Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
you seem to be very knowledgable in this area.

What exactly does an oil test reveal about how an engine is performing?

·
Premium Member
7,332 Posts
I would have posted the same info that shingles provided. Blackstone Labs is a good company. I've used them many times.

-Joe

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
shingles said:
I'm not cismo. But here is a link to get some information about oil tests.

http://www.blackstone-labs.com/spectrometry.html

Very generally - depending on what's in the oil sample, you can find out if your rings are wearing out faster than they should be, your bearings are going bad, if you filter isn't filtering properly, etc.

Was very interesting. Sometimeas we don't have to know how things work as long as we know they do. In this case, how true is that! Understood, but probably only because of a person interest in science and physics.

Thans again

L

·
0 Posts
Hey Jay...maybe you can dig the oil report up from Nicholas. I no longer have it because I was at the Honda dealer then. OR..maybe someone on here got it from him or me and still has it. :)

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
LadyRidge said:
Hey Jay...maybe you can dig the oil report up from Nicholas. I no longer have it because I was at the Honda dealer then. OR..maybe someone on here got it from him or me and still has it. :)
I take it nicholas (whos that?) has one?

·
Registered
119 Posts
By the way, if anyone here is a member of AAA (the auto service), they will do an oil analysis (and transmission fluid) for your truck for about $45 bucks each at their local 'AAA shop'. Not sure if they are State-wide, but we have one here in Nor. Cal.
I had this done on my 2002 Nissan Maxima I purchased from a private owners. The owners before them (found through Carfax.com) leased the vehicle, and I wanted to make sure the car wasn't abused...through the analysis.
It picked up that the tranny oil was high in some metal (which meant it needed to be changed). Best $100 I ever spent (for peace of mind) on the car.

L

·
0 Posts
lowrider90 said:
I take it nicholas (whos that?) has one?
Nicholas is a member. You can find him and PM him and try and get the report from him. He has been scarce lately because he has a new love in his life in Florida and he is from Ohio. :p

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
LadyRidge said:
Nicholas is a member. You can find him and PM him and try and get the report from him. He has been scarce lately because he has a new love in his life in Florida and he is from Ohio. :p
Well I can understand knowing that to find love in OHIO one must go to florida! LOL I bet he is a lot warmer in FL. Thanks for the advise, J

L

·
0 Posts
lowrider90 said:
Well I can understand knowing that to find love in OHIO one must go to florida! LOL I bet he is a lot warmer in FL. Thanks for the advise, J
And he seems very happy. :) What a great Christmas he'll have.
My pleasure Jay.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts