Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I drove my Ridgeline (2021, 4K miles) to the store recently, and within a few minutes, I see the Check Engine light illuminate and an "Emission System Problem" warning message.
I go directly to the Honda dealership and they find the following code:
P0455 - EVAP SYSTEM (VERY) LARGE LEAK DETECTED

Truck drives normal, no smells, no sign of fuel. Isolated to just the fuel vapors.
Dealership says it is running normal, no safety or mechanical issues.
Suggests driving the vehicle for a few days to see if it was an intermittent problem, as the light may go out on it's own.
They schedule a service appointment in two weeks in case the issue persists.

The service advisor said they go through a LONG list of troubleshooting/diagnosis that will likely involve them ripping apart the vehicle and screwing up something along the way.
I would strongly prefer to take care of this myself, or at least isolate the issue, to minimize their impact.

I got home from the dealership and crawled under the Ridgeline, thinking it has to be something obvious.
I can barely see the top of the fuel tank from underneath, but notice that a black plastic cover seems loose.
This black plastic piece feels like a hinged cover that protects the lines/hoses coming from the top of the fuel tank.

The loose plastic cover may have nothing to do with the problem, though I thought maybe the Evap System Hose popped off at the fuel tank, knocking the cover loose in the process.
Does this seem like a reasonable theory? Should I be looking at any other part of the system?
Should I gain access to the fuel pump? If so, are there posts on here walking me through how to do this?

·
Registered
2021 RTL-E, Lunar Silver Metallic
627 Posts
The service advisor said they go through a LONG list of troubleshooting/diagnosis that will likely involve them ripping apart the vehicle and screwing up something along the way.
I would strongly prefer to take care of this myself, or at least isolate the issue, to minimize their impact.
What a bunch of BS...is there another dealer nearby? With front-men like this, the service department does not deserve your business.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What a bunch of BS...is there another dealer nearby? With front-men like this, the service department does not deserve your business.
I should clarify...The service advisor told me they go through a long list of troubleshooting/diagnosis steps.
I determined that the techs are highly likely to screw something up along the way.

I've never taken a vehicle to the dealership and had them not mess up something while in their possession.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Smoke test?
The Honda procedure is apparently to check a bunch of other things before doing a smoke test.
In my experience this will likely result in broken clips, scratched paint/plastic, damaged trim, ect.

That's why I was hoping to at least isolate the issue myself, so they don't have to do exploratory surgery.

·
Registered
2021 RTL-E, Lunar Silver Metallic
627 Posts
You don't trust the technicians, but believe they will rely on your diagnosis? It is a new truck and needs to be serviced for the code that was read. Honda now knows your truck has a fault. Take a deep breath and take it back.

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
The Honda procedure is apparently to check a bunch of other things before doing a smoke test.
In my experience this will likely result in broken clips, scratched paint/plastic, damaged trim, ect.

That's why I was hoping to at least isolate the issue myself, so they don't have to do exploratory surgery.
Ok, maybe this could give you some direction (101 approach). IIRC on the South Main Auto videos they sometimes just tap the purge valve. The video say purge valve, vent valve or gas cap (RL must have something else).

·
Registered
2019 Sport Lunar Silver AWD
566 Posts
Large leak is the code that gets reported for loose gas caps. Notice any problems during fueling with the nozzle getting stuck in the cap less filler?

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You don't trust the technicians, but believe they will rely on your diagnosis? It is a new truck and needs to be serviced for the code that was read. Honda now knows your truck has a fault. Take a deep breath and take it back.
I don't trust that the technician will not break/tear up an ancillary item during their repair.
This is not my first rodeo. They have screwed something up every time I've visited a dealership, on every vehicle I've ever owned.

If it is as obvious as a completely loose hose, then I would fix it myself or have it exposed for them to see first hand.
There isn't much for them not to "believe" in that case.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Large leak is the code that gets reported for loose gas caps. Notice any problems during fueling with the nozzle getting stuck in the cap less filler?
I didn't notice any problems at fillup, though I did use a new (to me) gas station the day beforehand.
Given there is no gas cap, I'm not sure what could go wrong, though I'll check it out and see if anything looks out of sorts.

Do you think the loose/dislodged black plastic cover above the gas tank/fuel pump is completely unrelated?

·
Registered
110 Posts
I don't trust that the technician will not break/tear up an ancillary item during their repair.
This is not my first rodeo. They have screwed something up every time I've visited a dealership, on every vehicle I've ever owned.

If it is as obvious as a completely loose hose, then I would fix it myself or have it exposed for them to see first hand.
There isn't much for them not to "believe" in that case.
I guess I have just been lucky according to a lot of post here. I have used two different dealers from two different states in my Ridgelines 16 year life and have never experienced what so many seem to have. I will continue to have all maintenance performed at a dealership until I get the bad experiences so many talk about.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Not saying there’s a definite problem with the filler just saying a bad seal on the filler is a possible cause of the DTC. Even though the filler is capless it still needs to seal. Hence the warning to only use a gas station nozzle or the funnel in the filler neck to prevent damaging the seal. If there haven’t been any repairs to the fuel pump area I doubt the loose cover is related. Maybe, for whatever reason, the filler neck didn’t seal when you refueled. The dealer is hoping that’s the case and it’s not a bad call. They know you don’t want your car torn apart unneccesariy. If the fault is still present in 2 weeks they will diagnose.

Reactions: dysonanalysis

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
zroger73 & Cbayman -

I'll inspect the fuel filler for any obvious issues and hope I find something.
I guess it is probably just coincidental that I came across the 'unlached' cover on top of the fuel tank/fuel pump, and that it isn't related to the CEL.

Thanks

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Are you talking about the hinged cover that was the subject of a recall in 2019? The cover was added to prevent car wash soap from affecting the plastic fuel pump housing and leading to cracks.
Yes!
That is the hinged cover that I can barely see when I crawl under the truck.
When I stick my hand up there, I can feel that the cover is not "latched", but instead is hinged open.

The highlighted piece is popped open like is shown in the picture.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

·
Registered
566 Posts
Well that’s not good. I would call your dealer and tell them what you found. Not sure if a fuel pump crack could occur in a few months but a crack would cause the DTC.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well that’s not good. I would call your dealer and tell them what you found. Not sure if a fuel pump crack could occur in a few months but a crack would cause the DTC.
Do you, or anyone else, have pictures/videos of how to get to that fuel pump access door?
I've read on here that you get to it from the back seat of the Ridgeline, but I can't seem to find any posts outlining the process.
I'm guessing I need to remove the trim pieces in the back seat, then pull up the carpet?
I'd rather do this myself and have it ready for the dealer.

·
Registered
566 Posts
1 - 20 of 37 Posts