Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
797 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello again, thanks everyone for your help as I steer toward my first Ridgeline.

Yesterday, drove two 2013 RTLs, one with Nav, and am positively floored how different these two specs drove from one another. Makes me really wonder about them. They only discernable difference- albeit a big one- was the tires, one with newer stock Michelins (Truck Mich, 35k miles, NAV), the other still shod with snows (Snow, 46k miles). I have Carfax and service history, neither has anything interesting of note.

What I experienced was that Truck Snow felt slow, from a stop and during any acceleration, although very smooth and quiet in transmission. The steering was nice and heavy the way new electric racks just can't match.

Truck Mich was much more peppy, but the transmission seemed "loose" if you will, almost on the border of slipping (10-30mph) in the way a CVT can be when you barely give it enough gas to think. Also, this drivetrain was noisy, with some tapping and a wheezy sound that is actually quite familiar as an i4 sound to me as a Honda owner. I might not have found it strange if Truck Snow had not been much smoother and quieter. Also Truck Mich had much lighter steering and seemed to pitch side to side in the rear a bit more; I could only assume that was the tires. Overall, Truck Mich appeared to be better cared for than Truck Snow, but both seemed reasonable.

What could account for these transmission differences? Could a simple change of AT fluid fix up Truck Mich ? Any perspectives appreciated; thank you in advance !

·
Registered
385 Posts
It may be that Truck Mich needs a fluid change, or the previous owner might just have beaten the snot out of it, knowing they were going to trade it in. Be careful on the well-cared for appearance - could have just been detailed to maximize trade value.

Did you check the tire pressure in Truck Mich? Sounds like it was probably too low. I prefer the tire pressure much higher than stock.

Neither one will be slower or faster than the other, maintained the same way and with the same wheels and tires. To me, Truck Snow would get the nod - wouldn't want any vehicle with even any hint of transmission troubles.

Flymo

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
The computer does learn the driving style of the owner and it takes a while for it to unlearn, disconnecting the battery and doing the "Idle learn procedure" should get both truck to have the same fell on the accelerator.

Tires, tire pressure, and fluids ( transmission and rear VTM-4 ) can also affect the performance.

The Honda Navigation is worth zero - a Garmin 42LM from Walmart is a better buy than any Honda Navi update. I have a Honda Navi, and use my Garmin 42LM as it is easier to use and gives street names coming up and my co-pilot can input on it while I am driving, you practically have to be stopped and in park to do anything useful with the Honda unit - you co-pilot cannot input and address while you are driving.

·
Premium Member
797 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your input. Yes, I have the 2011 Ody Nav and its terrible, but I do like the full backup camera, so I call it a wash.

If anything, Truck Mich was the one with too much air pressure. I think the learning reset is probably the best bet. Did that a few times in my Odys.

I've already gotten suspicious of both trucks, and they are low mileage 2013s... statistically speaking, its more likely I am beyond paranoid than both units have anything wrong with them.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts