Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

41 - 60 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
I think the small glass windows on the back doors cause a very annoying wind buffeting problem when the back windows are down. Over 45 mph and you need to open a front window.

This is the only gripe I have that I can't fix.
Try folding back the outside door mirrors and then test drive with the back windows down. I know you can't drive normally like this but the mirrors are most likely the cause.

·
Registered
15 Posts
my 04 TL does the same thing. if you crack one the front windows or vent/open sun roof (if you have RTL) it will create a vent so noise will stop. opening the rear slider window a crack made my RTS stop making wind noise.
window vent shades make this worse when installed them on my TL. have both oem window shades on both TL and Ridgeline

·
Registered
495 Posts
+1 for opening rear slider a tad. Same thing happens if sunroof is open but no other windows.

It's a truck,I'm not surprised. Heck, the back window thing impacts tons of cars across all kinds of makes and models.

·
Registered
2017 RTS White
309 Posts
First car I had with this "problem" was a 2007 CRV... down a little was ok same with all the way down but some where in the middle i got the helicopter sound effect.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have a 2 mo. old 2020 RTL-E and recently accidentally rolled down one of the rear windows instead of the front window. At over 40 mph, the vibration emitting in the cabin actually hurt my eardrums causing them to vibrate uncomfortably. Before I run to a local dealer (bought out of State) has anyone had the same experience with the rear window(s) down while the front two are up?

No vibration is felt/heard in the vehicle with all the windows up or the front two down, only the rear.

I've read some discussions about some sort of cabin noise cancelation in the Ridgeline and maybe it some sort of resonance issue with it.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Normal. You need to open additional windows to lesson the effect.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I have a 2 mo. old 2020 RTL-E and recently accidentally rolled down one of the rear windows instead of the front window. At over 40 mph, the vibration emitting in the cabin actually hurt my eardrums causing them to vibrate uncomfortably. Before I run to a local dealer (bought out of State) has anyone had the same experience with the rear window(s) down while the front two are up?

No vibration is felt/heard in the vehicle with all the windows up or the front two down, only the rear.

I've read some discussions about some sort of cabin noise cancelation in the Ridgeline and maybe it some sort of resonance issue with it.
It's just the sound of air turbulence. If you crack the front windows, crack the rear window the same amount. I guess with the shape of our trucks, air is forced in when the windows are down so the same air has to escape or you'll hear that vibrating turbulent noise. Cracking the rear windshield works too.

Sent from my LG-US996 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
4,629 Posts
It's called Helmholtz Resonance. It seems to be more prevalent on vehicles that are more aerodynamic.

Open the rear slider, if you have one, and that will help reduce the noise.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks all for replying with the cause. I suspected it was some sort of resonance and you all confirmed it. At least it saved me a trip to the dealer. I've never experienced this with another vehicles but I see others have.

I love the Ridgeline so far and having fun with it.

·
Registered
2020 RTL-E
137 Posts
This is a design trade off of achieving laminar flow over the body. Basically you can have an aerodynamic profile with windows closed or open, but not both. Naturally they chose closed because we have AC and windows are up most of the time. If you open the rear window and front's slightly it should stop.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I've personally always found tilting the sunroof (during the day I have the visor almost completely closed to block the sun but allow airflow) and opening the rear window provides more than enough moving air to keep me comfortable. But again, that's my personal experience.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
I've personally always found tilting the sunroof (during the day I have the visor almost completely closed to block the sun but allow airflow) and opening the rear window provides more than enough moving air to keep me comfortable. But again, that's my personal experience.
That sounds like a good suggestion. I am, however, afraid I'll forget to close the roof when I arrive, as I'm a little bit airheaded in that way. Have you ever done that, or are you just more attentive than me :) ?

·
Administrator
17,316 Posts
That sounds like a good suggestion. I am, however, afraid I'll forget to close the roof when I arrive, as I'm a little bit airheaded in that way. Have you ever done that, or are you just more attentive than me :) ?
You can also open the rear sliding window. Less damage is likely to occur if you forget to close it instead of the sunroof. It's too bad Honda didn't include a "back window open" warning on the 2G like they did on the 1G.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
You can also open the rear sliding window. Less damage is likely to occur if you forget to close it instead of the sunroof. It's too bad Honda didn't include a "back window open" warning on the 2G like they did on the 1G.
Actually the slider is what I pictured when he mentioned "rear window".

·
Registered
188 Posts
That's my bad, should have specified rear "sliding" window. But for me I usually remember easier to close the sunroof since I also have to close the rear sliding window, so I just use two fingers to close both simultaneously. However I have forgotten to close the sunroof before lol so it's a risk.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
That's my bad, should have specified rear "sliding" window. But for me I usually remember easier to close the sunroof since I also have to close the rear sliding window, so I just use two fingers to close both simultaneously. However I have forgotten to close the sunroof before lol so it's a risk.
Good point - that should work for me too, since I'll see the slider open & recall why it is.

41 - 60 of 73 Posts