Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

61 - 73 of 73 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,225 Posts
I have a SofTopper installed and leave my rear sliding window open all the time. I'll have to check as it rained last night.

·
Registered
16 Posts
The wind buffeting inside the cab of my 2017 RTL-T is ridiculous at any speed over 30MPH ish. We can't ride with the windows rolled down, even slightly.

Has anyone installed the Window Reflectors / Rain Guards such as from Weathertech that helped?

Thanks,

·
Registered
777 Posts
The wind buffeting inside the cab of my 2017 RTL-T is ridiculous at any speed over 30MPH ish. We can't ride with the windows rolled down, even slightly.

Has anyone installed the Window Reflectors / Rain Guards such as from Weathertech that helped?

Thanks,
I got the weathertech’s (no longer available) they help but once you lower the window past a certain drop you have to crack open one of the rears to ease the noise. No way around it.

·
Registered
523 Posts
This is pretty normal for most modern vehicles these days. Same thing happened with my 2008 Tundra. I think it's just a byproduct of optimizing the aerodynamics of the vehicle. You just need to open another window to help give the air somewhere to go so the pressure doesn't build up and release over and over again.

·
Registered
152 Posts

Thanks,
Sliding rear window helps tremendously, but I don't think that's an option on the T. Like others have said, if you can interrupt the disturbance by cracking the other windows the problem goes away. I usually crack the front windows an inch or so and then roll down the rear windows as far as I'd like to get fresh air in. No issues there. The reverse works as well.

·
Registered
139 Posts

Thanks,
FWIW- I installed these back in 2018 on my Sport AWD model. I don't have a rear window. I can roll windows down to a certain point without any cabin wind noise. Love that I can "crack" the windows without any rain coming inside too.

·
Premium Member
2018 Ridgeline RTLT in the odd 'green' shade. stock, with bed cover, I am 02nd owner
321 Posts
Yes, there is more buffeting with the RL than other cars I have had. It can drive you nuts. The only way I have found to mitigate it when it happens is to open the driver window enough until it stops. I usually have the dog in the RL and when he is in the back with the window down opening up the other back window doesn't solve the issue enough. In other cars I would just open the opposite rear window enough for the buffeting to go away. I wonder if opening the rear window on BE's and E's just a pinch solves the issue.
You have the same noise as I do; its the 'dog wind buffeting syndrome':love: My dog learned to open the power window at will. Thus on a Maine winter day, when the outside temps are circa single numbers; I am tooling down the road with most of the windows open--just so the dog can stick her nose out the window!

·
Premium Member
2018 Ridgeline RTLT in the odd 'green' shade. stock, with bed cover, I am 02nd owner
321 Posts
This is really the only irritant I have with the G2.

On my G1 I loved to have the front windows up while the rear windows and sliding rear window were open. I opened the sliding rear window also because it reduced the helmholtz resonance created by having only the two rear windows open. When I do the 3 window method in my G2 the helmholtz resonance doesn't go away, it actually sounds like it gets worse. Has anyone else experienced this? Believe me, you would notice it. It sounds like a helicopter is in the cabin with you.

The moonroof and rear sliding window open does not have the same problem and of course all windows down is not an issue either.
Thank you for the '$10.00 word' for the horrible wind noise in a automobile.

·
Premium Member
339 Posts
Almost every vehicle I have owned has caused the resonating sound with a combination of window and sunroof openings. My GL350 was the worst! It would vibrate so bad with just opening the sunroof, I feared it was going to break the windows.

·
Premium Member
321 Posts
Here is a tid bit of and on the Wind Noise from "Click & Clack, the Tappet Bros''. By their view; all autos are designed to run with the windows SHUT. The design of current autos does not factor in driving with the window open-- hence the Howling noise with an open widow.

·
Premium Member
339 Posts
Windows open at highway speeds will decrease mileage is what I have always been told.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Windows open at highway speeds will decrease mileage is what I have always been told.
I think from what I recall that switchover is generally around 40-45mph for many regular passenger type vehicles when factoring in AC. It is going to vary a bit from vehicle to vehicle depending on how efficient the air conditioning is and what your preferred settings are.

·
Premium Member
339 Posts
I think from what I recall that switchover is generally around 40-45mph for many regular passenger type vehicles when factoring in AC. It is going to vary a bit from vehicle to vehicle depending on how efficient the air conditioning is and what your preferred settings are.
You are correct, speed is a factor when it comes to gas mileage!

61 - 73 of 73 Posts