Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I thought I'd provide an update...

I've driven the truck very little since I made this post.
Not because of the CEL, but because I've been busy with my job (work from home) and projects around the house.
I finally drove the truck a fair amount this weekend, and to my disbelief, the Check Engine Light and Emissions Warning message is no longer showing.

The service advisor did say I should drive the truck for "a few days" to see if it was an intermittent problem, as the light may go out on it's own.
And that is what happened. At least for now.
I'm hoping the situation 'fixed itself', as I was really not looking forward to the dealership goobers tearing into my truck.

·
Registered
2019 Sport Lunar Silver AWD
567 Posts
What are doing about that fuel pump cover?

·
Registered
567 Posts
I don’t think you need to do anything else unless the DTC shows up again. Just note if the dealer cleared the DTC it takes a few drive cycles with specified parameters for the monitor to complete and report the DTC. So don’t be too surprised if you see the DTC again. Hopefully it was just a fluke with the capless filler.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
I don’t think you need to do anything else unless the DTC shows up again. Just note if the dealer cleared the DTC it takes a few drive cycles with specified parameters for the monitor to complete and report the DTC. So don’t be too surprised if you see the DTC again. Hopefully it was just a fluke with the capless filler.
Actually, they did not clear the codes. They left them on/active.
Only time will tell if/when the code comes back.

Thanks for your input. Are you a Honda tech?
I wish I had a way of making a contact with a good tech that knows what they are doing.
It would make me much less hesitant to bring my vehicle in.

·
Registered
2021 RTL-E, Lunar Silver Metallic
630 Posts
I wish I had a way of making a contact with a good tech that knows what they are doing.
Posting your questions on this forum is a very reliable way to get a broad range of technical information about your Ridgeline. You have a crowd of good tech's by simply posting your questions.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Actually, they did not clear the codes. They left them on/active.
Only time will tell if/when the code comes back.

Thanks for your input. Are you a Honda tech?
No I’m not a Honda tech or even a professional mechanic. But I am an experienced Honda user! There is a wealth of information on the forum and I keep up with posts enough to remember when a member’s question or problem has been discussed in past threads.

·
Registered
140 Posts
@bluegrass you mind if I jump on this thread and post my experiences? I think whatever is going on with our trucks is the same. My truck with only 3,800 miles went in on the 1st of this month with P0455 and P0456 codes. They couldn’t find anything, cleared them, and now they’re back on the 4th.

I think it would be helpful to have all the information in one place but would understand if you do not want me posting here.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
@bluegrass you mind if I jump on this thread and post my experiences? I think whatever is going on with our trucks is the same. My truck with only 3,800 miles went in on the 1st of this month with P0455 and P0456 codes. They couldn’t find anything, cleared them, and now they’re back on the 4th.

I think it would be helpful to have all the information in one place but would understand if you do not want me posting here.
I agree with keeping all of this information in one place, so feel free to document your very similar experiences here.
It is interesting that we have the same code and it happened at the same mileage.

My dealership service advisor is instructed NOT to clear codes, so he left them.
He did say that in some cases, whatever fault triggered the code will correct/clear itself after a few days of driving.
That is exactly what happened in my case. Once I was able to put some miles on the vehicle, the code went away.
After a few fill-ups and several hundred miles of driving, the light has not re-appeared.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Saw your response after I updated my own. I’ll stop there and update here from now on. I had my codes cleared and they reportedly ran tests without them reappearing. It only took me 3 days before the light came back on. I guess the good news is I now have a new code on my truck, P2421.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Saw your response after I updated my own. I’ll stop there and update here from now on. I had my codes cleared and they reportedly ran tests without them reappearing. It only took me 3 days before the light came back on. I guess the good news is I now have a new code on my truck, P2421.
Keep us posted as to what you end up doing to resolve this.
I didn't want to bring my truck in and have the service guys rip into it trying to chase down the issue.
I was lucky (for now) that the light went away without intervention. I'll be interested to see what happens in your case.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Keep us posted as to what you end up doing to resolve this.
I didn't want to bring my truck in and have the service guys rip into it trying to chase down the issue.
I was lucky (for now) that the light went away without intervention. I'll be interested to see what happens in your case.
I don't want them ripping in to mine either. Hopefully they'll be gentle. 😂

·
Registered
140 Posts
Well my guess from my thread was right, the capless fuel system got me. Turns out the second flap in the system is stuck open. Without taking it apart they can’t tell if is bent, or if something in the mechanism failed.

If you pop open the fuel door, then push in the first flap in with your finger the second flap is obviously stuck open. As luck would have it the part is on back order.

I know it’s not a popular thought, but I miss the simplicity of the old fashion gas cap.

·
Registered
567 Posts
I agree. In my business the capless fuel filler is known as a violation of the design rule, “Better is the enemy of good enough.”

21 - 37 of 37 Posts