Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
800 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Trying to track down a new oil leak, slow leak from front lower area getting all over a lot of things because it drips on frame parts and the shroud and flows around substantially. Have ruled out leaking from radiator lines and isolated the source to the area just above this metallic knobby connection pictured below (it looks clean because I cleaned it up but it blackens up and very wet), this view is from below, slightly passenger side of center, close to the radiator and cat, a pully and what looks perhaps like an alternator, leak could be from any of the bolts shown or the connector itself? I assume it is engine oil, although would not rule out AT fluid. Any help appreciated, thank you.

·
Registered
2,563 Posts
Usually the pictures show up on my iPhone, but not this time.

·
Super Moderator
2006 Ridgeline RTS in Steel Blue
7,405 Posts
I only get this...

Attachments

·
Premium Member
800 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thx... updated.

·
Registered
2,563 Posts
Thx... updated.
Uh nope same as it was. When you're posting scroll down further on the page and you'll see a box that says "attach files". Use that to get the photos to show.

Click the bubble that says "manage attachments"

·
Super Moderator
7,405 Posts
I see the Pics. I need time to look at my RL but those look like AC lines in the picture, I think. Tonight I'll look and add more to this post.

·
Premium Member
800 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks so much...

·
Super Moderator
7,405 Posts
I see nothing but this as well. :(
Interesting. Originally I only saw broken links, then I checked later and the pics were there.

Now I checked, in Chrome, I see the pics, in Internet Explorer only broken links?

·
Premium Member
800 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Sorry away from home so not able to get to ftp site...

·
Premium Member
800 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Trying to track down a new oil leak, slow leak from front lower area getting all over a lot of things because it drips on frame parts and the shroud and flows around substantially. Have ruled out leaking from radiator lines and isolated the source to the area just above this metallic knobby connection pictured below (it looks clean because I cleaned it up but it blackens up and very wet), this view is from below, slightly passenger side of center, close to the radiator and cat, a pully and what looks perhaps like an alternator, leak could be from any of the bolts shown or the connector itself? I assume it is engine oil, although would not rule out AT fluid. Any help appreciated, thank you.

·
Premium Member
800 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Is the large cylindracal piece the A/C compressor? Seems to be there... what kind of oil would that be? Any help appreciated. Frozen undriving...

·
Super Moderator
7,405 Posts
that would be "PAG" oil, it's relatively lightweight and a small amount.

I know I promised to check my RL last night but it was 8pm before I was off a ladder trying to put a temp patch on my flat roof. You know it never rains in California...

I'll look at it today

·
Premium Member
800 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Now I am uncertain again where it is coming from. There is a lot pooling under the radiator and I think wind is spraying that onto other locations. Also, oil travels down that pan to the edge front and then drips onto the black frame pieces that are part of suspension, and of course onto the big cross pipe. I think the pictured bolts just seem to hold the oil better on their edges, therefore it looks like oil is coming out around them.

However, all the connections/hoses I can see from the radiator are dry (radiator is new Spectra... with a number of new hoses, but this leak did start after install). Is there a connection underneath the radiator that I cannot see?

Cannot get a full read on the color because of all the dirt under there, but looks like engine oil to me, not red enough to be transsy fluid (which is recently changed for me).

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,563 Posts
Judging only on the apparent corrosiveness on the nearby metal, I'd guess power steering fluid. But had to tell from the photos provided. You need to get some of the fresher oil so you can describe the color. Even power steering fluid will appear black as it dissolves the engine crude in its path.

You might have a bad PS O-ring that will cause a fine spray.

·
Super Moderator
7,405 Posts
Am I looking at the pics right those are from underneath, looking up on the passenger side? I only had a minute to look yesterday and realized ipad in hand it looked nothing like that from the top side.

I'm with Elk, Power Steering is a good guess, It may be adding to the discoloration as it's bringing "O-Ring" material with it.

If it was me, I'd spray with simple green while still warm, and then rince/wash off

·
Premium Member
800 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Judging only on the apparent corrosiveness on the nearby metal, I'd guess power steering fluid. But had to tell from the photos provided. You need to get some of the fresher oil so you can describe the color. Even power steering fluid will appear black as it dissolves the engine crude in its path.

You might have a bad PS O-ring that will cause a fine spray.
Thanks for the tip, do you think that can spray is powerful enough to get all over the other parts around ? On thing is for sure is it does not leak when the RL sits, which may not be that helpful, but should be able to rule a few things out.

I was about to (partially) change the P/S fluid with a suck out and refill on the reservoir. My P/S fluid is very black, and the reservoir does not seem to have moved much, whereas the fluid is in brown spectrum and is losing in some volume, on the order of 15-30mL per trip.

Thanks so much for helping, am still having a time of it, I practically cleaned the entire suspension and underneath of the RL spotless and greaseless at this point... do you think if I drive with a white rag under the radiator that there is any danger (too hot?). Am really hoping to finally rule out the radiator (recently replaced and visually dry connections but major pooling in tray underneath).

·
Registered
2,563 Posts
Start up the truck, have someone turn the steering wheel repeatedly back and forth all the way and hold it at the extremes. Listen for the whine at the ends and visually looks for any leakage. And see if you see anything

1 - 20 of 30 Posts