Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone.

So the key to the HR has been getting a little weak. The piece where the key and the fob come together has fractured and finally came apart.
So this happened while the wife was trying to start, of course the truck sputtered and did not engage due to separation from the module.
No big deal...I'll get a new key (by the way what the best route to go?)

The tricky thing is the headlight low-beams are no longer functioning.
We have brights in both on and flash but no low beams...any ideas?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
:act029:
So.....replaced both bulbs and everything is working perfectly.
I've just never seen both low beams go out at the exact same time in conjunction with our key breaking.

Either way....Lights fixed.

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
22,589 Posts
I stopped by my dealer today because one of our Pilot's keys plastic housing broke which prevents being able to twist the key in the ignition... or at least hinders it greatly. $70 to program another key + the cost of the key. I have them down to $90 total for a new key.

You have to bring in the vehicle and all keys (including the valet key) when they program a new key. Not sure how that process works.

·
Registered
88 Posts
It's a bit of a runaround but pretty easy to purchase an uncut key (I paid $15 for a flip key on Amazon), have it cut at the dealer (another $15) then transfer over the control buttons and RFI chip into the new key. Lots of posts here that explain the process in more detail if interested.

·
Super Moderator
22,589 Posts
Hmm. I'm thinking the transponder key needs equipment (handheld immobilizer key programmer) only the dealer/locksmith has in order to program for the specific vehicle. That's far different from programming the key fob. Or do I misunderstand what you mean?

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
I stopped by my dealer today because one of our Pilot's keys plastic housing broke which prevents being able to twist the key in the ignition... or at least hinders it greatly. $70 to program another key + the cost of the key. I have them down to $90 total for a new key.

You have to bring in the vehicle and all keys (including the valet key) when they program a new key. Not sure how that process works.
Speed, my key also broke where the key blade goes into the fob, save yourself some money, you can buy the key blank with the fob off the internet from anywhere between $10.00 up to $80.00. If you have your old key that's all you need is the empty fob, you can switch the guts from one key to the other, they DO NOT need to be reprogrammed, all you would need is to have the blade cut which pretty much any locksmith will do for around $8.00 to $10.00. If you do need to program your key fob, look on you tube, it's very easy to do and you will save yourself $80.00.

·
Super Moderator
22,589 Posts
Ok, I must be missing something here. The key fob controls the door locks, etc. It has nothing to do with the immobilizer system, right? The rfid chip is part of the key, not the fob. The immobilizer is what needs the special programming... as I understand it. I know how to program the key fob for the doors, windows, etc. But I'm of the understanding that the rfid chip has to utilize a special device to program the key to the vehicle.

That being said, I found this Youtube video how to get around the rfid chip issue:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zj_E-NIt6z4

Can most anyone cut the Honda key? Good source for blanks? I have nothing to lose on this broken key so I'm going to see if I can remove the immobilizer chip.

This blank from Amazon won't work because there's no place for the rfid chip:

Here's the p/n for the 2006 Honda Pilot EXL-RES key blank:
35111-S9V-325

The going price online is ~$35, +/-. Even on ebay. Just for the Honda blank.

The blank I need requires the block to mount the rfid chip:

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Ok, I must be missing something here. The key fob controls the door locks, etc. It has nothing to do with the immobilizer system, right? The rfid chip is part of the key, not the fob. The immobilizer is what needs the special programming... as I understand it. I know how to program the key fob for the doors, windows, etc. But I'm of the understanding that the rfid chip has to utilize a special device to program the key to the vehicle.

That being said, I found this Youtube video how to get around the rfid chip issue:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zj_E-NIt6z4

Can most anyone cut the Honda key? Good source for blanks? I have nothing to lose on this broken key so I'm going to see if I can remove the immobilizer chip.

This blank from Amazon won't work because there's no place for the rfid chip:

Here's the p/n for the 2006 Honda Pilot EXL-RES key blank:
35111-S9V-325

The going price online is ~$35, +/-. Even on ebay. Just for the Honda blank.

The blank I need requires the block to mount the rfid chip:
Speed, there are two different types of FOBs, one is for a newer model which is the one pictured from Amazon, in that particular case the immobilizer chip is in the button unit itself, you can also get the case with the section to put the immobilizer chip in, that the same kind I bought. I believe the company I purchased mine from is called Auto and Truck Lock. it was $14.95 w/free shipping.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Speed, the name of the place I got my key from is called: carandtruckremotes.com

I hope this helps you out, they have the blanks and the FOBs for all different makes and models.

·
Super Moderator
22,589 Posts
Thanks davedad. Must not be my lucky day. Here's what I find there (I need the 3 button version). They want $60 for the blank.

Edit: hold on... I just noticed this in one of the side panes. If that has a place for the rfid chip, then I can remove my rfid chip and get the key cut to match. The problem is that I can't see the interior of this blank to see if there's a place for the rfid chip.

·
Super Moderator
22,589 Posts
Update: I decided to call Car and Truck Remote and spoke with Scott there. He said they have both types there... with and without the rfid receptacle. He made a note to send me one with the rfid block and then I can move the chip and remote part over to the new case. $14.95 including shipping! Very nice!

Now I hope I won't have any trouble finding somewhere to get the key part cut! Can most any place do these funky looking keys?

Update to my update: I called my local Ace HW and they want $40 to cut the key! What the heck? He started out at $80 talking about the chip. I told him all I need is the metal cut, I'll take care of the chip. So he dropped the price to $40. That cannot be right.

Called Lowe's HW.. they cannot cut the two-sided keys either. Sheesh.

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
Update: I decided to call Car and Truck Remote and spoke with Scott there. He said they have both types there... with and without the rfid receptacle. He made a note to send me one with the rfid block and then I can move the chip and remote part over to the new case. $14.95 including shipping! Very nice!

Now I hope I won't have any trouble finding somewhere to get the key part cut! Can most any place do these funky looking keys?

Update to my update: I called my local Ace HW and they want $40 to cut the key! What the heck? He started out at $80 talking about the chip. I told him all I need is the metal cut, I'll take care of the chip. So he dropped the price to $40. That cannot be right.

Called Lowe's HW.. they cannot cut the two-sided keys either. Sheesh.
I'm guessing your dealer will cut if for less than that. Should be maybe $15-$25 MAX!!! (I'd hope for less) Try a call to your local locksmith to get a feel for a high end estimate (I bet it's less than your ACE quote).
FYI, I was going to recommend H&A ($33) for the OEM key blank, but it sounds lik you've done much better. Good luck with the cut & stuffing swap.

·
Super Moderator
22,589 Posts
The key cutting is turning into a big snafu. $65 from a local locksmith using his key blank or mine... no guarantee with my blank. I'm off to see a different locksmith in a few minutes to see if they can even cut the Honda key.

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
The key cutting is turning into a big snafu. $65 from a local locksmith using his key blank or mine... no guarantee with my blank. I'm off to see a different locksmith in a few minutes to see if they can even cut the Honda key.
Hey Speed.... I just called my local dealer, and they charge $15 just for the cutting (no programming of course). Maybe give your dealer a call??

·
Super Moderator
22,589 Posts
Certainly worth a shot! Thanks Dnick.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Speed, the dealer up here wants $20.00 to laser cut the blank, a local key shop also wants $20.00 to cut the blank, he has the blank with an empty FOB that they sell for $35.00 also, "no programming."

·
Super Moderator
22,589 Posts
Thanks davedad. I'll call my dealer and see what they will charge to just laser cut the blank.

But I don't know what you mean by no programming. The rfid chip either has to be moved from one key to another or the new key has to be programmed to work with the immobilizer system. I don't see any way around that.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Thanks davedad. I'll call my dealer and see what they will charge to just laser cut the blank.

But I don't know what you mean by no programming. The rfid chip either has to be moved from one key to another or the new key has to be programmed to work with the immobilizer system. I don't see any way around that.
No programming means they will remove the RFID chip from your existing FOB if you have it and replace it in the new key FOB therefore it does not have to be programmed. If you buy a complete Key(FOB, Buttons,RFID chip) new, you would have to have the chip for the immobilizer programmed.

·
Super Moderator
22,589 Posts
Gotcha. That part about removing the rfid chip was the missing link for me. I plan to perform surgery on my broken key and yank the rfid chip myself and transplant it to the new blank.

I called my dealer and they won't cut any key but a Honda key. $25 to cut. So I still may be out of business on this blank from carandtruckremotes.

I can't believe how much time I've put into trying to find someone to cut a stinkin' key!

·
Registered
88 Posts
Sounds like the dealer may be giving you the runaround. My dealer cut my blank for $15 in a few minutes and I read other posts where the dealer did it for free. Removing the chip and reinstalling it isn't hard. I used a small jeweler's screwdriver to pry open the compartment in the original key and then carefully pry out the chip. I then glued the chip in the new case with a small drop of gorilla glue (don't use more than that!) because the new case didn't come with a little compartment, just an area for the chip. I didn't use epoxy for fear I would never be able to get the chip out again if I had to. I just did this a couple months ago so you shouldn't have to pay more than $15 for the laser cut, but then the price may be area dependent. Let us know how it works out.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts