Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Corporate Honda needs to take a serious look at it's dealership network! While doing my internet search for the best price I discovered just how bad some of the Honda dealer ships really are. I was quite surprised knowing how good Honda products are. What's up HONDA?

ORLANDO, FL.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I tried to use the internet to purchase and would agree that Honda dealers are not responsive. I was very disappointed that very few would deal over the internet. If I had not wanted this perticular truck I would be driving another brand. I purchased a new Toyota Avalon over the Internet last year and the experience was better than great. Honda should learn from these other brand dealerships. The internet is the future and if the dealers continue to give the kind of service I got, they will have problems.

·
Registered
214 Posts
hi,

Mix results myself.

One dealer ( close to my work ) was having his parking lot paved at lunch when I stop by. I left my bussiness card, and he never called back.
( now thats worth paying hold back + ).

I used Edmunds internet and got two close to home. Price on one was about 1k over invoice.

The dealer turn out to be reasonable, got 500 over invoice.

I think dealers need to change. When GM was sitting on trucks the dealers looked at me with little interest in selling. I want to buy but all the dealers want to do is bleed you dry.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Mixed results for me as well... got maybe 30% response from dealers.
Honda should put more pressure down on the dealers to "behave" better. Unfortunately, many people equate dealership experience to manufacturer when it comes to cars.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Same here actually. I bought my truck almost completely over the Internet. I only got about 50% meaningful responses. The bright side of it is that the dealer I ended up buying the truck from was VERY responsive and had the second best price (by about $200). I ended up dealing with them because I appreciated their professionalism and also they were the only one to give me a no-nonsense "final out the door price" which, unlike oldguy's experience, they matched once the paperwork was completed.

·
Registered
346 Posts
I tried the same thing in Western Canada. Sent out approx, 50 emails with a return of 18 quotes....some by phone. The fear for a lot of dealers is that once they put a quote in writing, you'll simply take it to a local dealer for a match. I did not and stated so in my RFP. I am waiting for delivery of my truck in about 10 days or so in Van. B.C. I'll fly out and golf my way home to Alberta, vacation payed for and then some by the deal.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I had 3 dealers in Phoenix,Az who were just about taking me out to dinner to make a close to invoice sale through the internet. Unfortunetly for them, one of my local Honda dealers, Chapman Honda of Tucson, saw the deals I had worked out with them and came to the table with a great deal! Out the door in 1hr 45 minutes.

Mike Kennedy
Owner of Honda Ridgeline
Honda Odyssey
Honda Magna ;)

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have heard every story about a dealership at one time or another. Some of y'alls points are valid. Most dealerships are new to the world of internet shopping and have one guy in charge of the whole thing. Yes, even the large hard driven high pressure dealerships. Mine had two internet managers on duty (until one recently lost his poistion with the company). As far as I have seen at my low pressure small dealership, every email is followed up with either an email or a phone response. When shopping over the internet keep in mind that you cannot "see" the exact vehicle that you are dealing with, and can be surprised by many things including "Added Accessories" or excessive milage. Some of these could be the reason why they are so much lower than the other dealers. All Honda dealers pay the same price for their cars, and most have a similar discount availible for the internet. Therefore, 90% of your contacts should be within $500 of each other. If one is really outstanding, make sure you GO and see the car/truck for yourself first!

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
When looking for my RL, I requested quotes from 4 dealerships, all with 40 miles from home. No response from one dealer which makes you wonder why they bother offering the service. One dealer came back with about $1800 off MSRP, one at about $500 over invoice and the other at about $300 over invoice. I decided to visit the dealers with the two lowest bids and get a price on my trade to compare bottom lines. The first one I went to was the one at $500 over invoice. They offered me the same price as the Kelly Blue Book trade-in value for my vehicle, which I considered fair, especially since we received two stone chips in the windshield on the way to the dealer. I might point out here that the dealers in our area do not keep used cars on the lot that are over 5 years old. They are sold to wholesalers.
I was up front with the internet/fleet sales manager and said I was going to visit the second dealer before I decided, but that I thought that it was a fair offer. He then asked me what it would take to keep the deal there. After a little thought, I said that another $500 on my trade in would do it. He asked that I give him a few minutes and that he would get an answer. He came back and said that they could not increase the trade in because the price he quoted me was the highest price they had gotten from the wholesalers that they had called, but they would take another $500 off the price of the RL.
After getting out the abacus and doing some furious figuring, I came to the conclusion that they had met the figure I was looking for. So I got my RL for about invoice price and they installed the towing package (hitch, harness, drawbar, ball and drawbar lock) for $453.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
I purchased my vehicle through the internet sales departement. I tried using the internet sales department of several dealerships and they mostly came in a lot higher than other people on here were getting. Apparently the Ridgeline was selling well in MA at the time I was looking because no one wanted to deal. Just about 2 weeks later they were all dropping their prices another 2 grand.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Hi I'm 19 and live in Flagstaff, AZ. When I was first interested in buying a Ridgeline I went to the Flagstaff dealer to check one out. I told the sales man I wanted a white RTS which they didn't have at the time. He mentioned "it could be til the end of next month before we get any." I told him that if that was the case I would have to go some place else. He practically chased me out of the parking lot trying to sell me this black rts that had been sitting there forever. It was sand blasted. Oh but I'll sell it to u for invoice, he said. The paint was horriable. And to this day it still sits there. Thats not even the start of my problems. I had called down to Earnhart Honda of Avondale, AZ the biggest Honda dealer in the state. I told him exactly what I wanted, to be shocked by his reply. We currentally don't have one. So he said he would fine one and told me to come down in a couple of days and he would have it there. I went down to Phoenix about 120mile from where I live. I got there at 9a.m and waited at the dealership until 4p.m. that day. I was close to buying a Dodge(nextdoor). What pissed me off was that they wired the money ahead of time. So they had the money and I had no car. You would think if someone is paying in full for a car they would move thier ass and get it. Earnhart Honda is terriable and I would never recommend someone buy from them.

·
Registered
897 Posts
Yep I agree - Internet sales were a waste of my time. In my area I had Honda North, Atamian, and Commonwealth (and Peters). HN never replied, Atamian replied a week after I sent my email - which was unfortunately 4 days after my intended purchase date. Commonwealth wanted to call me - which due to my job I couldn't exactly do. Ended up buying from the first dealer that I test drove the RL at (Peters) suprisingly, and they gave me the best deal around. No internet or anything there - but they did have the most up to date website, which was unfortunate cause I knew how long my RTS was on the lot for when they tried telling me how many they move :D

·
Registered
218 Posts
mentallyabused said:
Hi I'm 19 and live in Flagstaff, AZ. When I was first interested in buying a Ridgeline I went to the Flagstaff dealer to check one out. I told the sales man I wanted a white RTS which they didn't have at the time. He mentioned "it could be til the end of next month before we get any." I told him that if that was the case I would have to go some place else. He practically chased me out of the parking lot trying to sell me this black rts that had been sitting there forever. It was sand blasted. Oh but I'll sell it to u for invoice, he said. The paint was horriable. And to this day it still sits there. Thats not even the start of my problems. I had called down to Earnhart Honda of Avondale, AZ the biggest Honda dealer in the state. I told him exactly what I wanted, to be shocked by his reply. We currentally don't have one. So he said he would fine one and told me to come down in a couple of days and he would have it there. I went down to Phoenix about 120mile from where I live. I got there at 9a.m and waited at the dealership until 4p.m. that day. I was close to buying a Dodge(nextdoor). What pissed me off was that they wired the money ahead of time. So they had the money and I had no car. You would think if someone is paying in full for a car they would move thier ass and get it. Earnhart Honda is terriable and I would never recommend someone buy from them.
It's not just Honda dealers. My 24 year old daughter went looking for a new car. Most treated her like an idiot. Several told her to bring her "Dad or boyfriend" to look! A Dodge dealer completely ignored her. There are too many poorly trained people "selling" cars. The dealer she finally bought from is the one I have purchased three Hondas from. They treated her like a professional should. It was good to know the high caliber of Elk Grove Honda. They are only two miles from my home and one could not ask for a better dealership.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Try being a black guy who hasn't shaved for a week and shows up in a T-shirt and sweatpants, it is a sure fire way to find the dealers who are willing to work with people and not just the richie rich looking people. I usually dress down to go car shopping for this reason. It is usually pretty funny when they look at my annual income and my wife's and then put them together. My wife thinks it is goofy, but I get tired of playing the game the old way and have to play it a little differently. Although this year when I went to look for a Colorado I was in a dress shirt, dress pants and shoes and the guy still blew me off without offering a test drive. Not sure what his issue was. I won't go shopping after going to the office again though that is for sure. Went to another Chevy dealership and they couldn't get out of their own way to come ask me to take a car out, I had to make an appointment because I was on my way elsewhere, just wanted a brochure which the previous dealership wouldn't give me either.

Going back to buying the Civic, we did the old dress down thing, and the first Honda dealership we stopped at wouldn't even let us test drive a car. Went to one of their other sites (same company) and they pulled down two of different colors and asked me which one I wanted to try. And then when they were done they asked if I had tried a Prius yet, and when we said now, they called a local Toyota around the corner and setup a test drive for us. Talk about night and day. This was on the same morning. So it really is a matter of getting the right dealership on the right day. And for those who wonder the Toyota didn't belong to the same chain of dealerships, and this chain did have a Toyota in another city but they were nice enough to arrange something locally, although they did ask that if we went with a Toyota that we consider buying from them rather than the competition.

