Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts
Come now. Making a truck is childs play compared to a engine. Would you fly in a single jet engine plane made by Honda?

Japanese company is good at making a high quality proven technology economically. All things change so one day we may be flying in a plane with Honda jet engine but probably not in my lifetime because US government will not allow the American domination to lag.

Jet engine development and sale are heavily subsidized by the US government.

Although Honda jet engine may be employed for flying small cargo planes.

·
Registered
73 Posts
:D I wonder if I let my tail gate down would this fit in the back. I bet it would give those V10 Dodges a run for the money! :p

·
Registered
10,401 Posts
Great idea. An auxiliary tank would fit nicely in the trunk. Who needs NOX when you have jet fuel? :D

·
Registered
635 Posts
Blue

I must disagree on your thought of US protection of the engine industy.

Honda is the largest manufacturer of engines in the world, on the HF 118 engine they have partnered with GE the largest aircraft engine manufacture in the world.

The Japenese study a market for decades before coming to market. They have word for this long term planning, I can not remember right now ( I am good at long term planning. It's the short term memory thats the problem.

When Honda and GE formed there partnership it indicated to me something is coming soon as GE a US companies looks for rewards in the near future, a few quarters not decades.
Honda expressed concern that GE may not be able to produce the engines fast enough.

I was invited to speak at a business aviation conference in Nagoya Japan last in February of 2004 and I suggested at that time that the folks in Wichita should start circling their wagons. There is no doubt the Japanese have a plan to enter the light aircraft market, Toyota also has plans afoot.

In all liklyhood they will enter the market, I susspect they will dominate it in short order as they did with the auto industry.

The HF 118 engines initial development was made with Pratt an Whitney. They as usual have improved ideas from the PW JT15 engine and the Williams FJ44. The past will likely repeat itself the Japanese figured out how to make better Fords and Chevies, they will do the same with Jet engines. The neat thing about Honda is the that they spend there money on engineering so the product can not be put together poorly, their tolorances are extreemly tight. Many US manufactures try to maximize profit by quick and dirty engineering with loose tolorances, hoping careful assembly to make things work properly. The assembly line gets pushed and the build quality shows the flaws in engineering. Thats why I drive a Honda.

Steve

·
Registered
361 Posts
The real profit in airplane engine is on the military side, civilian jet engine is just the icing. when the US navy buys the Honda jet engine for the F-111, then you will be correct.

I know for sure that Chinese Air Force will not be buying the Japanese jet engine in the next several years. Chinese license Russian. No other Asian militaries will ever buy Japanese. Remember the Rape of Nanking? Bataan March? Comfort women?

So without the 2 largest military jet engine market in the world, Honda will have to sell to Russia, Africa , Eurpope, Middle East and South America.

Keeping in mind that Germans invented jet engine and the Russians were second, so Africa, S. America and middle east will buy Russian and German. So who & where will Honda sell to?

I do think they have a toe hold in small cargo with no military sales outside Japan. Mitsubishi has been trying to sell jet engine but no body is buying. They built the zero fighters for the Japanese invasions 60 years ago. Remember Pearl Harbor? Would any American executive fly in the Mitsubishi that bombed Pearl harbor?

Can you imagine Korean government buying Mitsubishi plane that tranported 400,000 Korean women to Japanese army brothels? I don't think so.

Sorry, Honda. You make a good car but jet engine is political (Even if it is better).

·
Registered
10,401 Posts
Blue said:
Sorry, Honda. You make a good car but jet engine is political.
You know, it wasn't that long ago when buying a japanese car was political.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Honda's problem is that it does not have a sizable domestic market for jet engine and is shut out of most of the foreign military markets. Remember you have to stock parts in every airport in the world to be a engine maker. Otherwise you can only land at the airports that stock Honda jet engine parts. this is very different from making cars. when you drive, you do not have to get the engine serviced at destination.

Domestically in Japan, there is not enough small airports to land executive planes. Internationally, it is a hard sell. I would not be surprised if Honda is trying to be the subcontractor for the jet engine market.

I am sure Honda will do well selling sub-assemblies. Who knows, they might invent something at half the price that will revolutionize the world. Honda can also buy a jet engine company and sell under their name. This is how the Japanese cracked the mainframe industry.

Life is much more complicated when tax dollars are involved.

·
Registered
996 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Blue, I think some of the issues you mention are probably part of the reason they partnered with GE. I'm sure GE will have no problem getting them over any political humps or parts supply problems. No one is more experienced then GE in this arena. I'm sure they own several senators. I hardly think Honda Execs are idiots and unaware of the logistical problems of bringing a jet to market. I think I read they expect to sell 200 of these business class jets every year.

Honda, certainly is in business to make money, but it seems to me they just have a genuine passion for technology like no other company and spend vast amounts on R & D that will not see profit for along time. Asimo is one example of this. Being a leader in Robotics and dabbling in jets doesn't only reflect their passion for technology, but also does a hell of a job of building brand. Truck engineering is primitive in comparison to the jets and robots, but I think it's the reason they excelled so much above the others in this first entry into the truck market. If you can make a bi pedal robot that walks up and down stairs, you sure as hec can build a mid size truck that is best in class.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Blue said:
The real profit in airplane engine is on the military side, civilian jet engine is just the icing. when the US navy buys the Honda jet engine for the F-111, then you will be correct.

I know for sure that Chinese Air Force will not be buying the Japanese jet engine in the next several years. Chinese license Russian. No other Asian militaries will ever buy Japanese. Remember the Rape of Nanking? Bataan March? Comfort women?

So without the 2 largest military jet engine market in the world, Honda will have to sell to Russia, Africa , Eurpope, Middle East and South America.

Keeping in mind that Germans invented jet engine and the Russians were second, so Africa, S. America and middle east will buy Russian and German. So who & where will Honda sell to?

I do think they have a toe hold in small cargo with no military sales outside Japan. Mitsubishi has been trying to sell jet engine but no body is buying. They built the zero fighters for the Japanese invasions 60 years ago. Remember Pearl Harbor? Would any American executive fly in the Mitsubishi that bombed Pearl harbor?

Can you imagine Korean government buying Mitsubishi plane that tranported 400,000 Korean women to Japanese army brothels? I don't think so.

Sorry, Honda. You make a good car but jet engine is political (Even if it is better).
Ahhhh. Hate to say it, but the Brits had a working jet before the Germans. Seems as if the Wittle Jet was around in the early 40's. the US and Brits were testing the jet aircraft in 43. The Germans on a parall track came up with th ier own and started production of the Messershmidt ME-44 late in the war. Tho a few did fly and did see action it was to little to late.

·
Registered
361 Posts
I did not know the Brits were the first in Jet engine. I always thought the Germans and Russians were before the Brits and Americans. In the history channel, the MIGs outperformed the F fighters jet planes during the korean conflict. Supposedly, more Americans were downed by the Russians. So I just assumed the American caught up later in jet fighter design.

In the case of Honda or Japnese jet engine, they have a image problem not a technological problem. That is why the Japanese always tag along the Americans to sell in Asia.

I saw a picture once of a naked 12 year-old Chinese girl who was gang raped by Japanese soldiers and bayonetted in the virgina with her legs spread eagle.. On the rifle butt there was a sign that says " this is what Chinese woman deserve" and the soldiers smiling in the background.

I do not think her relatives will be buying the Honda jet engine as long as the image still lingers.

I am not anti-Japanese or anti-Honda. I am just providing some historic perspectives to understand why Honda jet engine will not be popular in my life time. Eventually, as time passes and through education and inter-marriage, I am sure these feeling will pass aftter 2 or three generations.

Unfortunately for the Japanese, they invaded the largest markets in the world, China, Korea, Indo-china and Indonesia, unsuccessfully.

India might be a good market for Honda jet engine.

(Sorry if this thread is gettting too serious. This is my last post.)

·
Registered
635 Posts
Hay Blue, just noticed that you are a home boy.
My office is at the San Jose Jet Center, the company name is Corporate Air Technology. Feel free to swing by and I can show you about $300,000,000. worth of airplanes sitting in the Jet Centers hangars, this is not military hardware its corprorate and private, there are hundreds of airports like ours in the U.S. and I assure you Honda is interested.

Speaking of politicly incorrect, gaffing the government and the tax payers for the $200. hammer and the $2000. toilet seat is not currently politicly correct.
Companies like Locheed and Boeing have found it harder to make profit when they are under more intense oversight.

Cruise missles are a pretty profitable market but Sam Williams who makes the engine for the cruise missle is now making more money building engines for Cessna Citation CJ's and the like. G.E. is the largest jet engine manufacture in the world, they believe there is a place for the Honda engine.

As for the relationship of Japan and China, they were for decades mortal enimies, Japan has seen our interest in the economics of the pacific rim and they are mending fences rapidly to take advatage of this market, they are only fifty miles away, we need to travel around the world to reach this market. We got over Pearl Harbor, Time heals all wounds, Money heals political wounds even quicker.

Come on buy we can talk about trucks not politics.

Steve

·
Registered
635 Posts
Hay Blue, just noticed that you are a home boy.

My office is at the San Jose Jet Center, the company name is Corporate Air Technology. Feel free to swing by and I can show you about $300,000,000. worth of airplanes sitting in the Jet Centers hangars, this is not military hardware its corprorate and private, there are hundreds of airports like ours in the U.S. and I assure you Honda is interested.

Speaking of politicly incorrect, gaffing the government and the tax payers for the $200. hammer and the $2000. toilet seat is not currently politicly correct.
Companies like Locheed and Boeing have found it harder to make profit when they are under more intense oversight.

Cruise missles are a pretty profitable market but Sam Williams who makes the engine for the cruise missle is now making more money building engines for Cessna Citation CJ's and the like. G.E. is the largest jet engine manufacture in the world, they believe there is a place for the Honda engine.

As for the relationship of Japan and China, they were for decades mortal enimies, Japan has seen our interest in the economics of the pacific rim and they are mending fences rapidly to take advatage of this market, they are only fifty miles away, we need to travel around the world to reach this market. We got over Pearl Harbor, Time heals all wounds, Money heals political wounds even quicker.

Come on buy we can talk about trucks not politics.

Steve[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
361 Posts
I totally agree with you on all of your points.

Some amusing facts:

We just invaded Iraq because Sadam Hussein was a meanny. A bad man. No respect to America.

50,000 Iraqis died.

Can you imagine what we will do if Sadam Hussein invaded Washington DC, Raped and killed 20,000 American Women and girls in one week?

Then killed another 300,000 men prisoners in the following month?

***edit by T Mac*** (sorry...too graphic)

Now do you think her family will be buying Honda Jet engine?

·
Registered
635 Posts
This is a pretty graphic image. War atrocities almost seventy years ago may not be in the fore front of the minds of the Chinese currently.

When I visited Japan last year I was amazed that there were very few old cars on the roads. It appears that the Chinese buy them by the boat load. Yes I do think that the Chinese will by a Honda Jet engine if it is a value.

Now lets talk about religion. Not.

·
Registered
361 Posts
They are probably selling them in Indonesia, thailand and india. China is right side drive, like USA. Japanese car tires get slashed in china. Although Honda and Toyota have joint ventures in china sold under chinese name.

·
Registered
996 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Blue said:
I totally agree with you on all of your points.

Some amusing facts:

We just invaded Iraq because Sadam Hussein was a meanny. A bad man. No respect to America.

50,000 Iraqis died.

Can you imagine what we will do if Sadam Hussein invaded Washington DC, Raped and killed 20,000 American Women and girls in one week?
In this scenario, would Saddam also make one cool reliable truck? If he did, I would buy it. :D

Come on man. Honda is going to make a passenger jet, and I expect they'll sell it right here in America. They'll sell 200 as expected, and GE will make sure that they do. People get over things. Succeeding generations forget just like kids today could care less about pearl Harbor. The only person that can't get over what the Japanese did to the Chinese appears to be you. We killed far more Japanese with that second totally unnecassary atomic bomb. There was horrible civilian suffering because of it, and yet they're gracious enough to sell me a Ridgeline. :)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts