Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Background: I have 115k on my '07 and have the water pump, thermostat, plug change and belts to finish this week on the full service. I've never had a mechanical issue.

Within the last 10,000 (guess), there's a slight hesitation taking of from a stop. It's faint but it's like a 1/2 second lurch and goes right into the steady acceleration. It's not enough of a hesitation that a passenger could detect but "I" know it, and that's a problem.

I've always used 87 octane, no ethanol. Nothing has changed in my driving habits, fuel, etc.

Fuel pump?

·
Registered
5,621 Posts
See what happens after you change the plugs. In the mean time, just try putting a bottle of fuel system cleaner in her (injector cleaner, etc.). I did this on a trip recently and seemed to notice smoother engine performance. You might also try a tank of 91 Octane just for grins. It won't hurt & doesn't cost you that much. If it's as subtle as you say, I wouldn't be surprised if any of these would yield results. Also, check your air filter. I would NOT suspect your fuel pump at all. (but what do I know?)

·
Registered
2007 Nimbus Grey Metallic RTL
10,024 Posts
Honestly sounds like a clogged injector or two. Even though you have used non-ethanol gas, it's still a possibility. I have sparingly used fuel additives, but I've never had a fuel issue. Twice, I've used a half a can of Seafoam in the gas to clean everything. I did notice a very slight increase in throttle response. Other products like Chevron's Techron or something similar would likely yield similar results. Give it a shot!

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, Seafoam was on my list for the next fill up. It could be the placebo effect but I changed the plugs and I don't notice it. I don't trust my own judgment. But then again that means I'm trusting the judgement that I don't trust my judgment... hmmm... Now I'm even more uncertain.

·
Registered
5,621 Posts
Thanks, Seafoam was on my list for the next fill up. It could be the placebo effect but I changed the plugs and I don't notice it. I don't trust my own judgment. But then again that means I'm trusting the judgement that I don't trust my judgment... hmmm... Now I'm even more uncertain.
Plugs were due. If you don't notice it, you're done. If it comes back, it will get your attention (like before) w/o you're "feeling" for it. I'd throw in a can of chem clean just for the hell of it anyway. Good to do from time to time. Helps injectors stay clean.

87 no ethanol.... you're lucky to have that available.

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
See what happens after you change the plugs. In the mean time, just try putting a bottle of fuel system cleaner in her (injector cleaner, etc.). I did this on a trip recently and seemed to notice smoother engine performance. You might also try a tank of 91 Octane just for grins. It won't hurt & doesn't cost you that much. If it's as subtle as you say, I wouldn't be surprised if any of these would yield results. Also, check your air filter. I would NOT suspect your fuel pump at all. (but what do I know?)
+1 on all this this! Let me add that I had a similar hesitation on my MDX and I ran three tanks through with FI cleaner and then I noticed a small difference. Plugs could very well be the cause of this too.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2007 Ridgeline with 210K miles and it has had the hesitation when you come off the line for quite some time. Within the last 10K miles it started surging at cruising speeds as well so I performed the 200K mile maintenance items, plugs, tranny fluid, I changed the #3 and #4 transmission pressure switches because I was getting the flashing (D)rive issue intermittently. I ran Seafoam through the tank 2 different times. Flashing D went away but the hesitation and surging still remained until I read about resetting the Throttle Position Sensor which I did just this morning. The hesitation is gone! I took it out on the hwy over lunch and it does not surge any more. I was contemplating new fuel injectors or fuel pump/filter but this makes the truck run like when I first got it. (24K) I cannot find the link to give them credit but this is what I did:
  1. Turn key to the On position, do not start the engine
  2. Turn off all electronics, radio, A/C, etc...
  3. Slowly press the gas pedal to the floor and hold (should take 5-7 seconds)
  4. Turn the key off and wait 2 seconds
  5. Turn the key to the On position again
  6. Slowly release the gas pedal, again 5-7 seconds
  7. Turn the key off
That was it. I drove it to work after that and did not experience any more hesitation. I hope this works for others because I was close to trade-in.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2007 Ridgeline with 210K miles and it has had the hesitation when you come off the line for quite some time. Within the last 10K miles it started surging at cruising speeds as well so I performed the 200K mile maintenance items, plugs, tranny fluid, I changed the #3 and #4 transmission pressure switches because I was getting the flashing (D)rive issue intermittently. I ran Seafoam through the tank 2 different times. Flashing D went away but the hesitation and surging still remained until I read about resetting the Throttle Position Sensor which I did just this morning. The hesitation is gone! I took it out on the hwy over lunch and it does not surge any more. I was contemplating new fuel injectors or fuel pump/filter but this makes the truck run like when I first got it. (24K) I cannot find the link to give them credit but this is what I did:
  1. Turn key to the On position, do not start the engine
  2. Turn off all electronics, radio, A/C, etc...
  3. Slowly press the gas pedal to the floor and hold (should take 5-7 seconds)
  4. Turn the key off and wait 2 seconds
  5. Turn the key to the On position again
  6. Slowly release the gas pedal, again 5-7 seconds
  7. Turn the key off
That was it. I drove it to work after that and did not experience any more hesitation. I hope this works for others because I was close to trade-in.
This works! Thanks for the info!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts