Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Engine Vibration only on Startup

Engine vibrates or studders on startup when cold or warm. Once started, engine idles and runs great with no misfires that I can tell. No Check Engine Light either.

Not sure if it's something with the timing or fuel pressure. I cleaned out battery posts and made sure of good connections; checked spark plugs and coils yesterday and they looked good. This morning I checked the fuel pump relay and fuse for the hell of it, but working good too. I have also checked for any loose connectors, vacuum hoses, and fuel leaks... and nothing.

Here's a video and my futile attempt to show what's happening on startup. You can notice it on the background the first 2-3 seconds or so. (I tried embedding video on this forum, but did not work for me).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E2bPVvEgvEA&feature=youtu.be

Never had this issue before, but it's annoying the heck out of me.

I recently added a can of BG44K fuel additive with full tank of gas to clean any deposits on the fuel injectors. I have always used good gas from reputable gas stations like Chevron, Shell, etc. I'm down to about 1/2 gas tank and this started a few days ago.

I was also thinking possibly EGR valve stuck open when starting, fuel pump regulator, leaking fuel injectors. Again, only does it when starting then idles great.

I took it to dealer but wanted me to leave truck overnight. They're too busy swapping out recalled air bags.

Anyone else had similar issues with their RL?

Thanks for any input or suggestions that can point me in the right direction!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wow. I hear it! That sounds terrible. Have you inspected your motor mounts?
Thanks for the suggestion zroger and actually, I replaced all 3 engine and both tranny mounts just recently with new OEM.

Everything was working good until this problem arose :(

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
I can't really get anything from the video (beeps drown everything else out for me).
But, given your description, I'd think maybe you've got something hampering your initial ignition, such as excess fuel or maybe even coolant in your cylinder(s)? Have you looked at your exhaust when starting up? If not, check to see if you get "noticible" white smoke on initial start up. That could mean you're getting some coolant seepage into cylinder after shutdown.... have you noticed any loss of coolant?
Otherwise, you might be getting some fuel seepage from a leaky fuel injection system?... giving you a 'flooded' state in one or more cylinders, while the rest are firing just fine.
These are just speculative given your symptoms, but you might check them out. FYI, if you had coolant seepage, it could be caused by a slowly failing head gasket, or the infamous #4 cylinder issue that could involve a minor crack in the head around the spark plug. IF this were the case, you might notice that spark plug looking distinctly different than the others (probably cleaner if you had coolant seepage). Probably not one of these, but you can rule them out easy enough.
Going way out into the "what it might be" imagination zone: I don't know how the Ridgeline handles start-up fuel management, but maybe there's a start-up fuel solenoid (or circuit) of some sort that is faulty..... Good Luck tracking down your issue.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Have you looked at your exhaust when starting up? If not, check to see if you get "noticible" white smoke on initial start up. That could mean you're getting some coolant seepage into cylinder after shutdown.... have you noticed any loss of coolant?
No noticeable white smoke on initial start up and no loss of coolant either.

Otherwise, you might be getting some fuel seepage from a leaky fuel injection system?... giving you a 'flooded' state in one or more cylinders, while the rest are firing just fine.
You hit the nail on the head there Dnick. Well, it turned out it was one of the fuel injectors that was leaking (#3) and seemed to be malfunctioning. I already ordered it and will replace it soon enough.

I just wanted to thank you for all your insight and for taking the time to help me and countless others. Sharing your knowledge with everyone has made this forum the best for RL owners.

Hopefully, this will help someone else that may encounter similar issues.

Happy New Year to you and everyone! Be safe!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
How about reading all the engine codes ? Not everything will turn on CEL but any good OBD2 reader may yield clues.

Have used this unit
Hello Henni and thanks for your suggestion. I actually have on order the Mini ELM327 which is a Bluetooth OBDII Adapter to use with the Torque app on my Android phone. This will help in the future to see 'live' some of the basic inner workings of my RL and check for some CEL codes.

It may not be as good as the Actron CP9580 you suggested, but hopefully it will get me through.

Thanks again for your comment. Warm regards.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts