Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took the Ridge to the dealer yesterday for a squeaking window and to remove the protective glue that was still on the Ridge. Sales guy took off in the Ridge to the back and 1 hr later came back and said there is a problem. He claimed that he went over a speed bump and the throttle would not respond. They ran a test on the Ridge and the code said throttle problem and the check engine light came on.

What the f*ck? This is a brand new truck that was running fine until the dealer drove it. They gave me a loaner to go home.

Anyone experience this problem? Thanks.

·
Registered
275 Posts
First of all, it doesn't matter how old the vehicle is, things malfunction.
Second, the best possible scenario for you is that something like this happened when the dealer was driving it.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Don't get to excited. Mine does the same thing. Go over a speed bump or in my case a cattle gard that's like a bump and I don't get a response right away. If I mash the throttle a little harder than you would normally then I don't notice it.

I'll take it in next week and let the shop check it out. Let us know what they do about your problem.

Tiger

·
Registered
461 Posts
This thread is a bit dated now. Anyone get an explanation?
I was driving through a parking lot the other day, and there are a series of speed bumps. Each time I went over a speed bump there was hesitation or lack of acceleration until I step on the gas more than is normally needed.
Anyone else see this phenomina?

·
Registered
303 Posts
Without driving it, it is hard to tell if what you are experiencing is a problem or just a characteristic. Honda's have always had a slight "gear hunting" thing..usually between 1st and 2nd gears...mainly when going into right hand turns. Some people always get to the exact speed when turning right and the car does not know what gear to get into...1st or 2nd. Others do it a speed that does not cause this problem at all.

I have not noticed the speed bump thing at all, but it probably has something to do similar to what is stated above with the right turn. You probably are just going into your speed bumps at just the right speed to confuse the Automatic Transmission.

Or it could be a problem. Take it into your dealer and road test with a tech....they can usually tell you on the spot. Of course, Murphy's Law will kick in, and whenyou get it to the dealer, it won't do it!!! :D From the sounds of it though, it sounds to me like you are getting to the speed bump at a certain speed...the speed bump itself would not cause the truck to do something different than on flat ground just accelerating.

·
Registered
71 Posts
i found that mine does it on right turns but mainly when the pavement is uneven at lower speeds aftermaking the same turn time after time it ended up being the traction comtrol (one day when taking the turn the light came on and back off the throttle pedal came back) i would think this would be normal its doing its job in my opinion

·
Registered
114 Posts
I'm quite certain this is a transmission issue as mentioned above. It is more associated with speed bumps and right turns because this is the time when you are at a slower speed and it cant find the right gear. Left turns are faster generally and the "hunting" issue is not present. Still if you are concerned have the dealer take it for a drive. good luck.

·
Registered
461 Posts
I really don't think I have a problem with my Ridge, but it was more of an oddity for me. Just curious about what others here have experienced.
I will ask about it next time I have it at the dealer though.

I have experienced the hesitation while the traction control kicks in, when starting out and turning on a slippery surface (flickering light on the dash). But the speed bump thing feels a bit different to me, so it may be the transmission hunting for the proper gear when going over the bump at a certain speed.

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
I also have experienced this hesitation coming out of a parking lot with a higher curb than the main road pavement. I think it is the traction control trying to figure out why one wheel is on the pavement and the other is still in the air. It hesitates to avoid a rollover/spin and then picks up the pavement again. I know this Ridgeline system is responding slower than any other traction control optioned car I have owned even though it is fractions of a second solwer, it is quite noticeable.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Driving over uneven surfaces or especially turning from to or off uneven surfaces causes the VSA to activate....braking and powering different wheels to compensate .... do a search on VSA.... :D :D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts