Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello good folks of ROC..

I wonder if anyone has seen HID conversions (do I just get the generic conversions on e-bay?) or projector head lights with Halo rings like the BMW 5 series? I think I would like some! :D

·
Registered
268 Posts
Please keep in mind that any headlight conversion is illegal. If you make this modification, you are banking on your local police not being able to enfoce this law.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Highly illegal, because most people just do a kit without a retrofit.

Meaning, install the readily available conversion kits without changing the housing.

Just a conversion causes glares because the stock headlight housing is not meant for HID bulbs. You'll blind on coming traffic. If manufacturers made full retro kits available from day one, it wouldn't be illegal.

Having said that, I'm looking into doing a full retrofit. Will end up most likely being too difficult to do. HID, if done right is awesome. Bright even lighting with a sharp cutoff pattern.

Too often people put on those blue/purple HID's to look cool. Those are worse than having mornal headlights as far as lighting up the road for visibility is concerned.

For great info on HID, visit

http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/

good luck

·
Registered
430 Posts
Although not quite HID, here are what the Sylvania Silverstar's look like.

I tried the e-bay blue tinted "HID" look a like lights and hated them. They were not as bright as stock lights and continually burnt out.

The pictures are on the second page.

·
Registered
953 Posts
mugen1 said:
Having said that, I'm looking into doing a full retrofit. Will end up most likely being too difficult to do. HID, if done right is awesome. Bright even lighting with a sharp cutoff pattern.
I have thought about this as well. Perhaps you could use the system from the S2000 and adapt some of the plastic inside the housing.

·
Registered
4 Posts
ravill said:
Hello good folks of ROC..

I wonder if anyone has seen HID conversions (do I just get the generic conversions on e-bay?) or projector head lights with Halo rings like the BMW 5 series? I think I would like some! :D
I have had a set of High/Low beam HID Catz System for a while now. I had them in my 2003 Toyota Taco dbl cab since January 2004. I took the system out when I sold the the truck and installed them in my Ridgeline the week after I bought it. I also installed H11 HID's in my foglights. I have never had an issue or got pulled over with either truck. I have Supreme white in the Headlights (6500K) and Regular white in the Foglights (6000k). The foglights are a little too bright I have to admit. There is no way to put a light canceling cap at the end of the bulb in the foglight. I did have 8000k in them and that was just crazy bright. I am going to put 8000k set in my 2006 Pilot which has projector now.
HID after market systems were suposed to be Banned but it fell through I guess. You are suposed to use them off road only. The issue is people put them in and do not re-aim them. Since the spot where the Kelvin is the brightest is different than the a stock bulb it makes the headlights aim higher. I have brought them down to one inch below normal at 25 feet and turned them in slightely to the right. I get no high beaming from on coming traffic at all.
Am I saying run out and get a set,,, ummmm be careful. I live in South Florida where dang near every car on the road has HID's. I guess that they just blend in. There in now conversion for the Ridgeline headlights. My wifes 03 Acura TL-S has identical headlight setup with factory HID the difference is the put a band on the HID to tone down Kelvin rating. I replaced them with non-banded lights and have had no issues. There are a lot of vehicle with this type of setup; none projectors headlights. My nieghbor with a 06 Escalade has the bands on his bulb and no projectors.
If you decide to get them stay low in the K (Kelvin) rating. A rating of 6500K or lower is best. 8000k produces purple blue like the Honda S2k. Factory lights mostely run at 5300K. Hide the Ballast and the ignitors in the fenders. make it look as stock as possible.
Once you go HID you will not go back. Heck I put a HID in my 1987 and my 1988 Honda Supermagna's http://www.hondasupermagna.com/magnavtxhidmod.htm .

Enjoy,
Brent

I got my last set from these guys.
http://www.hidynamic.com/

·
Registered
50 Posts
i heard yellow is the best color to illuminate the road at night, short of hids. that's why lexus fog lamps are all yellow tinted if you've ever noticed

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
danimal said:
i heard yellow is the best color to illuminate the road at night, short of hids. that's why lexus fog lamps are all yellow tinted if you've ever noticed
Technically, fog lamps are not intended for night driving but for driving in fog (which obviously could be at night too). People far to often leave fog lights on during clear nights and this affects the vision of people coming toward the vehicle. In some parts of the country this is actually illegal and can get you pulled over. So it would seem that yellow may be considered a good way of illuminating the road under obscured viewing conditions such as fog.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
danimal said:
Only in severe fog. And it's not just any yellow. It's something called selective yellow, which is actually the regular beam minus blue. The resulting wavelength is not reflected as much by fog as the regular "white" light.
In clear conditions you don't gain anything.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I had 4300k in my RSX, and I loved them. You don't need projectors for HID's there are tons of factory non-projector HID headlights out there. I never had an issue with my lights, I never got flashed or pulled over. If you stay with low k like 4300k you should be fine. 4300k is about the brightest, and the higher you go is just looks more blueish with less light. The first thing i plan to do when I get my ridge, is get a set of HID's.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts