Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My issue started about 2 weeks ago when suddenly my tail lights fuse #4 weren't working so I changed the fuse and went about my business. After that I started popping my turn signal fuse #16 along with that. About a week after that I was parked and was unable to put it into gear and after using the message boards figured out it was the horn/stop fuse. I have been replacing fuses left and right for the last 2 weeks and put a 20a fuse so I could drive and be legal till the weather warmed up. Everything was fine until yesterday when I started to smell an electrical smell so I got the truck home and started to research..... I found a post about aftermarket trailer harness being an issue so I disconnected my set up and hooked back into the factory and now I am popping my small fuse #4 15a immediately. If someone can point me in the right direction it would be GREATLY appreaciated!

·
Premium Member
1,825 Posts
I would try to determine the exact source of the electrical smell and look for burned wiring/connectors. It's possible that something got fried when you installed the 20 amp fuse.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just find it odd that the fuse that is popping immediately is not the one that I upped the amperage.

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
22,860 Posts
Electrical gremlins are tough to internet diagnose.

Put your location, year and model in your profile so we know what you're driving. Also, are you the original owner? Done any mods?

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
My issue started about 2 weeks ago when suddenly my tail lights fuse #4 weren't working so I changed the fuse and went about my business. After that I started popping my turn signal fuse #16 along with that. About a week after that I was parked and was unable to put it into gear and after using the message boards figured out it was the horn/stop fuse. I have been replacing fuses left and right for the last 2 weeks and put a 20a fuse so I could drive and be legal till the weather warmed up. Everything was fine until yesterday when I started to smell an electrical smell so I got the truck home and started to research..... I found a post about aftermarket trailer harness being an issue so I disconnected my set up and hooked back into the factory and now I am popping my small fuse #4 15a immediately. If someone can point me in the right direction it would be GREATLY appreaciated!
I would try to determine the exact source of the electrical smell and look for burned wiring/connectors. It's possible that something got fried when you installed the 20 amp fuse.
Just for future reference of OP & any others reading this: THAT was not a smart move... you may have actually worsened your situation significantly (if you've burned wires somewhere). Fuse values are not something to be taken lightly & without risk of significant consequences (including burning down your vehicle). I hope this resolves easily enough for you... but there is a major lesson learned here. The "how did that happen?" is not as important as "why did I do that?". Just friendly advise. :)

Now that you are in electrical troubleshooting mode, and probably have some difficult short to chase down, I'd recommend you take it to an automotive electrical specialty shop. This is a very specific skill set for the most part.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts