Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hate to be all girly - but I have limited knowledge about cars/motors. I have a 2006 Ridgeline (have really loved this vehicle) - and got it paid off in Novemeber. I started having problems almost immediately - and other than maintanance, I've never really had to spend money on this truck. I had to get a new battery (Dec) - and everything seemed fine. I drove it maybe 1000-1500 miles (over 2-3 months - I have a 2nd car and spread my miles out) then it started acting like it didn't want to run. I took it to a local mechanic and he said there was a misfire on #4 cylinder - he thought it was the coil pack - he put on a new one and changed the spark plugs...two days later the engine light and VTM light was on again. I let it sit a while because of my work schedule. About two weeks ago I took it back to the mechanic - he said it needed a valve adjustment ($400 spent thus far on this issue). I drove it about 130 more miles to Cleveland TN to visit my brother -and took it to their service department to get them to make sure everything was okay. They said there was no evidence the valve adjustment had been done and that the spark plugs were not new. The big thing - there was no oil showing up on the dipstick and I had about 2500 miles until the next change. They changed my oil and told me to take it back to the mechanic to discuss the lack of service I got and either get him to redo the job or get my $$ back. I drove the truck about 20 miles and I noticed the misfiring again and the engine/VTM light came back on. I called Honda and took it back in (they hadn't done a diagnostic because it seemed to be running okay and there was no engine light on)... well they said it was misfiring on the #4 cylinder. They hoped a valve adjustment would cure the problem. After about 4 hours, I got a call - bad news - valve was bad in the #4 cylinder. They had to send the cylinder to a machine shop. They are going to replace the cylinder, adjust the valves, put on new spark plugs and new gaskets --- and (since it's due) do the timing belt (cheaper now with engine opened up) --- total cost: $2715.

I have some questions - what could have caused this? I have 88,000 miles on this truck and all maintenance has been done - regular oil changes, tires, rotations, etc. I don't run the truck hard and I have taken great care of it. I had noticed (when these issues began) there was smoke from the exhaust... so is that where the oil went? Was it burning oil? They said there was no evidence of a leak and there was never any oil on the ground where I park. I'm just uncertain. These guys at Honda are really nice and have great reviews - so I think they are trust-worthy. Anyone experience this issue before or heard of anyone? I just hope this fixes everything. They gave me a loaner to get back home to NC - truck should be fixed within the next two days. I will pick it up Wednesday or Thursday. It's just a bit scary - especially since I am not knowledgeable about these things.200

·
Registered
437 Posts
There are some here in their 200 and 300 tho range that havn't had many problems --maybe yous was made on Friday?? It will be as good as new when done --

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There are some here in their 200 and 300 tho range that havn't had many problems --maybe yous was made on Friday?? It will be as good as new when done --
Ha! Thanks USMC --- I hope so. I just wonder what caused such a huge issue - I guess you are saying I may never know --- crap just happens? I do hope this is the end of the issues. I'm trying to save to completely gut and remodel my bathroom - this $$$ really sets me back a few months!

·
Registered
781 Posts
Kimmy, give your post a little time. There are a lot of knowledgable members here. Myself not included!

·
Registered
4,075 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Ha! Thanks USMC --- I hope so. I just wonder what caused such a huge issue - I guess you are saying I may never know --- crap just happens? I do hope this is the end of the issues. I'm trying to save to completely gut and remodel my bathroom - this $$$ really sets me back a few months!
Likely never know the actual cause but it seems from most reports of internal engine problems/failures, the common denominator is usually cylinder #4. Almost like there is some kind of design flaw or engineering discrepancy. But with so few actual examples we may never know the main cause.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
I'd have definitely done this:
Read through some of those threads and see what others have done. If I were you, I would gather every single shred of maintenance evidence that is available for the truck (including searching for any from the previous owner) and calling Honda U.S.A's corporate office. They should at least pay for a part of it and will likely want to send a certified tech to look at the truck and document his findings. Honda typically doesn't like to have anything happen to their engines and is very interested in finding problems and fixing them. I'm thinking there was likely a breakdown in material quality from certain suppliers during a run of production and Honda just hasn't declared anything about it yet. It doesn't make sense why the SAME problem is happening over and over again with the SAME issues on very similar trucks. You have a case. You need to be forceful and demanding, but still polite. This is not something caused by you, but rather a mechanical defect.

Btw, what they will do, or should do, is to pull ENGINE HEAD on that side off and replace the valve. Not the cylinder. Not that it matters, but you will sound more knowledgeable on topic when speaking with folks. They don't like well educated females. Makes them feel uneasy.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I hate to be all girly - but I have limited knowledge about cars/motors. I have a 2006 Ridgeline (have really loved this vehicle) - and got it paid off in Novemeber. I started having problems almost immediately - and other than maintanance, I've never really had to spend money on this truck. I had to get a new battery (Dec) - and everything seemed fine. I drove it maybe 1000-1500 miles (over 2-3 months - I have a 2nd car and spread my miles out) then it started acting like it didn't want to run. I took it to a local mechanic and he said there was a misfire on #4 cylinder - he thought it was the coil pack - he put on a new one and changed the spark plugs...two days later the engine light and VTM light was on again. I let it sit a while because of my work schedule. About two weeks ago I took it back to the mechanic - he said it needed a valve adjustment ($400 spent thus far on this issue). I drove it about 130 more miles to Cleveland TN to visit my brother -and took it to their service department to get them to make sure everything was okay. They said there was no evidence the valve adjustment had been done and that the spark plugs were not new. The big thing - there was no oil showing up on the dipstick and I had about 2500 miles until the next change. They changed my oil and told me to take it back to the mechanic to discuss the lack of service I got and either get him to redo the job or get my $$ back. I drove the truck about 20 miles and I noticed the misfiring again and the engine/VTM light came back on. I called Honda and took it back in (they hadn't done a diagnostic because it seemed to be running okay and there was no engine light on)... well they said it was misfiring on the #4 cylinder. They hoped a valve adjustment would cure the problem. After about 4 hours, I got a call - bad news - valve was bad in the #4 cylinder. They had to send the cylinder to a machine shop. They are going to replace the cylinder, adjust the valves, put on new spark plugs and new gaskets --- and (since it's due) do the timing belt (cheaper now with engine opened up) --- total cost: $2715.

I have some questions - what could have caused this? I have 88,000 miles on this truck and all maintenance has been done - regular oil changes, tires, rotations, etc. I don't run the truck hard and I have taken great care of it. I had noticed (when these issues began) there was smoke from the exhaust... so is that where the oil went? Was it burning oil? They said there was no evidence of a leak and there was never any oil on the ground where I park. I'm just uncertain. These guys at Honda are really nice and have great reviews - so I think they are trust-worthy. Anyone experience this issue before or heard of anyone? I just hope this fixes everything. They gave me a loaner to get back home to NC - truck should be fixed within the next two days. I will pick it up Wednesday or Thursday. It's just a bit scary - especially since I am not knowledgeable about these things.200
Kimmy, sorry this happened to you. I have a feeling that Honda knows more than they are telling.

Kimmy, was the plug firing order #4(middle front bank) or #4 left to right starting with back bank.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Kimmy, sorry this happened to you. I have a feeling that Honda knows more than they are telling.

Kimmy, was the plug firing order #4(middle front bank) or #4 left to right starting with back bank.
I'm unsure --- I have some pics on my phone but I'm unsure as to what I am looking at. I'll try to attach here....

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'd have definitely done this:
Read through some of those threads and see what others have done. If I were you, I would gather every single shred of maintenance evidence that is available for the truck (including searching for any from the previous owner) and calling Honda U.S.A's corporate office. They should at least pay for a part of it and will likely want to send a certified tech to look at the truck and document his findings. Honda typically doesn't like to have anything happen to their engines and is very interested in finding problems and fixing them. I'm thinking there was likely a breakdown in material quality from certain suppliers during a run of production and Honda just hasn't declared anything about it yet. It doesn't make sense why the SAME problem is happening over and over again with the SAME issues on very similar trucks. You have a case. You need to be forceful and demanding, but still polite. This is not something caused by you, but rather a mechanical defect.

Btw, what they will do, or should do, is to pull ENGINE HEAD on that side off and replace the valve. Not the cylinder. Not that it matters, but you will sound more knowledgeable on topic when speaking with folks. They don't like well educated females. Makes them feel uneasy.
I just got off the phone with Honda's corporate office and they won't do anything. They said the service manager at the Honda shop would have to request a certified tech if they feel it is warranted. I'm not sure how all these other people got assistance. BTW --- it isn't just the valve or cylinder - got a call from the shop yesterday and it's a cracked head... a new one will cost $2200. The shop I am dealing with is super nice and they said they had a used head they think will work and it will drastically cut my cost - they are sending that one to the machine shop to see if they can use it... if not - I'm probably looking at a $4000 or more cost and Honda not providing assistance. I'm very frustrated. Here is a pic of the cracked head --- with a close up to follow....

Attachments

·
Registered
4,633 Posts
Cracked head, burnt valve, cylinder #4, front left.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Cracked head, burnt valve, cylinder #4, front left.
Thanks! Any idea what would cause this? I've always maintained all proper fluid levels - timely oil changes - always kept antifreeze at appropriate levels, etc. I've found approximately 10 people thus far with same issue - starting with the #4 cylinder - leading to the finding of a cracked head. Now, to go further up on the Honda food chain....

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
22,778 Posts
Assuming the vehicle was properly maintained and operated, as you indicate, I can only see a defect from the mfg. Convincing Honda of this fact will be the task to accomplish.

I encourage you to write a polite letter complete with pics of the issue and send it to several places at Honda.

Here's a link to a post by csimo with several addresses you should use:
http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/showpost.php?p=646149&postcount=98

1 - 16 of 16 Posts