Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. I'm normally a car care nut and I want to take really good care of my Black RL. I've been meaning to get it's first coat of wax on but because of the problems I had when I bought it, I've had to wait. I had to get the tailgate and rear bumber repainted. The shop that did it said not to wax for 60 days. Now that the 60 days is up, it's 40 degrees outside! I know I need to do it...I even bought the "step up to sizzle" kit from properautocare.com but I'm dreading freezing my but off to do it. Accroding to the weather report, I've got today and tomorrow before the snow hits. That's the other thing that bugs me. I'll spend hours shining it up and in two days, it will be dirty again. Oh well. Think warm thoughts for me :eek: .

·
Registered
802 Posts
Do you have a garage? Use QEW and wash it in there if so. I've washed cars in 20 degree weather in the garage using QEW-just have to use warm water. :)

And for those who don't know...QEW is Quick and Easy Wash. It's a low-water, no rinse wash. You can get it at most RV stores-only thing to do in winter when it's too cold to use the hose.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Well, it has to be done. IMHO you have to have a good coat of wax on your black vehicle now if you want to have anything other than frustration and disappointment in the spring. If you don't have a garage and don't know of a garage that you can borrow for a day, you might want to pay a detail shop to do it for you now. It will be worth it. In your case, "Pay me now or pay me later" could not be more true.
Just the opinion of someone that is somewhat anal about having a clean vehicle to drive and enjoy.

L

·
0 Posts
Ultra-HOG said:
Just the opinion of someone that is somewhat anal about having a clean vehicle to drive and enjoy.
NO!!! Ya think!!??;)
His truck is so clean you an eat off it!! :eek:
( I mean that lovingly and respectfully B )

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Ultra-HOG said:
I second LR. Anal is not the word, buddy, it's called "pride".:)

·
Premium Member
6,881 Posts
Hi Ruffles,

Did the dealer fix the paint on your bumpers to your satisfaction?? I'd have it detailed by a pro if you can't get her done at home. I read somewhere on the web that the new chemicals added to the road salts are more corrosive than they were before.

·
Registered
346 Posts
I went the route of the detailer for the reasons that you mentioned...winter is upon us and I wanted a good coat of wax for protection. I went with the exteior special that they had. Read the paper, drank a coffee stayed wrm and dry and presto...shiny as all get out.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
I really should get this done, I am horrible about washing the car let alone considering waxing it. The only wax I even have right now is bowling alley wax which would be interesting on a car although inappropriate (the wax is for my table saw). I had planned on using NuFinish a few times this year but every weekend I had planned on dealing with the cars it rained. I don't know if this is bad luck or if I looked at the reports and saw rain as a possibility and said hey this weekend is good to put it on the list again :eek:

Perhaps spending the money on a detailing will kick me in the pants so that next year I actually deal with it myself. I really need to also bring in my wife's Civic and get it cleaned and the bumper repainted so perhaps a family deal...

·
Registered
386 Posts
I've heard NuFinish is bad for the clear coat, although it makes it shine, it takes a slight layer of clear coat off to make that nice easy shine. Notice the smell of lighter fluid that seems to come from the bottle? Unless they've redone it, I swear by Meguiars NXT Generation Tech Wax. I used to use their Gold Class, until I tried this (little more costly, but I had to get it because they didn't have Gold Class) and never looked back.

http://www.meguiars.com/?liquid-car-waxes/NXT-Generation-Tech-Wax

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, I took it to the local car wash thinking maybe I could just do the wax and avoid the wash. That was $11 wasted. I came home and ended up having to wash it by hand. Did I say it was 40 degrees? That must have been in the sun. In my driveway, it was 34 degrees! Thats right, only 2 degrees above freezing. I still can't feel my hands. After the wash, I brought it in the garage and started to wax it. I was almost done when I realized I had put the Blackfire protector on first instead of the polish :mad: . That means I get to start all over. I finished the polish about an hour ago and once I get the kids down to bed, I'll go out and redo the protector.

It's a lot of work but it look soooo good!

·
Premium Member
5,392 Posts
I'm shocked that it's that cold in Rexburg already. I'm glad to be a few miles south. . . Close to 60 down here still. . .

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Whoo hoo! It's shiny again :D . Yes, Rexburg is a bit chilly. The temp isn't the worst part, it's the wind :( . This is going to take some getting used to.

·
Premium Member
5,392 Posts
It looks good. Glad you got it done.

·
Registered
964 Posts
Ruffles said:
Whoo hoo! It's shiny again :D . Yes, Rexburg is a bit chilly. The temp isn't the worst part, it's the wind :( . This is going to take some getting used to.

We had wind advisories and wind chill advisories yesterday until about 4pm. ONce it hit 4pm, it was nice. But before then it was freezingly cold BRRRR.

GLad you got her waxed :)

·
Registered
201 Posts
I recently began using JaxWax. The stuff is great. yeah, I've seen a few that might have a slightly better shine, but there is nothing I ever used that is so easy. Cold, Hot, direct sunlight, it doesn't matter. It goes on easy and comes off even easier.

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
Truckin' said:
I'm shocked that it's that cold in Rexburg already. I'm glad to be a few miles south. . . Close to 60 down here still. . .
I'm not ready for 30's yet. It was in the 80's yesterday (record high), but only 59 forecasted for the high today. Brrr.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts