Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Aloha from Hawaii! I have a 06 Ridgeline RTL with 65K miles and I love it! My kids pointed out that my headliner is sagging. Its sagging in the rear and the material is also billowing along both passenger & drivers sides. Honda Care warranty wont cover this and Honda Service says its about $850.00 with parts and labor to fix! My concern other than worrying about replacing my headliner every 65k is messing the side curtain airbags. They are tucked up there. Any ideas to help a guy stranded on an island out?

·
Registered
3,702 Posts
Find a Paintless Dent Removal guy - they all know how to remove the headliner to repair hail damage. He should do it for under $100 ( there are some fasteners that have to be replace with Honda ones. )

·
Registered
332 Posts
Get some double sided foam mounting tape from a hardware store like home depot on stick it back up with that. Just cut it into small strips and apply strategically.

I did it on an old Mazda Station wagon with a vinyl headliner and it worked well (but that was long before airbags)

The tape holds fairly strong, but not strong enough to impair the air bag. Plus if it doesn't work, it only cost you a few bucks. If it does work, hey you saved a whole lot of bucks.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Tech-savvy kids would have also told you where to find the answers. 'headliner' is the word to follow. 300+ posts containing that word . . . including HONDA documents and some mistakes you want to avoid.

Aloha.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Find a Paintless Dent Removal guy - they all know how to remove the headliner to repair hail damage. He should do it for under $100 ( there are some fasteners that have to be replace with Honda ones. )
It is very time consuming dropping the headliner in a Ridge. A three to four hour job. The seats need to come out and much more. The headlinder is about the first thing put in and everything is put over it such as pillar trim all the way to the floor. I know, I had to replace mine because of the damage done with a botched windshield install. I would not be concerned too much about the air bags. No problem working around them.

·
Premium Member
495 Posts
There is a spray on glue that you could try and spray up into the areas that have come loose, but it's not easy and can be messy if not done right.

·
Super Moderator
2021 Radiant Red RTL
6,687 Posts
There is a spray on glue that you could try and spray up into the areas that have come loose, but it's not easy and can be messy if not done right.
Yes, that "spray on glue" is a difficult installation. I used it once on my T-100 to glue the new cloth upholstery to the inside of the door. The old cloth deteriorated rather quickly. I cut the new piece and used the glue to adhere it to the door and also to hold the folded material together.

It worked great, but I did get a dab of the glue on the fabric and it ended up feeling like dried milk on a shirt.

Hope you get it worked out.

·
Registered
3,702 Posts
It is very time consuming dropping the headliner in a Ridge. A three to four hour job. The seats need to come out and much more. The headlinder is about the first thing put in and everything is put over it such as pillar trim all the way to the floor. I know, I had to replace mine because of the damage done with a botched windshield install. I would not be concerned too much about the air bags. No problem working around them.
http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/showpost.php?p=522028&postcount=1

service bulletin 10-035 shows 1.9 hours to remove and fix and reinstall the headliner. (hint - this is the how to remove and reinstall guide too)

I watched the PDR guy lower and fix dents in an 07 Ridgeline RTL and it was 2 hours including the dent removal (about 12 good hail dents). If you do it all the time it does not take all day.

·
Premium Member
5,566 Posts

service bulletin 10-035 shows 1.9 hours to remove and fix and reinstall the headliner. (hint - this is the how to remove and reinstall guide too)

I watched the PDR guy lower and fix dents in an 07 Ridgeline RTL and it was 2 hours including the dent removal (about 12 good hail dents). If you do it all the time it does not take all day.
It took me about 45 minutes to get mine out. It's not really that big of a deal. It is pretty hard to get it out of the door without tearing it up. I ended up removing one of the front seats which was about a 10 minute job.

Why did I have to remove it? I had some extensive cleanup after the dealership fixed this. I couldn't clean it the way I wanted to without rolling the truck over on it's top which was out of the question. :eek:

·
Registered
4,633 Posts
That must have been a "small" rock that hit your truck.

·
Registered
3,702 Posts
That must have been a "small" rock that hit your truck.
I think it was a Texas Gnat - just a small one. A big one would have totaled the Truck.

·
Premium Member
4,575 Posts
I think it was a Texas Gnat - just a small one. A big one would have totaled the Truck.
In AZ we call them legislators and having that sort of damage on your windshield from hitting one is a badge of honor. :act024:

·
Registered
233 Posts

I know why it took me so long, I'm not a repair tech. as stated in the service bulletin. I guess doubling the time for the first go at it wasn't too bad though.:act006:

Edit:
I just noticed that this service bulletin is not for a complete repacement, only to fix the glue problem. No wonder they didn't have to remove the seat. I guess I didn't do too bad after all with a total removal and replacement.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
After ***** footing around, I weighed the additional Hawaii shipping costs vs discounts from a internet supplier and the fact that the supplier would not guarantee against shipping damage (this thing is big). I decided to fork over the cash to Honda! They threw me a small bone with a 10% discount on parts and a little off labor! I will get it done and it will look right!

I am still not happy. I am worried this will happen again in another 5 years! Sheesh! Thanks for all of your responses!

Aloha!:act030:

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
23,315 Posts
Just curious if a local trim shop could handle that and save you some cash?

·
Registered
213 Posts
Aloha from Hawaii! I have a 06 Ridgeline RTL with 65K miles and I love it! My kids pointed out that my headliner is sagging. Its sagging in the rear and the material is also billowing along both passenger & drivers sides. Honda Care warranty wont cover this and Honda Service says its about $850.00 with parts and labor to fix! My concern other than worrying about replacing my headliner every 65k is messing the side curtain airbags. They are tucked up there. Any ideas to help a guy stranded on an island out?
I would check with upholstery shops in the area. I work for a dealership (not Honda) and when we have sagging headliners (again, not Honda, but most will fail, especially in humid climates) we have a sublet upholstery company come in and recover the headliner with new fabric. Looks like new and its about half the cost. Don't feel alone or that this is a defect. If I had to guess I'd attribute it to a humid climate and/or driving around with the windows down a lot. That eventually will cause the adhesive to release. I've actually seen one where the customer had their washer/dryer in the garage with poor ventilation and they left their windows down. The whole thing was sagging the next morning. Good luck.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Hmmmm...I'm gonna have to look into this also....I have a 2007 RTX with a power moonroof. The dealer had a local company install it just prior to my picking it up and the headliner fabric is billowing in some areas. They fixed it once, but it has let go in some other areas due to wind puffing it up at high speeds. It's WAY out of warrenty, so it's up to me. They used spray adhesive the last time (3M super-7 as the one they used originally didn't hold up). Good weekend summer project.

G

·
I was shocked to discover the headliner sagging in my 2009 Ridge. I'm surprised at Honda using a material with a thin foam backing. What happens is that, over time, heat from the sun causes the foam to deteriorate which then "delaminates," or separates from the fabric thus the sagging. I took my Ridge to Hawai`i Body and Fender (across from Costco in Kona) and the estimator said it cannot be repaired and would cost around $1000 to replace. I found some twist pins from Amazon said to be a fix and they are a waste of money. There is simply not enough foam for the pins to grab onto in order to hold it up. Behind the foam is a solid fiberboard backing that the pins do not penetrate so save your money on the pins should you discover them on line as a fix. I'm inclined to let it go as the dome light, clothes hooks, and sunroof may be sufficient to hold it so that it does not tough my head. That may not be the case if you don't have sunroof. Shame on Honda for designing such a cheap headliner. Sagging used to happen frequently in cars years ago, but this should not be the case in today's cars.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Mine has developed a few spots in headliner that are starting to loosen up. When I was at Upholstery shop I asked what they would charge to do new headliner and they said $180. Definitely wouldn't pay Honda $850 to do it.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts