Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear ROC member,

This is my first post. I have been on many times throughout the last 12 months reading threads and learning so much about the Ridgeline and our passion for it.

I purchased a brand new Ridgeline RTS back in 2013. I have currently 16K miles on it. I have been very impressed with this truck. I haven't had one repair or issue until now. About a month ago the truck just lost a lot of its smooth and soft ride characteristics. It now drives like its on two solid axle suspensions. I purchased this vehicle for my family as a daily driver due o the size, safety ratings, and 4WD.

Currently, there are noises from both rear sides over bumps. Very annoying and irritating. I hear tons of rattles from the middle of the truck on to the rear. I can't isolate them. In addition, i purposely did some quick maneuvers in a parking lot at 20 mph like if I was going through a course of orange cones and I hear pops from the rear suspension. Almost like metal hitting metal.

I have been two different Honda dealers in the North East and they hear the issues but state its normal and have to live with it. They say struts are not leaking and bushings and links look perfect. All i know is that it doesn't drive like it use to.

I am about to take it to a third dealer and see if they can find anything. I am hoping i didn't make the wrong decision in this vehicle. My family and I looked at the Ridgeline, Frontier, and Tacoma. We liked them in that same order. If i can't find a solution with 4 more years of payments I am strongly considering trading it in for a Frontier.

I would genuinely appreciate any thoughts on possible causes, solutions, or plainly take my losses and move on.

Best regards,

SnowSki4WD

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Dear ROC member,

This is my first post. I have been on many times throughout the last 12 months reading threads and learning so much about the Ridgeline and our passion for it.

I purchased a brand new Ridgeline RTS back in 2013. I have currently 16K miles on it. I have been very impressed with this truck. I haven't had one repair or issue until now. About a month ago the truck just lost a lot of its smooth and soft ride characteristics. It now drives like its on two solid axle suspensions. I purchased this vehicle for my family as a daily driver due o the size, safety ratings, and 4WD.

Currently, there are noises from both rear sides over bumps. Very annoying and irritating. I hear tons of rattles from the middle of the truck on to the rear. I can't isolate them. In addition, i purposely did some quick maneuvers in a parking lot at 20 mph like if I was going through a course of orange cones and I hear pops from the rear suspension. Almost like metal hitting metal.

I have been two different Honda dealers in the North East and they hear the issues but state its normal and have to live with it. They say struts are not leaking and bushings and links look perfect. All i know is that it doesn't drive like it use to.

I am about to take it to a third dealer and see if they can find anything. I am hoping i didn't make the wrong decision in this vehicle. My family and I looked at the Ridgeline, Frontier, and Tacoma. We liked them in that same order. If i can't find a solution with 4 more years of payments I am strongly considering trading it in for a Frontier.

I would genuinely appreciate any thoughts on possible causes, solutions, or plainly take my losses and move on.

Best regards,

SnowSki4WD
Welcome to the ROC. Although your first post appears to have been triggered by displeasure for the RL from issues mentioned above, you do have a valid point to complain as some of us here have with similar issues are yours. Mine does similar things as yours but have noticed that the winter roads have become bumpier these winter months and have been experiencing same issues as you have. Once spring comes along and roads get better hence frost settles and goes down, those issues tend to disappear. Do I think it's normal? No I don't think it should be considered that way but dealers appear to not know or want to address the issue.

Where do you live? Is it winter conditions? Did you check tire pressure? May be over inflated.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hello,

I have a 2013 Ridgeline Sport model and have never heard any of the "metal on metal" noises you mentioned while driving over bumps. My brother has a 2014 Sport with no noises while driving over bumps either. We both have about 15,000 miles on our trucks as well. In my view, this is not normal and you should not have to live with it.

If you look in the back of your owner's manual, you will see a section titled "Customer Service Information". For my 2013 Ridgeline manual, this is on page number 402. First, the manual suggests you discuss your issue with the dealership's management. This is when you encounter a problem that your dealership does not solve to your satisfaction. So, I suggest you do what they recommend and talk to someone above the service people you've been working with. I would then expect that the dealership's upper manager(s) would encourage the service people to take another look at your truck and determine the problem and then repair it.

If this does not happen, then Honda recommends that you contact them directly. In the US, call American Honda Motor Co., Inc at 1-800-999-1009. (This is also listed on page 402 of the owner's manual.) Tell the customer service people at Honda what is going on. They should get in touch with your dealership and have them troubleshoot and correct the problem.

I've owned 4 Honda's now and had to call American Honda Motor Co., Inc once. My problem was resolved very quickly. The dealership doesn't want you to call 'the mother ship' because it doesn't look good for them. I would expect that the upper manager at your dealership will take care of you. It would probably be best if you work with the dealership where you bought your truck but this is not absolutely required.

Let us know what happens.

·
Premium Member
7,332 Posts
They really cant't fix it. The Lincoln, AL welding system is outdated and worn out. Vehicles are off by millimeters. A very bad situation. The dealer cannot re-weld your body... you just got a bad one. Honda is in deep **** right now.

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
22,577 Posts
They really cant't fix it. The Lincoln, AL welding system is outdated and worn out. Vehicles are off by millimeters. A very bad situation. The dealer cannot re-weld your body... you just got a bad one. Honda is in deep **** right now.
If this is the case, then it seems to me the OPs recourse is to fall back on the lemon law, depending on his state, I'd guess.

What other options does the OP have?

·
Registered
39 Posts
My 2011 feels very stiff in the winter just like what you are experiencing. More so this winter but it has been extremely cold. See if it improves as the weather warms up.
Mine produces a popping sound in the back, like a squash ball being hit, when I drive over potholes. Dealer has looked and found nothing so I suspect it has to do with the plastic covers on the struts.
I drove a 99 Ranger before this and that truck was a terror to drive at high speeds over bumps so the Ridgeline, in comparison, is a dream vehicle to me. Overall I am very happy with my purchase.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I was going to suggest the lemon law too if he just bought "a bad one" and it can't be fixed.

If the truck was driven over very bad pot holes, perhaps there's actual damage that the dealers aren't finding. If one or more welds broke isn't that a major concern? Another idea is to have his insurance company look at it for a possible claim. I have a friend who works for a major auto insurance company. I will run this by him.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you everyone for your quick responses. I genuinely appreciate it.

I never knew or even thought of a possible welding issue. If this is the case I guess I have a misaligned suspension or chasis all together. I'm only guessing that when all the components are brand new without wear and tear it covers up this manufacturing defect. The dealer nor car complaints.com never disclosed it.

Is this known for all years of Ridgeline or just the newer years? Thus, if I am able convince the dealership to change the entire rear suspension I would just be putting a bandaid on it due to misaligned welding? The problem will just resurface later on again. aargh!

I guess my next step is I will go to a high end body shop and kindly ask them to verify or check chassis alignment?

I'm just disappointed right now. Thank for your comments. I will try to hit the body shop and the third dealer.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I too have a new Ridgeline and have been hearing some strange noises. I bought it in December 2014. I think that perhaps because it may have been one of the last to come off the assembly line, it might have not been built to the high standards of Ridgelines from years prior.

·
Registered
4,346 Posts
Thank you everyone for your quick responses. I genuinely appreciate it.

I never knew or even thought of a possible welding issue. If this is the case I guess I have a misaligned suspension or chasis all together. I'm only guessing that when all the components are brand new without wear and tear it covers up this manufacturing defect. The dealer nor car complaints.com never disclosed it.

Is this known for all years of Ridgeline or just the newer years? Thus, if I am able convince the dealership to change the entire rear suspension I would just be putting a bandaid on it due to misaligned welding? The problem will just resurface later on again. aargh!

I guess my next step is I will go to a high end body shop and kindly ask them to verify or check chassis alignment?

I'm just disappointed right now. Thank for your comments. I will try to hit the body shop and the third dealer.
Good Luck Snowski I don't really understand your problem with the 2013 but hope you get it fixed if it is a problem.

·
Super Moderator
5,331 Posts
The unfortunate thing is that welds and/or body structure are not covered under the normal warranty.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
9,967 Posts
I am happy with my 2013 even though the fit and finish on my 06 and 08 may have been a little better. If the problem is a bad as you say I would go back to the dealer and insist something be done. If that has no results go direct to Honda and if that bears no results then lemon law and civil court.

·
Registered
88 Posts
This thread is bothering me. If they opened the Alabama assembly line in 2009, would the welding system really be that outdated and worn out for a low production vehicle like the RL? And, if so, why would the RL consistently rate as the most dependable vehicle in it's class? And lastly Joe, if you really know this to be a problem, why on earth would you ever buy a 2014 SE? I would have bought the Taco, fake hood scoop and all.

·
Premium Member
7,332 Posts
Joe.
Are they updating any equipment, welding etc. for the upcoming pilot/ridgeline that you know of.
Thanks,
Yes, Lincoln will get the new global welding system soon (if not already started). They also improved their engine assembly process and added a 3rd stamping press (it weighs in at 7.5 million pounds)..

But now the emphasis is to put quality before quantity. Big changes.

·
Registered
2014 Sport
3,335 Posts
All due respect, but I not sure how we went from noises and poor suspension dampening (that used to work better) to irreparable welding issues??

I would most certainly start with pushing the issue with the dealer(s) more and have them look very carefully at the rear suspension components again.

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
22,577 Posts
The connection I drew was noise caused by faulty construction as a result of old and worn out mfg equipment. If this be the case, I'm not sure how it would be diagnosed or repaired. All-in-all, it could be a huge hassle for the owner.

·
Registered
2014 Sport
3,335 Posts
Agree that faulty construction (if true) could be irrepareable.

But how did we conclusively go from this:
"About a month ago the truck just lost a lot of its smooth and soft ride characteristics. It now drives like its on two solid axle suspensions."

"Currently, there are noises from both rear sides over bumps. Very annoying and irritating. I hear tons of rattles from the middle of the truck on to the rear. I can't isolate them. In addition, i purposely did some quick maneuvers in a parking lot at 20 mph like if I was going through a course of orange cones and I hear pops from the rear suspension. Almost like metal hitting metal."

To advising that the dealers are not able to do anything about it because it is a result of welding problems??

Just because the dealers couldn't find anything wrong? If they are incapable of diagnosing problems with individual suspension pieces, I would push them to replace the shocks, springs, and sway bar links first and then start worrying about "frame cancer."

1 - 20 of 42 Posts