Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

Have you looked for the hesitation and felt it?

1 - 20 of 213 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This seems to be a legit issue with 2WD models, If you feel a slight hesitation with trying to accelerate from a turn, i.e. stop sign, yield sign, please take it to your nearest Honda Service Dept and let them know ASAP so they can pass this info forward and start looking into this deeper
Is anyone else having this issue?

Scenario:
Drive the vehicle in an open parking lot or road with a right (or left) turn with a yield sign.. as you slow down (get speedo down to around 5-10 MPH, make a 45 to 90-degree right turn and apply throttle, you should notice a 1-2 second delay. I have disabled the traction control and also tried it with overdrive/econ removed, and still no change. It reminds me of the 2009 GT-R Lemon law won video on youtube where they guy hits the throttle and the car just sits there. I hope honda reads this, we may have a serious issue here, so far 8 out of 24 people were able to duplicate this problem. It happens to me daily. :(

On another note, i an *not* having the lack of performance issue as someone stated in another thread. When i mash the throttle in a straight line at lower speeds, after the sluggish downshift, the ridgeline fights for traction on almost any surface. the tires chirp start to chirp, the traction control engages and the warning light flashes at me on the dash. Very impressed! This should go without saying, but try at your own risk!

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ridgeline RTL-E, Northeast U.S.
2,892 Posts
I have seen this problem. You're saying that low speed + acceration and/or turning + acceleration may result in 2-3 seconds of engine hesitation because of the Drive by Wire system ??

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't blame drive by wire. throttle input is throttle input if you ask me. I would blame a yaw sensor or something, or steering input, etc. something is limiting this vehicle from rapid acceleration and i was hoping disabling the traction control would disengage some other nannies. This is one of those issues that may not bother you now, but one day you may find yourself committing to a turn in a busy intersection and realizing you need to give her a little more gas than normal and your car is just going to sit there and go "Zzzz...." could be a safety issue. I hope more people check this a few times (safely) and report back if they find the same problem.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Sounds like the computer is keeping you from massive wheel spin. If you're hitting the throttle to 3/4 I can definitely see this happening. Even with the TC turned off, I think it's probably part of their torque steer control. I've felt other FWD vehicles to this, just gotta realize the limits of FWD and drive accordingly. Get it going first then hit it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Is the green ECO light lit on the dash when you make your turn? If so I'm guessing the lag is the VCM kicking in all 6 cylinders before putting the load on the engine.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I never had it in eco mode... VCM may be a possibility but honda should program their ECU smart enough to realize that instant power may be needed in a sharp turn. If the tires start to spin, let traction control step in. My 2014 CR-V would respond instantly if i had to mash the throttle making a 90-degree turn. I'm not sure if any tuners out there will get serious with this engine. I don't see many Pilot owners re-programming their ECU with different maps or using open source. I dont trust the diablo tuners, then again i haven't played with one since 2009. I'd like to manually control the VCM or whatever is causing this. It's bad enough IMO that honda needs to re-evaluate this and perhaps offer a re-flash as it could be a safety issue. It's that 1-2% chance that you'll need the instant power to clear an intersection to avoid a crash or lessen the damage and when you go to apply throttle, the vehicle will just roll like it's in neutral. I have a vibration analyzer after the BS i went thru with my 2015 CR-V vibration issues, but i don't have an accelerometer. Maybe there's an app that i can use to record what i'm experiencing and i'll over lay it into some dashcam video so you guys can see what i'm talking about.

·
Super Moderator
2,892 Posts
I've seen the problem myself, and I never use Eco. I asked the dealer to check it out when I brought it in for other things recently and they couldn't replicate the hesitation. I wasn't surprised since I can't replicate on cue either but I've seen it more than once.

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
22,586 Posts
I can't believe that's normal operation for DBW. My G1 RL is also DBW and has never exhibited that sort of sag/delay.

If you can reliably demonstrate that, I'd take it back to the dealer and show them what it does. Then, drive another RL (FWD or AWD) and see if it's a common issue. Since you have an RTL, you could have either a FWD or AWD. If FWD, I wonder if that might be related?

·
Registered
10 Posts
My Odyssey used to exhibit similar behavior when coasting to an intersection. If the light turned green before I came to a full stop, there would be a slight hesitation when getting on the gas to get back up to speed. I put a VCMuzzler on the van to disable the VCM and it hasn't hesitated since.

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
FWIW, this is one of those things I would speculate might get improved in subsequent production years (regarding opinions against 1st year buy concerns). New SW / logic issues usually require field data to gain full appreciation of residual issues in new designs.

·
Super Moderator
2,892 Posts
I can't believe that's normal operation for DBW. My G1 RL is also DBW and has never exhibited that sort of sag/delay.

If you can reliably demonstrate that, I'd take it back to the dealer and show them what it does. Then, drive another RL (FWD or AWD) and see if it's a common issue. Since you have an RTL, you could have either a FWD or AWD. If FWD, I wonder if that might be related?
I agree. That's the opposite of what Drive By Wire does.

·
Super Moderator
2,892 Posts
My Odyssey used to exhibit similar behavior when coasting to an intersection. If the light turned green before I came to a full stop, there would be a slight hesitation when getting on the gas to get back up to speed. I put a VCMuzzler on the van to disable the VCM and it hasn't hesitated since.
QuestIon: How old was your Ody when the symptoms first occurred? What year is the Odyssey?

·
Super Moderator
2,892 Posts
Is your foot still on the brake, even a lightly ??? that will happen in some cases, it did on my Gen1
No,not me. Since it was on the gas. ... I only do heel-toe when driving standard shift and then, usually when downshifting. Let's see what GTRdone says. But unless he drives two footed, I doubt this one.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I never hit the brake and gas at the same time... it happens every time when you are slowing down to make a right turn, say you are approaching a red light and right before you reach a complete stop, around 5-10 mph the light turns green, you make a right turn and hit the gas and the truck will sit there and do nothing. It would be one thing if the engine reved and the transmission was hesitating while shifting, but it's like the gas pedal is disconnected from the engine for 2-3 seconds , then it responds. I'm going to try to drive another 2wd and a 4wd today and see if i can duplicate the problem.

·
Registered
10 Posts
QuestIon: How old was your Ody when the symptoms first occurred? What year is the Odyssey?
Mine is a 2013 and it seemed to happened almost from day 1. I say "almost" due to it being my wife's daily driver so I only drive it occasionally. That, and the issue only presented itself in those certain scenarios when getting on the gas after coasting. Not sure there will be a SW fix as it's more of a self-protection behavior in attempts to save the active motor mounts. Allowing full-on power when still in an unbalanced 3-cyl mode would cause a heck of a vibration to be dealt with by those mounts.

1 - 20 of 213 Posts