Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Every 6 or 7 years, I replace my ride whether or not it is in good condition. Well, my 2000 GMC Yukon is in top shape even though it has 140,000 miles on it. I am smitten by a Black RTL with Nav, but I also like the Toyota Tacoma double cab with the sport package. Folks help me out. The Honda will be several thousand more but it appears you get a lot for the $. Also, how much should I expect to pay for the RTL with Nav and Sunroof? I have talked to two dealers and one is $500 OVER invoice and the other is $250 OVER. Should I expect better? I love this site!

·
Registered
479 Posts
Hi Outhouse. Nice screen name by the way!:D

Hey, I was in the same boat you are in with the decision. I wanted the Taco with the sport package because I like the color keyed look, and the hood scoop. The '06 Taco is the nicest lookin truck out there, and it's hard to beat for rugged off road driving. It also has a larger towing capacity.

However, I purchased the Ridgeline not only because it's a Honda, but because I got Waaaay more for my money. The nav version comes with other things that is not even available on the Taco: Leather, Heated seats, Sun roof, heated mirrors, power rear window to mention a few.

But I gotta tell you. The Ridgeline feels like a different class of vehicle. It rides very VERY nice. Probably the best thing about this truck after 6 weeks of ownership. The ridgeline is just more civilized in every way than ANY other pick up truck out there. By far, the best built vehicle I have ever owned. I have had two Tacos.

Everybody on this board will be jumping in shortly, and giving you their opinions, so I will stop here. Check out my Poll on this very subject: If the ridgeline didn't exist, what truck would you own? The truck leading that poll is the Tacoma.

That should tell you something. You have great taste...........go with the RTL W/Navi!

I can't comment on pricing. I would have paid way more for mine than I did........just because I know what I am getting. It's well worth it.

Good luck!

fins

·
Registered
148 Posts
I looked at both trucks hard. The taco was a great truck but wasn't in the same class as the RL. I ended up taking the wife + 2 kids for test drives and there wasn't quite enough room on the taco with way more room in the RL. I've had guys at work comment how quite my RL is (F150 and Dodge drivers mostly) and that with roof rack, which DOES add some noise. Think it looks better so I left it on.

Can't go wrong with either, the RL was more what I was looking for. Got the chance to drive it on ice last week in central texas and it did great. Tried to get loose and stayed hooked up all the way.

Pricing depends on what part of the country you live in.

·
Registered
333 Posts
It's been a while since I have seen any quoted prices, maybe I'm just not following those threads anymore. But if you search around here on the ROC, you will find that some have purchased their RL for significantly below invoice! I seem to remember one post for $1400 under. Much better the last couple months than when I purchased in mid Sept. I paid about $170 over invoice then. Shop around, send out some emails, use the info to talk to your local dealer.

I couldn't get interested in any of the other 4-door pickups, they were all too cramped, both front and rear. I wasn't aware of the RL at the time, but once I saw one up close, climbed in it, found the huge trunk, saw all the features that are standard as opposed to optional, it didn't take long to make up my mind.

You won't regret the RidgeLine!

·
Registered
6 Posts
2006 Honda Ridgeline RTL S/R Navi 4DR Automatic Transmission Model YK1656KNW MSRP 35190; Invoice 31708
-$2000 off invoice
=
$29,708

A $29k Taco double cab 4x4 TRD is not going to have the leather, the sunroof, or the Navi. But it will be better off road.

Let's not forget the Ridgeline beat all others in a car and driver comparo:
http://www.caranddriver.com/article.asp?section_id=15&article_id=9470

Larez2

L

·
0 Posts
I can't help you with price because I bought mine the day it came out so I paid sticker but I can tell you the 40K I did pay, I would have paid double for it for the ride, comfort, safety and just peace of mind I have with my RidgeLine.
Now...what are you waiting for?? :D

·
Registered
289 Posts
You do realize that the people on this board will be somewhat biased. However, after driving the Ridgeline for awhile, they have become most adamant in backing their choice of their vehicle. That should tell you something! :)

·
Registered
9,967 Posts
Buy the Ridgeline! There is no comparison.

·
Registered
186 Posts
First.... I love my Ridgeline.... I'd go for it!

On price, go to http://www.edmunds.com to check out pricing/costs, etc. You are lucky.... the $1,000 marketing incentive to the dealer has been extended. It was to have ended last week, but I just checked and it has been extended to January 3rd: http://www.edmunds.com/new/2006/honda/ridgeline/100513005/incentives.html

Note that the option "costs" you see do not include installation by the dealer, which can be substantial.

I bought mine about a month ago, and we started at $500 under invoice for the RL with Sunroof and XM Radio (leather seats, and the other things that are standard with that model), then we negotiated on a package price for the options that I wanted: running boards, back-up sensors, towing package, and fog lights. The deal clincher for me was that the dealer I went with gave me $2,000 more on my trade-in (Ford Ranger).

The last suggestion may seem obvious..... go with a dealer you trust, even if you have to drive a bit further You will likely have routing follow-up needs, to include having any options you want installed!

Good luck, and keep us posted!:D

·
Registered
38 Posts
On pricing, there are other threads suggesting that $500-$1500 below invoice was available as of mid November (when I bought an RTL with S?R and Navi).

My lessons learned - price all of the accessories you want at the time you shop for the truck - there can be significant differences in price among dealers on these items. For me, and I suspect others, there are many "accessories" that are "gotta have" items (i.e., fog lights, auto dimming mirror, etc).

My dealer gave me pricing on all accessories, and the option to purchase some within the next couple of months if I choose.

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
fins2theright said:
Hi Outhouse. Nice screen name by the way!:D

Check out my Poll on this very subject: If the ridgeline didn't exist, what truck would you own? The truck leading that poll is the Tacoma.

fins
I agree with everything in the original post, and didn't see the poll. I too would have gone with the Tacoma had Honda not come out with the RL.

·
Registered
774 Posts
You can't go wrong with either vehicle. It all depends on what you're asking the truck to do. Of course, most of us are extremely biased towards our Ridgelines. Some of us have owned them for 9 months now and the love affair only gets stronger. We guarantee you that the Ridgeline will be like no other truck you've ever driven. I don't think a Taco owner could make that statement. Good luck- hope you join the growing family of happy Ridgeline owners.

·
Registered
236 Posts
See if you can get an overnight test drive so you can go where you want with it. You will be amazed at the ride.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Swampler, yes I am from Bartlett, TN! Was she at BHS? If so, she might remember my son Chris who was on Bartlett's nationally ranked Basketball team.

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
Outhouse said:
Swampler, yes I am from Bartlett, TN! Was she at BHS? If so, she might remember my son Chris who was on Bartlett's nationally ranked Basketball team.
Yep, she was at BHS. Taught History. You can PM Chris's last name if you want and I'll ask her if she remembers him...or you can ask him if he had or knew a Mrs. Wampler.

·
Registered
30 Posts
just my 2 cents, get the ridge it a number one cr best buy over the taco. i am in process this week to order my rtl

·
Registered
220 Posts
Outhouse said:
Hey - I lived in Bartlett TN for four years from 2000 to 2004. What a small world!!

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
I just want to echo everyone else.

The Taco is a great looking truck and it will serve you better if you like to do more off-road driving. The RL is fine off-road but the Taco is better.

If you are looking for a refined on-road truck the RL is unbeatable in its class and is right up there with the high end foofy trucks (Escalade). Throw in the 48" wide bed, trunk and most interior room in the mid-size class and you got a winner.

Yes, I am biased but in 9 months and 2 days of driving my RL I can't imagine not having this truck.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts