have the window down on the return ride from a concert. Deafening noise level. After that, I ordered and installed Wind Deflectors on all four windows. There's still a little bit of noise when only one rear window is open, but now, with the wind defectors installed, I can open both rear windows for "air" without the buffeting noise or a wind storm.

21 - 40 of 73 Posts