·
Registered
484 Posts
captmiddy said:
Try being a black guy who hasn't shaved for a week and shows up in a T-shirt and sweatpants, it is a sure fire way to find the dealers who are willing to work with people and not just the richie rich looking people. I usually dress down to go car shopping for this reason. It is usually pretty funny when they look at my annual income and my wife's and then put them together.
Right on Capt. I like to do "dress down" for shopping too, throws em every time and is just another way to gain advantage. We already knew the girl I bought my RL from (we bought my wife's Accord from her in Feb.), but she was still a little shocked :eek: when I showed up one day on the bike in full leathers! :D

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
"Dressing down" reminds me of a story from back in the late '60s. In the course of my job I met the project supervisor for a major dam project in California. He told me about his experience with buying a car. He was interested in a Cadillac, so one afternoon after work, still dressed in his work clothes, he stopped at the local dealer. He browsed the inventory and no one approached him. Being a technical type, he got down on his hands and knees and looked at the suspension. He had pretty well made up his mind what he wanted, but still no salesman even came close. After waiting some more, he felt insulted and angry, at which point he walked out the door, went across the street to the Olds dealer and bought a model 98 and paid cash.
Which reminds me of another story related to me by a fellow Caterpillar rep. This happended the south, again in the '60s. A farmer walked onto the Cat dealer lot dressed in a t-shirt and bib overalls. He walked over to a row of D6s and closely examined them. After a while he came into the store and stood around. Not a single saleman came anywhere near him. After standing around a considerable amount of time, a non-sales person in the office finally came out and asked if he needed any help. He said he wanted to buy a D6 (close to $30,000 in those days), so the office person went and got the sales manager. After talking to the farmer about what he wanted, he asked how the farmer planned on handling the financing. The farmer started fishing in the pockets of his bib overalls and pulling out $100 bills rolled up like toothpicks. He paid cash for the D6 and the office person was given the commission.
Appearances can be deceiving.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
I was surprised by the negative or lack of feed back when seeking information about the Honda Ridgeline. Back in March before I ended up with my RTL
I use the internet to contact 6 different dealers in 4 different cities in LA.

All but one of the dealers responded by internet. I went to the Honda Ridgeline Website and built the truck with all the accessories that I wanted and ask for a price quotation. I followed up by driving to each dealer and doing a test drive and within 4 weeks I located a dealer that had the color/model/accessories that I wanted with a price that I could live with.
There was over a $3800.00 spread between the final 4. I had to drive 70 miles to save an additional $2,000.00 of MSRP.

I now take my truck to the local dealer and in two visits for service, the experience has been excellent. Today they took care and replaced the front door weatherstrip sub-seal (left) side at N/C. It had split about 8" and they replace the whole thing no question asked.

I must say that most of the dealers that I worked with were very courteous and tried to provide any help needed during the buying process.
I had one dealer in Baton Rouge which really did an excellent job of selling the benefits of the Ridgeline, but they were much too pushy to close the sale before I was ready. I went with the dealer which had a fair price and let me make up my mind when I was ready.
BCP:)

·
Registered
9,967 Posts
I found that most internet sales is just to get you to the dealership. Some have been totally non-responsive. I actually got a call from a dealer in Alabama that stated they just received my internet inquiry. I responded to the lady, "I don't think so, I purshased my RTL 5 weeks ago".

·
Registered
119 Posts
I'm Happy w/ Internet car shopping in California

Honda:
I had an INCREDIBLE 'turnout' via internet pricing here in Northern California. I found EVERY dealer totally responsive (and then some) when I used the internet for quotes. This was either through individual dealer sites, or through Cars.com, Autobytel, Edmunds.com, etc.
I had dealers emailing me often a few times a day asking for my business, as well as sending additional '$ off' email coupons to encourage my business and get the price even lower. We gave our business to Anderson Honda in Palo Alto, CA, after they posted a 'Honda blow-out ad' blurb on Craigslist. No prices were mentioned nor their location. I had well over 10 quotes from all over the Bay area via email/internet. They gave the lowest 'no haggle' quotes and were a pleasure to deal with.
The only issues we had were with the Finance guy who was selling the Honda Care product; and did a terrible job selling it to us (with major 'scare tactics'). We opted not to buy (after all, we ARE buying a Honda....)
I give Northern California dealerships a 10 (out of 10) with their quick responses to email and giving actual prices for their trucks.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts